Over the weekend I stayed at Zanzibar in Mooloolaba with my family, for my dad's 60th birthday.
We had stayed there previously and had been happy with the service and rooms, even though the furniture and appliances were dated.
Our first and MAIN complaint is the staff’s customer service. The second is the lack of maintenance of the rooms.
Upon arrival we went to reception to make sure we had 2 car spaces, as we were staying in a 3 bedroom penthouse. The young girl on reception said, that as the majority of apartments were owned, they only could supply 1 car park. I thought that this was ridiculous, especially when paying for a 3 bedroom penthouse. Anyway we proceed to ask this young lady, that if we only had 1 car park, where she would recommend that we park. She recommended across the road in the main car park, but up the back, as the front was only 3 hour parking and the back area was unlimited.
We double checked with her and she assured us that it was fine to park there. So we got back into our cars and parked in the back area of the main car park. We then unpack a load of our bags and trekked across the car park back to the hotel. When we went up to our room our parents advised us that they were told that we did indeed have 2 car parks. We went down stairs and spoke to an older lady on reception who confirmed this. We then moved one of our cars to the car park under the hotel and left another car in the unlimited car park across the road.
The next day we went down to get an item out of the car across the road, and found a $50 parking fine! We thought that there must be a mistake as the young girl on reception assured us that we could park there. After speaking to my parents and telling them that we received a parking fine, I went downstairs to speak to a person on reception. When I approached the older lady on reception and told her that we had received a parking fine, after being assured by a member of her staff that it was unlimited, she looked at me as though I was stupid and shrugged her shoulders! Now this really got me angry. She went on to ask me what the signage said and I admitted that I was unsure, she said I should have read the signage, as it is only 3 hour parking across the road. I went on to say that we were aware that the front area was 3 hour parking but was told the area out the back was unlimited. She then interrupted me to look at a vintage car that was in the reception parking bay. I just stood there, completely stunned. How dare she, firstly not even apologise and say ‘that she will make sure her staff don't relay this information to their customers in the future’, but she had the nerve to rudely interrupt me and make me, the paying customer, feel like I was not worth listening to.
I found her customer service unacceptable, why get into hospitality if you are not interested in making sure your customers are 100% satisfied with your service.
Unfortunately I will be telling all my friends and family this encounter and will not be staying at the Zanzibar in the future.
I would like to make the hotel aware that their rooms are in need of a refurbishment or a little TLC. Doors in our penthouse apartment were difficult, some near impossible to open, some window latches were broken off so you could not open the window. Some of the walls had dodgy patch work, where it looked like a fist had gone through it. The air conditioning was all over the place, some rooms were freezing, while others were hot and the air conditioning vents were leaking water onto the kitchen table top. I know times are tough, but if a customer is paying quite a bit of money to stay at your hotel, you would think that at least the air conditioning vents wouldn’t be leaking onto your food preparation space.
The experience was not all terrible but the customer service has left a bad taste in my mouth and I will be advising people not to stay at the Zanzibar.
Being friendly isn’t a difficult task.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking Mooloolaba Bay, Mantra Zanzibar offers beachside accommodation choices including 2 and 3 bedroom apartments and penthouses. You will enjoy all the resort facilities and services you need with an outdoor heated pool and spa, fully equipped gym, complimentary undercover parking, in-room internet access, tour desk, child minding and laundry service. Mooloolaba is home to many of Queensland's best attractions including UnderWater World, the Eumundi Markets and just 20 minutes drive away is the famous Australia Zoo. Located on The Esplanade we are just minutes walk from trendy sidewalk cafes, bars, restaurants and boutique stores making for a truly memorable getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mantra Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Zanzibar Hotel Mooloolaba
- Zanzibar Hotel Mooloolaba
- Zanzibar Apartments
- Zanzibar Hotel Apartments
- Mantra Zanzibar Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast