“This place is so good you may never leave!”

Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Mooloolaba seems to be a spot that a lot of people miss en route up/down the coast but it is the best place on the east coast to spend some time.

I booked into this place with the intention of staying a week or so - I left 6 months later!

This was the best hostel I stayed in during my time in Australia. There are two blocks , which are amazingly well kept, the rooms are great, kitchens on each floor, fridges etc . The private doubles were really comfy. Downstairs has a great area to watch T.V, play pool etc or sit round the swimming pool. You can use the surf boards, kayaks etc as and when you want plus there is always some kind of activity happening.

Goon Pong nights and weekly sessions at the local hell hole known as 240V will become nights you will never forget

Above all though the staff made this place. They are a mixture of backpackers earning there keep and locals earning a wage. Mary will look after you like one of her own!

Ignore the bad reviews - this place is great, certainly better than most you will encounter. Its clean, well priced and close to so much. Go and enjoy the best town you will find!

Room Tip: Rooms with Ensuite get less noise than the others if you really need a good nights sleep!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luke P

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

If you really need to visit Mooloolaba and you're on a budget then this is where to stay, especially as I didn't find any other budget options in town.

Having read some bad reviews, I was a bit sceptical coming here but it really is an acceptable hostel. The staff I met were friendly and helpful and the highlight of my stay was the day at Australia Zoo which can be organised at reception. Sure, you can pick up the coach at Noosa for the zoo, but it's handier from Mooloolaba as it's the last pick-up/first drop-off, so less time required on the bus.

The free breakfast (cereal, toast etc) was a handy extra and I feel that the price is just about right.

However it is very basic and the rooms (as Lonely Planet describe), look "tired". Two big negatives to do with the room:

The bed I was in had almost no support in the middle so was really uncomfortable, though the place is quiet after 10pm so slept OK.

But worse, the shower curtain didn't reach to the floor, so consequently the floor got very wet and grungy even leading into the bedroom. How hard can it be to buy a shower curtain the right length?

So, would I stay here again? No - but not because of the hostel, only because Mooloolaba doesn't have much to offer other than a nice beach, which can be found anywhere. The night life is almost non-existent.

On the upside, the hostel is perfectly situated for the beach and public transport.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lee H
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have been staying there on and off for the last 9 months and it has always felt like my home away from home, over this time I have seen a lot of people come and go, staff members change and the place has never really changed, people are always friendly. The staff have always been helpful and friendly. They have plenty of free activities like paddle boarding lessons three times a day plus surfboards are free to use as is the pool table. The pool is great as well as it can get hot there.

To top it off it's positioned only 5 minutes walk from the main beach too which is great. I highly recommend the backpackers as a place to stay when you visit mooloolaba.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed from may-August 2013. Staff are really friendly, the hostel is clean and has a very good atmosphere. Also it's a great location near the beech and they let you hire out surf boards for free which is good of ur just learning and awful at surfing like me !! They also give you a free BBQ on a Saturday and every one loves free food!! Highly reccomended !!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

wow so many similar experiences on here, we thought it was just us!

we stayed here in january, and it was a terrible atmosphere.
the rooms are fine, the place is nice with a pool and lots to do,
but the staff were just plain rude and obnoxious, it was like staying in a jail.
there is a VERY clear divide between the people who stay longer and people just passing through, i understand that they must get all sorts of idiots that pass through and make a nuisance but even still, how hard is it to be friendly?

late one afternoon we were scolded very nastily by a male staff member to be quiet (this is just in the afternoon around 6, in the pool talking and laughing), then the very next night it was fine for the same staff member and his crew to be shrieking and carrying on up until 9pm - complete double standard and just plain victimising outsiders.

like another reviewer on here, we also had an issue with 'security guys' popping into our room un-announced - without even a knock prior. we think this is because while some of our group had left to go into the town, one of our other friends stayed behind, but the staff must have assumed she was out also and decided to poke around our room, which was quite scary for a lone female. when confronted, they said they had a noise complaint - but our floor was quiet, and the room would have been quiet and lights out when they came to investigate, so why not knock? when we asked at reception the next day about it, they were unaware of any noise complaints.

after 10pm the common room is closed, and if you're caught outside of your room for too long (im guessing this only applies to 'outsiders') the staff will watch on the security cameras, and will practically run up the stairs just to ask you what the hell you're doing and to get back in your room or leave, then go back to their staff common room and continue their private party. its great that they are so strict to ensure everyone gets a good night's sleep, but teamed with such a hostile demeanour was just....well weird. I think this place would do better with some management around, not leaving it entirely up to other backpackers to run the place.

we ended up making friends with a couple of other short stay travellers who were also feeling very excluded and basically kept to ourselves.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed in Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers from February until the end of July of 2013. It was one of the most interesting and enjoyable experiences of my life. Having originally moved to the Sunshine Coast to surf, I made a reservation to stay for one week. Upon arrival, I was asked if I would like to be informed of any potential work that may become available. Local businesses (farms especially) come to the local hostels seeking labour. Within a couple of weeks I had secured a job on a local strawberry farm. I kept this job right up until I left. It was tough work, but an invaluable life experience. The hostel keeps a healthy balance between work and socializing. There is a 10pm noise curfew to facilitate the farm workers who have to up very early the next day. However, events are run every couple of days/nights and these are started early to allow everyone a chance to join in. I have heard of people being intimidated by people who have been there for multiple weeks, and naturally people who have spent a long time there will know each other. However, my experience was very welcoming. You need only introduce yourself to a couple of people to experience the friendly backpacking atmosphere this hostel has to offer. I was handed a beer by a group of long-termers on my first evening! Working for accommodation in the hostel is also an option, and one which I found very enjoyable as all the staff share a floor. You can make some lifelong friends in this place. I did.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had a private room and bathroom and there were long hairs and a dirty shower curtain with unscrubbed walls (could see patches were they tried), no bathmat and when I asked for an extra towel I was told I already had one. Poor bedding for winter and no heating. No hand soap, bedside table or anything and very very noisy. Pool filthy. Staff were unfriendly and not interested in helping with tourist spots... apart from awesome dude who took me to airport both ways! I felt it was overpriced and disappointing overall. Mooloolaba good though.

Room Tip: If your 20 and want to party - do it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mooloolaba
Noosa Backpackers Resort
#136 of 141 in Noosa
Cottontree Backpackers
Cottontree Backpackers
#38 of 44 in Maroochydore

Been to Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!