Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I was going to rate this place 4 stars. I booked this place indirectly through a mantra website and there was no option of booking in the outdoor spa for a two bedroom on the site. So I assumed that since they were limited, it was first come first served or only if you specifically requested it. So I booked a two bedroom apartment with a special request of the rooftop spa. We got to the place and the receptionist said we had to pay and extra 50/night to book the rooftop spa in. She admitted that they have seen it in my request but they never contacted me to advise that it isn't possible. Customer service was disappointing, a simple phone call would made a world of difference. As we arrived, the card keys weren't working so we had to go back to reception. Second trip back to the room we were already weary and running out of patience, but the room was actually nice. Very modern and clean. Could be dusted off a little bit more, but it was better than we expected (reading all the reviews). We had a good time at this place.

One last disappointing thing was they advertised the rooms as having cable tv. It. Is. Not. Cable. TV. Only local channels are available. It probably wouldn't bother a lot of people but I was hoping to support a friend while on holidays, who was gonna be on foxtel sports and I totally missed it.

So I think 3 stars is fair for this resort. Customer service could be improved, and false advertising is a no no.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BFFQ, General Manager at Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Hi Alenoelle, thank you for your feedback regading your recent stay in Caloundra.
I am sorry that we were not able to upgrade your stay to a roof top apartment and I would like to confirm that this room type can be booked online according to the availability.
In regards to cable TV, I would like to clarify that we do have 8 Foxtel channels including movie, sports and news channel. I would welcome to opportuinity to discuss about your stay any further so please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have stayed at this resort several times prior and have been happy, until now. Sadly during this stay we were unfortunately situated next door to a room who had an out of control party from 11pm - 5.45am. Yes I know drunk idiots are out of the resorts control, however, it is how poorly they handled the situation will result in my family NEVER returning to this resort. After-hours reception were rude and un-concerned with the matter.Security were slow in responding, and did not monitor the situation, hence the party escalated. The police were eventually called but the guest were not evicted (after numerous warnings) and once police and security left the party resumed.

My young toddlers were extremely distressed by the disturbance and required to be nursed and comforted for hours on end.

When I checked out I expressed my desire to talk to management regarding the handling of this matter and was promised the General Manager would contact me. Over 3 days later and no contact!

This resort is situated in an amazing location of Caloundra but I would not recommend young families stay here as they do not have a 'No Party Policy' and make no attempt to look after the guest doing the right thing when they are being punished by guests doing the wrong thing.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank CynDaz

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for your feeback, I hope you have received the formal resonse letter I sent you in regards to the inconvenience occurred during your stay and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was our first visit to the resort overall the unit was very clean and tidy and if you stay more than 8 days cleaners do come and freshen linen. The gardens and surrounds are kept very neat and tidy. Every morning I woke to look out to the pool was a pool maintenance crew or groundsman cleaning the pool and tending to spa facilities.

Location Location Location Sunday markets at Bullcock Street, The Boardwalk bakery so convenient very well priced breakfast and free internet, access for beach and fishing just walk a 2 min stroll across the road. And a relaxing walk to Kings Beach ( surf beach and kids playground) Coffee Cat recommended for breakfast. And is a stones throw from shopping centre.

I would stay here again and recommend to friends and family.
(Entrance to reception is via 100 Bullcock Street not the Esplanade).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jules P

Hi Jules, thank you very much for your postive feebcak regarding your recent stay at BreakFree Grand Pacific. We look forward to welcoming you back to Caloundra next time.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here twice in the last 5 weeks. Both times booked a 3 bedroom unit with waterfront views. Absolutely superb both times, couldn't fault a thing. Tapas bar a few minutes walk from front door - outstanding food & music.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

That's the way Izzy! we are happy to had a great time in Caloundra and we look forward to welcoming you back at BreakFree Grand Pacific in the near future.

Thank you very much for your positive comments

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Last minute over night stay which was expensive as only 3 bdrm available. Receptionist, Siobhan, was very helpful and professional. The 3rd floor unit was very tidy and comfortable. One bedroom fan would not turn off when we closed the door to the area we were utilizing. We had an awesome view of the passage but from the kitchen window, guests using the spa from their apartment did not have privacy. The central location to walks, beaches and shops was great. Ideal for families. Close to lovely eateries/restaurants as well. We were given a late check out so we headed to the markets and took a stroll along the walkway to Shelley Beach. I would stay here again but book in advance to avoid extra expense you pay at short notice. Hopefully bond will be returned when they have said.

Room Tip: Rooms with water views are a must!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi DondeaB, thank you very much for your postive feedback regarding your recent stay at BreakFree Grand Pacific. Siobahn was very happy to see your comments Thank you!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Caloundra next time

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I booked a rooftop 1 bedroom spa apartment but it was not as I had expected. The room was in the Broadwalk apartments section at the front of the resort and was on the 3rd and 4th floors of the complex. The check in process was fast and friendly. The location was great and very central. The resort is in the main street and close to many atm's, eateries etc. This would be a good hotel for families and fit seniors but not so good for couples. The lack of privacy on the roof top spa area was a mayor problem for me and I did not use this area during my stay.. The rooms all have different owners and some do have shade sails installed on the rooftop for privacy from the units above. I was in unit no 65. I am not sure if this apartment has been refurbed or the owners just have very bad taste. The décor was like George Jetson meets Bonanza. I think it was a matter of "we don't want this here at home so lets put it in our holiday unit". I pity the housekeeping staff ( please clean out all that junk in the kitchen cupboards). The painting of the walls is way overdue for attention. I would have had problems if I had been in a wheelchair. The entry doors to the complex were difficult to open and the circular stairway to the rooftop was hard to negotiate. This unit was large and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The kitchen was a good size but it would have been hard to prepare a full meal because of the lack of cooking gear. Every time a toilet flushed in a room it was like a truck coming through the complex. I did have problems sleeping because of this and the constantly running exhaust fan in the bathroom did not help. The outdoor features of this resort were 5 star and a credit to the workers there who maintain them. Internet connection was available at an additional charge (broadband and wifi) but I take my own wifi prepaid when staying at hotels because a lot just don't work and are expensive. I'm not sure what the floor had been cleaned with but it was like walking on fly paper. I kept walking out of my sandals. I would not have a problem returning here for a day or two but a long term stay would be a different matter. I think the problems with this resort reflect more on the owners than Breakfree management. Well done Breakfree.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbed room and privacy on the rooftop.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Hi Joeyjoeo, Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BreakFree Grand Pacific. I do appreciate your comments so please do not hesitate to contact me direclty if you wish to discuss about your stay any further or if you consider staying again in Caloundra any soon. Thank you

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The resort is lovely, prime position and great facilities however on arrival I paid my $200 bond and was informed it would be returned 5 to 7 days after departure. I thought this was odd since I.paid cash.
On departure I was then informed that my bond was to be deposited into my account as they do not give the cash bond back any other way. I was informed that this would be in my account by close of business. This was not. Different to the original comment on arrival.
I had to follow this refund up for 11 days after departure and was then told it would be in the account within 72hrs. This was not acceptable to me so I told the receptionist I would be driving up to collect the cash the following day. I was informed that this was a good idea as it would be quicker....so unprofessional. ..

They were quick to take the money but not so quick to return it.
Unacceptable as far as I am concerned...which has sadly left me with not wanting to return to any Grand Pacific accomodation again.

Maybe the reception staff need more customer service training.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Kylz10
BreakFreeGrandPacfic, Front Office Supervisor at Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Kylz10

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to discuss your comments on the phone. I am glad hear you have received your security bond.

I would like to apologise again for the misunderstanding and look forward to welcoming you back to BreakFree Grand Pacific when you plan your next holiday.

Kind Regards

Siobhan
Front Office Supervisor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Ramada Resort Golden Beach
#2 of 7 in Alexandra Headland
Rumba Beach Resort
Rumba Beach Resort
#1 of 16 in Caloundra

Been to Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast? Share your experiences!