My adult children recently booked and paid for a two night stay at Zanzibar as a birthday treat for me. We walked into the allocated two bedroom apartment shortly after 6pm, tired and hungry after a long drive, to find hair and grit on the beds, food stains on the breakfast bar seating (and on the ceiling over the kitchen counter), dirty carpets/floors and a stale smelling en suite bathroom. We picked up the phone to call the night management and discovered the phone was as grubby as the rest of the unit. While waiting for clean bedding to arrive as promised we looked around the reminder of the unit and discovered what appeared to be a spider egg sac in the hinge of the oven door, cobwebs hanging off the roof of the master bedroom and a significant layer of dust on all Venetian blinds and window ledges. After showing the issues to the night staff we were provided with a key to a 3 bedroom unit we were assured had been checked for cleanliness prior to giving us the keys. Unfortunately the second unit replicated the first in terms of cleanliness with the unwelcome addition of cockroaches beside the fridge and a selection of dubious stains on the throw on the master bed. We ultimately booked elsewhere and relocated rather than continue changing apartments at Zanzibar in the hopes of getting one we were willing to stay in. The delays and change resulted in us finally getting to local restaurant for dinner after 8.30 that night and because we ended up having to book elsewhere at such short notice, and in such unfavorable circumstances, my children ended up paying higher rates for a lesser rated and located resort.
It is appreciated that the manager at Zanzibar called my son the next morning to discuss and apologize for the experience and I am relieved that they were provided with a full refund. However it is immensely disappointing so much of my birthday evening was spent on securing accommodation, when this was expected to have been pre arranged. For this to then be followed by a hurried meal in a restaurant where the kitchen was closing due to the late arrival was far from being the treat my children had wanted me to have. Definitely not the Mantra standard I expected of this brand!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking Mooloolaba Bay, Mantra Zanzibar offers beachside accommodation with a strong East African influence in the heart of cosmopolitan Mooloolaba. Offering style on the beach, the property is close to everything your heart desires including shopping, restaurants and sidewalk cafes. Indulge in the latest fashions and giftware from around the world in the surrounding boutiques. Accommodation choices include 2 and 3 bedroom apartments all with quality furnishings and African inspired decor, air-conditioning, private balcony with panoramic ocean views and an indulgent spa bath. Other standard features include a fully equipped kitchen, laundry, cable TV, DVD player, internet access and hairdryer. If you're after more space, upgrade to our courtyard apartments which feature all of the above plus a private courtyard area with barbeque and outdoor spa or for the ultimate in luxury book our two or three bedroom penthouse. You will enjoy all the resort facilities and services you need with an outdoor heated pool and spa, fully equipped gym, complimentary undercover parking, in-room internet access, tour desk, child minding and laundry service. Mooloolaba is home to many of Queensland's best attractions including UnderWater World, the Eumundi Markets and just 20 minutes drive away is the famous Australia Zoo. Located on The Esplanade we are just minutes walk from trendy sidewalk cafes, bars, restaurants and boutique stores making for a truly memorable getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mantra Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Zanzibar Hotel Mooloolaba
- Zanzibar Hotel Mooloolaba
- Zanzibar Apartments
- Zanzibar Hotel Apartments
- Mantra Zanzibar Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast