“Nice and clean put front desk needs to pick up their act!”

Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Our deluxe spa room was wonderful. The pool and bar area was lovely. Our first night we asked for some advice on venues providing a shuttle bus to dinner. We got a massive bum steer on the location of one of the places we were offered. The first morning we were told at the breakfast area that we were not entitled to free breakfast because we weren't on the list. After the girl went and enquired at reception she said sorry, you haven't paid? When I started to go over and sort it out another lady said look just eat and we will get it sorted which was great. After we ate I wanted to make sure it was sorted out and the young man said yes all is good. No sorry for earlier! The room information said we could hire bikes from reception. When we asked at reception...."no not anymore" the company is in Noosa if you want their number? We asked about whether there was a bus route from the hotel to the local shopping village. "Sure, not sure how often they run but just look for the bus stop on the road out the front" no bus stop in sight for the 40 minute walk to the shops! Don't try the gym either "it's not part of the hotel anymore"! The complimentary day spa treatment I was given with our room was not available on the website before we left as they were "closed for new ownership branding". Upon checkout the day spa was open at 9am and I could have made an appointment if I had been informed. Overall the rooms and resort were great, but to get people to return again, the front desk staff need a lesson in customer service. The area is remote and without a car so your options are very limited for food options and activities.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank 1971Karen
There are newer reviews for Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 18, 2013

When you stay at what is advertised as a ‘resort’ there is a certain level of expectation. You expect that your room is clean, you can park your car, and that you will receive a certain level of service. During our recent stay, Pelican Waters failed on all accounts. The room was unclean – we were greeted by an artificial nail left by a previous occupant in the centre of the floor of the living room of the ‘suite’ and there were long hairs left on the kitchen bench. We took one look at the outdoor setting and concluded we weren’t prepared to sit on it.
Due to its situation, you will most likely need to have a car and consequently a car park. On the Saturday night that we stayed there we had elected to go out for dinner. Upon return there were no car parks available – both undercover and outside of the complex. Identifying that there were numerous parks that were reserved, we asked for authorisation from the person at the front desk to be permitted to park in one of these car-parks, given that there were no alternatives. We were told that we could on this occasion. Unfortunately when we parked we were confronted with a woman who identified herself as the Operations Manager who informed us that we were not permitted to park there. We recounted that we were given authorisation to do so given that there were no other parks available. She asserted that even though you are paying guests who are staying at the hotel, you are not guaranteed to have a car park. I was amazed by this. When you are staying at a hotel you should be able to park your car. The proposition that you may need to find a side-street somewhere in suburbia and then walk to your accommodation is astounding. I am making mention of this as given the location of the ‘resort’ it is highly likely that people will be driving. It is a basic necessity for this form of accommodation and as a paying guest you should not be confronted nor have to justify this very basic requirement.
Of note, the only pleasant experience was our dealings with the gentleman at the front desk on check-in and Saturday night. He was enthusiastic, attentive and did provide customer service.
We were looking forward to having a nice weekend away at a resort. Unfortunately, Pelican Waters did not live up to our very basic of expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BeM990
Reviewed September 10, 2013

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The conference rooms were adequate and well equipped, and regularly cleaned and maintained by the staff. Food was good, and the restaurant clean. My room was fantastic and once again very clean. Beautiful gardens surround this resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Husband and I spent 3 nights at Pelican Waters and Golf Resort Spa to celebrate our 8 years anniversary. Unfortunately, we didn't expect it would be a very dull place. The place itself needs renovation as it has changed into a new management. Service was poor. Receptionists need more training handling guests especially the newly arrived guests who just travelled the whole day to get there. There were no smiles and "hellos" "welcome" but a finger pointing at us to wait. We waited for 10 minutes, patiently. We stayed there for 3 days and no one has greeted us "hello", "good morning" nor "hi". We only had contact with them when we checked in and checked out of the hotel. As a couple who are used to going to hotels, we find this very odd.

"Free breakfast" was atrocious as we were told we can not have the hot meal (e.g. eggs, bacon, sausage, hash brown). If we were to get from the hot buffet servings, we were told to pay a certain amount. Thus, our "free breakfast" were the cereals, bread and coffee.

The location is very remote. There are no shops nearby. The nearest is 30-40 minutes walk. If you love to walk 1.5 kilometres to buy a drink, this is your place. This resort is secluded and good only for people who travelled with their own car. Car park is also very scarce.

"Heated pool" was very cold!

On the contrary, we had a spa tub in our room which was the only positive mark after such a looong walk to and back the shops. Gym was accessible and free for guests.

Room Tip: We had the room facing the road and there were nothing extraordinary to see. I guess the rooms facin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MiGrace
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Me and my partner wanted to spend a romantic night here. The staff were great, the room was great, (the spa bath smelt wierd) and the buffet was so yummy. It was clean and well stocked. I liked that i was aloud to smoke on the balcony. The room was beautifully clean and If i could compare this to twin waters and Twin waters would fail miserably. The shops weren't far Woolies etc, hotel was next to them. It is away from the beach/caloundra but thats why we booked. To be honest the reviews on here are nothing like what i experienced. All up it was a fantastic weekend. If your looking at stay further inland this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shez19
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Got a Super deal through Wotif including breakfast, great value for money. Don't no what all the bad reviews are on here about this place because me & my partner thought it was perfect. Staff were very friendly, Spa suite was fantastic & the buffet breakfast was amazing. The pool, gym & tennis court's were world class.

The only bad thing was dinner at the Cienna Restaurant for dinner but I've rated that as poor in my restaurant review...

I Would highly recommend the Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa for a Perfect Over Night Stay

Room Tip: 320 had a nice view of river & golf course.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Pelican Waters was very, very disappointing for us. After a long day with 50 or so school aged rowers (most of whom were staying, with their families at this 'resort') all everyone really needed was a hot shower. Alas, when there is NO HOT WATER this was not possible. We waited and waited but for two hours not a sign of anything but freezing cold water coming from our showers. The response from management was ordinary, "we are at capacity this weekend and we have to wait until the system tops up again". My response is if you are at capacity and you run out of water then GET ANOTHER HOT WATER SYSTEM or at least tune your response so that guests don't feel the way I did... that I was being treated as an unreasonable idiot (maybe "very sorry Sir, this is not good enough")...just a suggestion!

I wasn't impressed that we had to wait for lengthy periods of time just to ask someone what was going on.. in fact the whole place has an air of anonoymity about it, in fact as much ambience as a dental surgery. Maybe dentists come here to get married and play golf?

Not happy that my seventeen year old daughter went down to the gym only to be told that because it was past 5.00pm (it was 5.30) the gym wasn't accessible to NON-MEMBERS (even though it was actually EMPTY!!!!). If you advertise a gym then make it accessible to paying guests, not just resort members or whatever title you have to hold to have a workout. I drove my daughter back into Caloundra to use a local gym!!!

Navigating our way around our room (with a fine view of the car park) involved walking sideways or cleverly bending to avoid each others limbs, real bed covers might have been nice, instead of cheap wafer thin blankets hidden under even cheaper doubled over sheets.

Finally and admittedly a very minor point, our bar fridge rattled like a Kenworth truck. I only figured out what was happening at about 2am in the morning and turned the damn thing off.

When we checked out no one asked us about our stay, no one offered to even speak to me, even though I waited for my family in the foyer for about twenty minutes... and no, last time I checked a mirror I do not look like a serial killer, just an average dad as far as I am aware.

I have never left a review like this...I'm not a mad ranter, just someone who wants to have a hot shower, good nights sleep and enough room to be able to get up and change a tv channel without stepping on the limbs of my equally disappointed family.

Leave this place to the pelicans.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank WinmartoLockett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast
#3 of 7 in Alexandra Headland
Oaks Oasis
Oaks Oasis
#2 of 16 in Caloundra

Been to Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!