“What a gorgeous apartment” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantra Zanzibar

and 1 more site!
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Mooloolaba
Brisbane, Australia
“What a gorgeous apartment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

We've stayed in this apartment once before but the apartment has obviously been fully renovated and the result is amazing. We stayed with friends (two couples) and we had the second bedroom. Bed was really comfortable. Obviously two king singles that had been joined to make a king-size bed. The cyclone was having it's impact on the waves so we had a great time sitting on the balcony watching the surfers. There was a daybed on the balcony which was a new addition and it was great to sit on there having a glass of bubbles watching the passing parade. Views both ways - south and north. We always book through G1 Holidays as the secret is definitely being able to chose the apartment you want. We stayed in 702 which is on the 7th floor and has great views. I see that other people have had trouble with the cleanliness of the apartments. I can only state my own experience and the apartment was lovely and clean. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank BeeJay54
MantraGM, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, March 2, 2015

Mantra Zanzibar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

We have just returned from spending 6 nights at Mooloolaba from 27 December to 2 January. We chose the hotel a little late but were assured the courtyard room, which was priced higher than other rooms due to having a spa and BBQ had OCEAN VIEWS. In fact I think the girl my wife spoke to stated there were ocean views on all foor at least 5 times.To begin with, the hotel was well positioned and the New Years festivities were absolutley fantastic. The hotel itself is dated and the room we had (202) courtyard needs to be refreshed for it to remain 41/2 star I'm afraid. The aircon resets itself which cancels out all the of clocks, nomrally at around 1.00am and doesnt trun back on until you wake up hot and stuffy and turn it back on yourself. There was what appeared to be faeces smeared on the wall in the ensuite just above the toilet roll holder. The carpets and rug in the loungeroom were filithy, not good for young children who like to play on the floor. Both our children ages 4 and 2 got colds and needed to see the doctor for medication, not sure if this was from the aircon or just an unfortunate thing. The pre-fab door which was to conceal the refridgerator and match the remainder of the kitchen was ripped off and thrown next to the washing machine. The fridge was way to small for a family of four and one of the shelves on the door was missing. The dishwasher didn't work properly and took about 4 hours to clean dishes. We did have ocean views...IF YOU STOOD UP...and looked through the tress which were on the street, SO I GUESS THIS WOULD BE LIMITED OCEAN VIEWS IN MY OPINION! for if you sat down I'm afraid you didnt see anything. The spa was nice and hot and if you sat in that you got limited ocean views. The barbeque was really good and got good heat to cook meat. Our friends really enjoyed the BBQ we put on. The coffee table in the loungeroom had a glass top and was not fixed to the table and with little children was a bit of a worry. We could have actually not worried to much of what I have meantion until we found our courtyrd was being used used as a dumping ground for those inconsiderate smokers in the rooms above who threw there butts beer tops from their balconies and my kids ended up finding them, One on occassion we also had those from above throwing the buckets of water onto their balconies to clean them which ended up also in our court yard. Over all our family had a wonderful holiday at Mooloolaba. We have travelled around the world and can honestly say that Mooloolaba would put the likes of most seaside destinations to bed. It is without doubt the most wonderfu locations to visit in the world. We would stay again at this hotel BUT DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDING STAYING IN THE COURT YARD ROOMS!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank RandomBrisbane
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 14, 2010
Dear RandomBrisbane,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us at Mantra Zanzibar. We greatly appreciate this feedback as it allows us to continually improve the services and standards we offer our guests. I have noted your comments with regard to the standard of the apartment, you will be pleased to know we have a number of apartments currently undergoing refurbishment and our aim is to have all apartments completed in the near future.

I have asked our Maintenance team to look into the issues you have mentioned with regard to the air-conditioner and dishwasher when the current guests depart, as neither of these issues have been reported previously in this, or any other apartment. Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the apartment have also been passed onto the Housekeeping team, and it is unfortunate that we were not made aware of these issues during your stay so we could have rectified them to your satisfaction.

As we are located directly opposite the beachfront all our apartments certainly do have a view of the ocean, however there are some trees on the foreshore (which can be seen in Rocky_Traveller_83’s photos) which can block the views from some angles. Unfortunately the ocean is not visible from all areas of this apartment, and the same is true for all apartments including those on higher floors.

Thank you once again for your feedback, should you be returning to Mooloolaba in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally handle your booking.

Toowoomba
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

Have just recently returned from a stay at the Zanzibar penthouse apartments. I had read reviews prior to going but thought people may have just been fussy when I read the complaints and I must say Ive never written a review about a place. I enjoyed my stay at the unit however for a penthouse apartment (paying $600 a night) I must say I was expecting an immaculate room. It needs some good maintenance and a good clean, new carpet and new paint. We also found the roof top area had many cockroaches at night which wasnt very nice. We also found a bandaid and chip packet under the couch so the general cleaning must be brief. The view and location however, was absolutely stunning so it made the stay lovely. We go to the coast quite a bit and enjoy staying in different places but I wouldnt stay in a penthouse here again and pay this price for this type of accommodation.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank LehmannToowoomba
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 19, 2010
Dear LehmannToowoomba,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience, and please accept my apologies that the penthouse apartment failed to meet your expectations. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment progam here at the resort, with almost a third of apartments now completed.

Your comments regarding the items under the couch have been shared with our Housekeeping department as that is certainly not our usual standard. It is unfortunate that we weren't made aware of this issue during your stay, as well as the issue with the cockroaches on the roof - we do get some that live in the gardens from time to time however we would have certainly been able to rectify these things for you so you may have enjoyed your stay even more.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and should you be returning to Mooloolaba in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can ensure your next stay exceeds all expectations.

victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

Just arrived home after a wonderful stay at the Zanzibar. My 2 sisters and I took our mum on her first flight and also first trip to QLD. After booking the resort and then reading the reviews I was a little concerned as we were wanting something special for our mum, but the place was perfect. We had a 3 bedroom apartment on the 9th floor with spectacular views, the apartment was clean and we had everyting we needed. The reception staff were all very helpful and very friendly.
The location was fantastic with the lift taking you straight down into the shopping and eating areas. There was no need for a car as everything is right at your door.
We all had a wonderful time, thanks to the resort and its staff for making this such a lovely trip with our mum.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank jenny3380
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, November 8, 2009
Dear jenny3380,

Thank you for choosing the Mantra Zanzibar for your recent stay in Mooloolaba. We greatly appreciate all guest feedback as it allows us to continue to maximes the level of service we provide our guests.

I was very pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your special break with us, and I have shared your comments with the rest of our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mantra Zanzibar on your next trip to the Sunshine Coast.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed at the Zanzibar the weekend 6-8 June and had an absolutely fabulous stay. We booked through Wotif.com and only after booking did we happen across the reviews on this page - needless to say I was worried about what we were letting ourselves in for.

On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist, and then proceeded to the extremely secure car park, which has wide spaces, so no worrying about coming back to dings in the doors.

The lifts to the apartments are clean and exceptionally quick, we never waited more than a few seconds for a lift.

Now to the apartment, we stayed on the 7th floor, and walking in were amazed with what we saw - the apartment was large, spacious, clean and fitted with high quality furniture. Both the master bedroom and living room had flat screen tvs, and also a dvd player and stereo system. The whole apartment was very clean and well maintained.

Good size wardrobes, and plenty of extra pillows and blankets are provided. The shampoo and bodywash is just divine - fresh and invigorating. The kitchen was well fitted with all the appliances very clean and in excellent condition.

Sitting on the balcony overlooking the beach was just fabulous, we chose to have breakfast there rather than venture out, and also spent time in the evening watching the sun go down.

The pool area was clean and tidy - and best of all the heated pool was heated to the perfect temperature. I didn't see anyone using the bbqs but these too looked to be kept very clean.

The location of the Zanzibar is perfect - right in the centre of the Mooloolaba esplanade, we didn't have much noise from the people down below, only the lorikeets at sunset tended to make any noise (and simply shutting the balcony doors cut all noise out)

All in all, we had an excellent stay at the Zanzibar and wouldn't hesitate staying there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Redcliffe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

The only reason we didn't ask for another room is that we figured they would all be the same. The balconies are nice and big, but unfortunately filthy like the rest of the room. The windows look like they haven't been cleaned in months. We opened the fridge and a cockroach jumped out. We opened the dishwasher and a cockroach jumped out ! During a 2 night stay, we killed 10 cockroaches, and those were the ones we were able to catch. The phone was disgustingly dirty, the walls were covered in greasy handprints and smears, the glass balcony rail had what looked like smeared food on the inside of the glass. Thank heavens we weren't preparing food, because I wouldn't have trusted any of the utensils or plates to be clean.
The location is magnificient and the view spectacular, but next time I would stay next door.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank leyshoja

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

I recently stayed at Zanzibar with my partner and some friends for a weekend treat....and what a treat it was! We booked through GQ Properties at Mooloolaba because you can view and choose rooms by looking on their online site. I would definitely recommend doing that rather than turning up and taking the chance on what room you get, because they are all different. We chose room 905 because we were told that it has been recently refurbished... and as a bonus to us......the second bedroom could be made up with a king size bed for our friends. The apartment has 2 bathrooms, main room with ensuite and spa bath and the second bathroom is shower only. The kitchen is beautiful with sparkling marble bench tops and down lights. Everything seemed to be fresh and fairly new. There is a small laundry with a dryer....which we used to dry our towels after going to the beach. We also made a little use of the cable TV as the men were drawn to the sporting channels.....who could have guessed.

I agree with some of the other reviewers that the common areas do need a bit of a lift, but there was nothing that really disturbed our stay. As I have only just checked other reviews on Trip Advisor I guess we were extremely lucky in our choice of rooms.

We enjoyed a private happy hour on our front patio, overlooking the ocean before heading out to eat both nights, so we didn't use the kitchen (except for tea and coffee)....but it had full size fridge/freezer, full size stove, microwave and everything you could need to be self contained. We used the on site parking, but never had to take our car out until it was time to go home.

I have been to Mooloolaba quite a few times for short weekend getaways with family and friends. The cafes are plentiful and many have great food. Try Semo's tagines for very tasty meals and O'Malleys for a cheap pub meal and a few drinks. We normally stay in cheaper motels down the back of Mooloolaba and walk up each day.....but being able to take the lift downstairs and be right in the middle of the shopping and cafe district was wonderful. We will be back.....We loved it!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends