“Great Stay!”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Mooloolaba
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were in room #205 right near the pool, so there was a constant banging of the pool fence which got annyoing at times!
When the toliet was flushed it would keep running for a good minute which became annoying after a while
There was skirting missing
We had our own private spar which was amazing because we didnt know we were going to have one. The water level was abit low at most times. So we had to fill it with a hose.
Resort pool was smaller than what they made it look in the pictures, the tiles were grotty and the spa had missing tiles.
The sound of win blowing through our front door was very annoying when trying to get to sleep.
The kitchen was amzing and very modern.
The lounge room sofas needed replacing.
The T.V. was small and the reception was terrible in bothe the lounge and master rooms.
The ocean view was great as well.
Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on level 2 for your own spa, BBQ or get a room higher up with a much better view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Corey C,

Thank you for reviewing your stay here at Mantra Zanzibar in one of our Courtyard apartments, and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the private outdoor spa and BBQ that these apartments feature.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Zanzibar next time you are visiting the Sunshine Coast.

Mantra Zanzibar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just spent 5 nights at the Zanzibar and could not fault it. Firstly we were upgraded to a penthouse with spa and bbq on the roof. We had 2 minor maintenance issues that were dealt with promptly, thanks to the friendly staff.The service could not have been better. The postion is great, right in the heart of the restaurant district and across from the patrolled beach. We will definately be returning.

Room Tip: Penthouse great for couples travelling together
Dear Carmel G,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at Mantra Zanzibar, and it was great to read that the service, location and apartment "couldn't have been better".

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Zanzibar in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Over the weekend I stayed at Zanzibar in Mooloolaba with my family, for my dad's 60th birthday.
We had stayed there previously and had been happy with the service and rooms, even though the furniture and appliances were dated.

Our first and MAIN complaint is the staff’s customer service. The second is the lack of maintenance of the rooms.

Customer Service:
Upon arrival we went to reception to make sure we had 2 car spaces, as we were staying in a 3 bedroom penthouse. The young girl on reception said, that as the majority of apartments were owned, they only could supply 1 car park. I thought that this was ridiculous, especially when paying for a 3 bedroom penthouse. Anyway we proceed to ask this young lady, that if we only had 1 car park, where she would recommend that we park. She recommended across the road in the main car park, but up the back, as the front was only 3 hour parking and the back area was unlimited.

We double checked with her and she assured us that it was fine to park there. So we got back into our cars and parked in the back area of the main car park. We then unpack a load of our bags and trekked across the car park back to the hotel. When we went up to our room our parents advised us that they were told that we did indeed have 2 car parks. We went down stairs and spoke to an older lady on reception who confirmed this. We then moved one of our cars to the car park under the hotel and left another car in the unlimited car park across the road.

The next day we went down to get an item out of the car across the road, and found a $50 parking fine! We thought that there must be a mistake as the young girl on reception assured us that we could park there. After speaking to my parents and telling them that we received a parking fine, I went downstairs to speak to a person on reception. When I approached the older lady on reception and told her that we had received a parking fine, after being assured by a member of her staff that it was unlimited, she looked at me as though I was stupid and shrugged her shoulders! Now this really got me angry. She went on to ask me what the signage said and I admitted that I was unsure, she said I should have read the signage, as it is only 3 hour parking across the road. I went on to say that we were aware that the front area was 3 hour parking but was told the area out the back was unlimited. She then interrupted me to look at a vintage car that was in the reception parking bay. I just stood there, completely stunned. How dare she, firstly not even apologise and say ‘that she will make sure her staff don't relay this information to their customers in the future’, but she had the nerve to rudely interrupt me and make me, the paying customer, feel like I was not worth listening to.
I found her customer service unacceptable, why get into hospitality if you are not interested in making sure your customers are 100% satisfied with your service.

Unfortunately I will be telling all my friends and family this encounter and will not be staying at the Zanzibar in the future.

Maintenance:
I would like to make the hotel aware that their rooms are in need of a refurbishment or a little TLC. Doors in our penthouse apartment were difficult, some near impossible to open, some window latches were broken off so you could not open the window. Some of the walls had dodgy patch work, where it looked like a fist had gone through it. The air conditioning was all over the place, some rooms were freezing, while others were hot and the air conditioning vents were leaking water onto the kitchen table top. I know times are tough, but if a customer is paying quite a bit of money to stay at your hotel, you would think that at least the air conditioning vents wouldn’t be leaking onto your food preparation space.

The experience was not all terrible but the customer service has left a bad taste in my mouth and I will be advising people not to stay at the Zanzibar.

Being friendly isn’t a difficult task.

1 Thank Catherine W
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Catherine W,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us here at Mantra Zanzibar, and please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered with the staff at Reception. Unfortunately there are only limited car spaces in the secure garage for each apartment and I apologise that the staff were unable to clearly direct you to the area of unlimited parking in the public car park, and for the level of service you received when raising this with them.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I certainly hope this experience does not deter you from staying with Mantra Group in the future. Should your travel plans bring you back to Mooloolaba please do not hesitate to contact me as we would welcome to opportunity to make this experience up to you.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a year ago at the Zanzibar. It would appear from the other comments here that nothing has changed.

They advertised themselves as 4 star... What a joke. 1 or 2 star maybe... Obviously self rated.

Everything was filthy. Carpets hadn't been vacuumed, dishes in cupboards had food on them, dirty marked walls, dirty pool, internal 2nd bedroom smelt bad and the worst were the dirty sheets and bedding.

Asked for the manager who finally came at 9pm at night. He said he couldn't shift us to another room as the owner of our room would have received our money already. No refunds. Offerred to have the room recleaned but by then we were just over the drama.

We checked out and lost 6 days prepaid accommodation. But it was really worth leaving... No point staying in a dump and being unhappy.

Contacted the management head office and were told no refunds but they would give us a 20% discount off our next stay... WHAT A JOKE!!!! Not impressed :-(

It's such a shame to read others are continuing to have these problems. If there are good stories I wonder if its staff or owners making it up.

Oh well... Learnt the hard way to always check Tripadvisor before booking and book through a travel agent or don't pay in advance if in doubt.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Mmbow
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Mmbow,

Thank you for your somewhat belated review of your stay here at Mantra Zanzibar. Unfortunately due to the annonymous nature of TripAdvisor reviews I'm unable to verify from your details the specifics of your booking, and we have no correspondence on file which matches the scanario you have described.

We welcome all feedback so if you wish to discuss your review in more detail and provide some details so we may investigate your concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights over New Years...in a 3 bdrm unit.....bedrooms are very small but lounge room and kitchen area are very spacious. The kitchen layout is strange but works. Location is great as it was close to shops and cafes. The worst part was one of the 2 front desk clerks was extremely rude and totally unhelpful. She was unwilling to do anything. We had a lovely family holiday but dealing with her really tainted our stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Kathleen T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us here at Mantra Zanzibar. It was great to read that you enjoyed the apartment and location, and please accept my apologies for the dealings you had with one member of our Reception team.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mantra Zanzibar in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I totally agree with jasonlewis34. We have just returned from our stay at Zanzibar for New Years and the only reason we didn't leave was because everywhere else was booked out! The place was a disgrace and should be knocked down! First of all we weren't able to check in until 3pm even though check in is at 2 and we were given attitude by the staff when they were the ones that had screwed up! After some words were exchanged we were given breakfast vouchers for this but when wE tried each morning to get breakfast we were told they were booked out so we have up by the third day and have the vouchers back. We stayed in one of the penthouses and paying almost $2000 for 3 nights you expect it to be the best as they say on their website, far from it though! Our room smelt, the door to the balcony didn't lock (not real comforting at night with a 3 year old)! The rooftop spa should not be allowed to be used. It had timber and nails falling off it everywhere, my 3 year old had 3 splinters pulled from his toes when we were on the rooftop. If it wasn't booked out everywhere on the coast I would have left 5 minutes after arriving at Zanzibar! So disappointed!!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Tracyswansson
Dear tracyswannson,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at Mantra Zanzibar on TripAdvisor and with us directly via email, and once again please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced with your stay. It is regrettable that these were not raised with us during your stay as we certainly could have assisted in resolving these for you to allow you to enjoy your stay as intended.

As I mentioned in my seperate correspondence if I can assist further in any way with regard to this matter please do not hesitate to contact me.

London
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed in a three bedroom apartment for two nights at the beginning of December. We checked into our room which clearly either hadn't been used for a long time or hadn't been cleaned for a long time. It was run down and the air conditioning didn't work. As we paid $960 for two nights accommodation (!!!!) we asked to be moved and were moved to a much higher level and yes, the view was amazing, the apartment was better but again the air conditioning didn't work, nor the dishwasher. We didn't raise these issues with the staff as we felt really uncomfortable complaining about the second room as we felt there was lots of eye rolling the first time around. The pool area was a bit ridiculous with only two sun loungers, not really handy when there are 4 of you!
Yes the location was great but for the price we paid we expected a lot more. I would never stay at this hotel again and definitely wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rainraingoaway
MantraGM, General Manager at Mantra Zanzibar, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear rainraingoaway,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us at Mantra Zanzibar, and clearly from your review there were a number of areas where we failed to meet your expectations for your stay.

Unfortunately I'm currently unable to find a booking in our system matching your experience, and I'd certainly appreciate it if you could contact me via the resort or TripAdvisor with some further details so we can fully investigate the circumstances and make things right for you.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.