“Loud and unexceptional”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Ordered and was served within 30minutes on New Year's Day morning , which is great. But 10% surcharge was a disappointment and food was average. No sausage on Big Breakfast, Benedict sauce was cold and obviously a pre- mix, but pancakes were a hit. Got to turn that music off and staff need to focus on output and service

1  Thank KazMaleny
Dashar74, Owner at Blackwater Trading Co, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Hi Sara,
Thanks for your review of our business.
I would however like to address a few of the points that you have made.

"ordered & served within 30 minutes on New Years Day morning, which is great"
Thank you for being patient, our kitchen staff did an amazing job on such a busy morning.

"10% surcharge was a disappointment"
We were the only "sit down café" that was opened on New Years day at Moffat Beach. I believe that the reason that the other cafes decided to close was due to the huge wages that we are required by law to pay on public holidays to our staff. We are required by law to pay holiday rates of double time and a half to employees working on a public holiday. Therefore for us to be able to provide you with a service on these days we have to enforce a surcharge of 10% to cover our wage costs. I don't think this should be viewed as a "disappointment" but more the reality of going out for a meal on a public holiday. If the government decides to change the laws regarding wage rates on a public holiday we will gladly do away with the surcharge.

'Food was average. No sausage on big breakfast, Benedict sauce was cold and obviously a pre-mix"
All of our meals are made from scratch, absolutely nothing comes from a pre-mix packet. I take great offence that you think that it does. We pride ourselves on providing good, fresh, hand crafted food & I am willing to stand by it any day of the week. I have eaten at many establishments in my local area & am very comfortable with what we are providing. As for there being no sausage on the big breakfast. It is a fair point that you make but it clearly states on the menu what is provided on the big breakfast, so if you don't like the look of it or think that it doesn't provide good value.....don't order it.

'Got to turn that music off and staff need to focus on output & service"
The music will stay, we want a place with atmosphere not a library. If you don't like it there are cafe's on either side of us that don't normally play music. As for my staff needing to focus on output & service, if you were there you would have seen how unbelievably busy we were. All of my staff did an amazing job. We did 262 covers for breakfast & 186 for lunch, we went through nearly 10kgs of coffee. All of my staff worked to their maximum capacity and to imply otherwise is extremely unfair.

The people in our area have been complaining that 'none of the cafes here are ever open'. We opened on New Years day to make money & to provide a service. We were the only place open, don't bite the hand that feeds you, because next year it may not be worth the effort on our part.

Kind Regards,
Matt Wilson.

There are newer reviews for Blackwater Trading Co

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My hubby and I had the great pleasure of visiting this Restaurant. We had the King prawns Linguine, (very fresh, absolutely yummy) and the Steak with Mushroom Sauce.The Steak was cooked perfectly, so tender and delicious and the sauce, omg just to die for. We would totally recommend this restaurant. Very helpful and friendly staff. Top class Service.You will see us again!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

After trying at least 15 restaurants in caloundra we decided to try one in moffat beach as we are usually there once a week for the kids
We were recommended by a lady at the newsagency as i was asking which of the three resturaunts they would recommend (note no one had eaten at any off them)
When arriving we noticed a man behind the counter drinking a beer black shirt black hair which after we asking about the specials of the night were interupted by a loud local yelling out !Matt you have made some money looks like new chairs`! We politely waited and then was seated.Matt jumped into a mitsubishi outlander with a glass off wine
We had to go to the counter for service and then found the staff did not know how to use the register as he worked morning shift so he politely called over the lady doing menu`s on the specials board, she could not help either and then explained had just come for lunch and had a few too many drinks and were helping the owners out.
We ordered 2 steaks (medium) no chips and sauce on the side and a vegetable stack with houlimi.
Just when meals arrived watched matt come back with glass of wine in hand
Much to our suprise when meals arrive that although the vegetable stack looked ok the steaks were served with chips and sauce was all over the steaks. When cutting into the first steak found to be cooked nearly tartare.
As ordered one steak for my kids 2,4 was not impressed found second steak to be cooked meduim rare with burnt bit on the ends. I cut off the cooked bits used the napkins to remove the sauce and fed them to the children and then ate about 1/3 of my steak before deciding that raw was not ok.
I ate the salad which was quite good.
The service attendent came and asked how it was going, i advised her strongly(first time she was there all night and i am sorry for my attitude) and i explained
Cooked wrong,no chips (served with chips) sauce to the side for my kids(sauce all over the steak.
I then went to the bathroom which my wife told me when i got back that they had taken the steak back and were cooking it better and offered $20 back.
As rule of thumb i have never eaten food that have been sent back as have worked in the industry and seen stories of what happens when food is sent back.
My wife then took my kids to the bathroom and i decided to finalise the bill.
Matt quickly stated that he was giving me my money back and having the steak recooked, i explained what was wrong,no chips,sauce to the side,medium rare steak and he stated !i have given your money back what else do you want, I explained someone that can cook a steak and listen to my order.
He told me never to come back and that the RSL was more suited to my needs.
For the first time eating in Moffatt Beach my choice the restaurants either side of Blackwater Trading or the RSL at least they might cook food properly, or not drink whilst on duty or take responsibilty for there restaurants actions.
NOTE
When i tried to take a photo of the poorly cooked steak Langauge came out
We have travelled orund Europe with our kids and are a regular on Tripadvisor this is one i would rather you miss .

33  Thank 2under2kids
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were looking to have Sunday lunch along this strip of eateries and chose Blackwater simply from the warm welcome we received as we passed by, as opposed to the other places who were quite indifferent. We were not disappointed - an adequate menu; food presented well and tasting great; good selection of beers on tap - as well as cheerful and attentive service. We will certainly return!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've had the privilege of enjoyed breakfast at this cafe since opening...it's by far the best cafe on the sunshine coast....I mean leaps and bounds better. Fresh ingrediants, brilliant chefs, warm and ALWAYS welcoming staff and an amazing coffee to top it off. This for me personally is a 10/10 it's consistently perfect and I'll never look any further. Brilliant!

1  Thank ConSniff