“Great location when it is quiet”
Review of Via Italia

Via Italia
Ranked #45 of 189 Restaurants in Mooloolaba
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Enjoyed an early breakfast on a cool autumn morning. The area was quiet & peaceful with a magical view but have been in this dining area in busier times & it is nowhere near as pleasant. The service was great & very efficient & friendly. Coffee was pretty ordinary but the food was perfect - full of flavour, well presented & good portions. Pity this area gets so busy & noisy as the restaurant is great.

Manager V, Owner at Via Italia, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Your feedback is very valuable to us and your review is well noted.
Mooloolaba can be a quiet little town 1 minute and crazy busy the next. We always highly recommend booking, it really adds to our planning for the week.
Have a great day and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I first came here when on holidays in 2010 and found the breakfasts and coffee great!

I have continued to come here over the past 18 months and often stop at this restaurant when on my monthly trip to the Sunshine Coast. Plenty of space to check emails and watch the sun set on a pretty impressive view. It is my bit of luxury when I have to travel.

This restaurant is very good but there seems to be a couple of "let down points" each time that if they could iron out would make this a sensational place as the coffee is ALWAYS good and the location overlooking the beach hard to beat.

Last Thursday I had a very late lunch here and ordered one of the $15 special pizza's. Thin wood fired, and minimal ingredients in the traditional Italian way (not lacking, just not Domino's...which is a good thing).

The pizza was great - good quality ingredients, flavoursome, but really guys - $2.50 EXTRA for anchovies on a pizza? I know they were white anchovies but there would have been less than 20 grams. That calculates at $250 a kilogram for something that costs < $20 kg. Charging for anchovies on a pizza is like a Malaysian restaurant charging for chilli...

I left full but disappointed....

Returned the next morning for coffee as I believe this place does the best coffee in town (I have tried most of them). I ordered the "Un French toast" with ricotta and pistachio dust. It was a French toast "sandwich filled with the poached pear and limoncello" and was EXCEPTIONAL however it took 28 minutes from when it was ordered to come out. The lame excuse offered (when clearly the order had been forgotten) was that it "is thick and takes time to cook". Restaurant < 25% full. Great coffee...but I ended up rushing what was a sensational breakfast.

Note to owners: Business people on their own at breakfast are different than holiday makers looking to fill in the day. IF this dish take 30 minutes then the customer should be warned (like they do with a Soufflé". Also both of these points (excessive charge for anchovies and long time for breakfast) were communicated to the FOH staff though I doubt they were communicated to you

Manager V, Owner at Via Italia, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your continual patronage, as we are always looking out for areas of improvement your feed back is greatly appreciated.
I hope as a business person you can appreciate costs as you have shown by your calculation. Your estimation on cost is somewhat out, as we pay more than $60 a kilo on such a product and I'm sure you can appreciate, to give something away on a dish that is not represented on the menu will attract an additional cost, I hope you understand giving things away for free will eventually lead to losses and we would prefer to keep our restaurant and staff humming away.
In addition to your breakfast we do understand waiting a little for something can test even the most patient. We try not prioritize any customer over another, whether they need to catch a plane or in a rush to start the day. We can give an estimate on how long it should be, should you be short on time. It only takes 10 meals before yours and there may be a little added wait.......
We will always prepare and cook from scratch and never reheat with a microwave, that we will always stand by.
Again thank your time to review, and your points came under discussion. We do greatly appreciate your concerns.
Feel free to chat to me anytime your back in town

Reviewed May 30, 2013

They seem to be more interested in selling wine and alcohol than providing good quality food. Food was horribly over salted to give you a greater taste for their expensive drinks. There are better places to dine at Mooloolaba.

Hi Kyzyk,
We always welcome an opportunity to correct your meal, should there be a problem. It seems a shame you would rather leave a review than have your meals fixed. Seasoning can be easily fixed and our staff and chefs are more than willing for you to have an enjoyable dining experience.
Seems a little odd that you would review another pizza restaurant on the same day and share the same sort of reviews as the gentleman below you.............bizarrely coincidental.
Maybe I'm getting paranoid,
anyway always willing to evolve and improve, thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Not so much a dislike but terribly inconsistent. Breakfast chef is the most consistent and the coffee. Do breakfast

Hello Mr Austin,
Thank you for reviewing us 11 months after your visit, we always look forward to your 'celebrity chef' opinions.
Were the first to admit we don't get it right 100% of the time, but we always evolve, improve and search out quality for what we do. Our main team has been in place over 12 months now and are really hitting their stride. We will always strive for improvement but stay true to our beliefs in food.
I'm sure we share some beliefs but where we differ is:
We are passionate about our food, our industry and our restaurant.
As for for self promotion and defamatory opinions we will leave that to you.
Have a nice day

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had a special price pizza. Just $15 for a wood fired medium pizza with pesto e cherry tomatoes. It was simple with a great flavor. This was the best pizza I've eaten in Oz.
I'm Italian and I can swear that this pizza is a REAL Italian pizza with the right pasta base and cooked in the right way!

Manager V, Owner at Via Italia, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

My Pizza Chef is chuffed with that response, thank you kindly for that.
Were not really a 'Meat Lovers' 'Tandoori Chicken Pizza' or strange Californian nori roll fusion style pizza' sorta place.
Much respect for great Italian Food Traditions, simply we believe in 3 things.
Quality product
Respect the product
and always pay homage to the tradition in your food.

Oh and endless training, reviewing, practicing and loving
Kind regards