“Nice location but nothing else to recommend”
Review of The Excellsior

The Excellsior
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We can only say how disappointed we were, on what was supposed to be a special celebration weekend, as my husband had retired that week.
The foyer is a dark and dingey, little tiled corridor, so our first impression was not good, especially when we had to wait about 15 minutes for someone to arrive from another location to check us in. That lady, who was just filling in, was very pleasant and helpful during our stay.
Our room, although quite spacious, was just so outdated and drab, and we were only able to watch free to air TV, as the Austar connection had been torn from the wall and broken. There was no hairdryer in the room - it was an extra charge from the front desk. The lounge furniture was extremely uncomfortable and faded.
The bathroom was quite large and contained washing machine and clothes dryer. The main problem in the bathroom was the large shower, which provided less than 5 minutes of hot water, and it was built so high off the floor that my husband hit the ceiling when raising his arms. The step down from the shower was tiled with treacherous tiles, which were so slippery that I made sure the bath mat was on the step each time.
Undercover secure parking was good, although the driveway is the steepest, most difficult access we have ever seen, and the roller door was not working well.
Sadly, I think I am posting my first ever negative review, and we will be looking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank I_love_Drumnadrochit

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights while we looked for more permanent accommodations in Mooloolaba. To be honest, we were slightly disappointed with the quality, cleanliness, and customer service for the price that we paid. Upon arrival at noon, there was no one at the reception desk, so we called a contact number posted on the door, she arrived 10 minutes later, and took an additional 15 minutes searching for our reservation in her computer to no avail, ended up showing us to a room, and never saw her at the reception desk again as it was always closed. The location is great, right on the river and only a half mile to the esplanade. For a few nights its ok but the dirtiness of the accommodations would make me look elsewhere for the same price.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

On arrival our preferred configuration of room was not available therefore the manager moved us up to a Top Floor room and had the room configured to our preference. That was the good bit, but it ended there. The property advertises as FOUR star, however upon further check I found that this was SELF rated. The apartment was very poorly maintained, and it was obvious that the cleaners were not very thorough in their work. The cabinetry was showing signs of wear, and the bathroom floor was dirty, and the shower desperately needed maintenance. I made a list alpha. which got to (v), and tried to aprise the manager of its content. The following day he said that it would probably be best if we found another property and moved on. We didn't,it would have been too inconvenient, but I resolved to write my review instead. The price for the stay was as quoted, and is probably good value, however there is absolutely NO WAY that this is four star, 2.5 is perhaps closer. It would be interesting to see what a reputable Star Rater would give. I wonder why the property chose to SELF RATE!

Room Tip: If our room is any guide, my tip is go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David H
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My sister and I stayed here during the Summer and it was a fantastic location, only a short stroll to the beach and the apartment itself was a really great size. We had rented a double and we had a huge living room and kitchen all to ourselves. And we have to say a huge thank you to the husband and wife who own and run the Excellsior, they were so helpful and lovely to us. The customer service was so personalized, I can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Janette M
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Having spent 5½ weeks at the Excellsior Apartments in Mooloolaba we can only say it was a great base for our visit to the beautiful Sunshine Coast and Hinterland area. It is far enough from the bustle that is Mooloolaba and in a very quiet location on the river/canal, yet close enough to walk to everything (bus 80 mtrs., beach approx. 600 mtrs.). We found the unit very well appointed and comfortable. All the units are 1 bedroom apartments with full kitchen and laundry facilities, and balcony. Our unit, No. 7, on the first floor, had been recently renovated and was very bright, modern and clean, with a particularly large shower. There is a good entertaining area with gas BBQ and tables & chairs under cover and a small pool with separate spa bath, which we found very pleasant. There is secure underground parking. The management couple, Brett and Yokita, were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked a top floor apartment for Friday and Saturday night over the weekend just past.

I was initially delighted to find the staff were very helpful for arranging an afterhours check-in as I had obligations to meet in Melbourne that afternoon.

The apartment was fresh and clean upon arrival, it had all necessary amenities and the rooftop deck was superb for a few relaxing drinks in the sun on saturday.

The price for the penthouse was $170/night, which I was delighted with, considering the prices for the nearby hotels.

I will definitely recommend Excellsior to friends and family in future.

Room Tip: I was in room 29, but any 5th level apartments would suffice as I am to believe that they all come w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

As we'd already stayed beachside at Mooloolaba we were looking for a different aspect. Yogita offered us keys to view 2 apartments. Room 27 on the top floor had a rooftop patio and a good wraparound balcony with access from both the bedroom and dining/lounge area. Great canal views - a bit shady. We particularly appreciated thegreat shower pressure, bathroom vaniety light , full length mirrored wardrobe doors and free washing machine powder. Sure it's a bit dated , the lift creaks and the pool and spa weren't heated during our stay but it's great value with friendly staff and handy to everything. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher canal side room.( The side opposite reception)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple