“Enjoyable Mexican”

La Casita Mexicana
Ranked #102 of 209 Restaurants in Caloundra
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: see other reviews at http://www.menufeast.com.au/reviews/16311/la-casita-mexicana/caloundra/
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We decided to go for something different on our most recent trip to Caloundra and try Mexican.

Knowing that Mexican food isnt the easiest to 'impress' with, we decided to give La Casita a go.

Looks were certainly deceiving with this little restaurant in the main street. We were the only patrons, on a rainy night with building works going on in the front and having to leg it around the back street to access the entrance, however we were delightfully greeted by warm and friendly staff with efficient service to boot.

The food was delicious, and homemade, with decent portion sizing. We left satisfied and would definitely return.

1  Thank Nikkileee

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Restaurant boasts that they have the best Mexican food on the Sunshine Coast. We dined on a Friday night for my husband's birthday. Place was packed when we arrived at 7.00pm and then empty by 8.00pm. Waitress said everyone leaves early to watch the football so if you're planning to go here, book early. The service was good. Staff were friendly and attentive, and when one of our entrees was forgotten, this was quickly rectified with effusive apologies. We ordered 5 entrees and 1 main sized meal to come out all at once. Chicken enchiladas tasted a bit strange and the frijole dip was very sweet, almost like baked beans which was mildly offputting. The main of sizzling chicken with accompaniments was enjoyable. Thought the meals were a bit overpriced. Cost $120 for 4 people with a beer, a sangria and a softdrink.

Thank Karen and Sheri... T
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I agree the margarita's were good but if you want one after 8.30pm forget it, the food was poor especially for the price.. And the customer service appauling !!! Extreamly poorly run reasturant.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We went to this place with high expectations.
The margaritas were good and that was it.
The salsa, nachos, tortillas and guacamole tasted straight off a supermarket shelf. The tortillas had that preserved smell that comes from a store bought pack.
None of the dishes tasted any different from eating in a food court (probably even worse). Montezumas is much much better.
Drinks for 2, juice for our little one, entrees and 1 main ........... $94. That is definitely not value for money.
Service and ambience were ok.
Won't be going back even for a free meal.

1  Thank foodies80
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I spend three months every two years at our son's home in Massachusetts, USA. While there we are frequent diners at Mexican restaurants, and marvel at their quality and value for money.

In Australia we have lived a stone's throw from La Casita Mexicana, formerly Megs Mexican Restaurant in the main street of Caloundra. We have promised ourselves for eight years that we must try and compare the local Mexican offering with that of the United States where we've eaten Mexican food from Rhode Island's El Azteca to sumptuous Mexican food extravaganzas in Dallas, Texas. Yummy food, not to mention the Dos Equi and Margaritas to swill it downl

So full of high expectations, four of us attended La Casita Mexicana last Friday night, ( 25th October 2012.)

Our overall review of the evening came in as a split decision. Two would love to try La Casita Mexicana again. One said her foray into Mexican food was 'once is enough'! While the writer, a food gourmand of some note, was not impressed with his dish, but probably will go back as his better half raved about the chicken fajitas, claiming them to be equal with their US counterparts.

For a Friday night, the restaurant was fairly well booked. The staff offered a great service. We discovered before we attended, that the restaurant is a BYO wine only, so the ladies drank their chilled bottles of wine they'd carried from home. The writer had to taste to see if Dos Equi (XX) beer travels well, and did enjoy his two stubbies of what he believes is the only true Mexican beer to drink with Mexican food, strongly influenced in that decision by his son in America.

One lady tried the Nachos as her main course and voted them as 'very good'. Another lady had the Prawn Yacutan. Amazingly, this alleged Mexican dish came out smothered in French fries. Now there's something you won't see in a Mexican restaurant innAmerica. She also was the lady who claimed that one adventure into Mexican food is one too many! Pity about that as she is a solid Friday food club devotee.

As already stated, my wife enjoyed the chicken Fajitas so much she definitely wants to return. A very genuine reproduction of the Fajitas we enjoyed over in the US, was her summary.

I had the Chimmychunga , my favourite choice on many occasions in the States. Again, I've never had Chimmychunga smothered with French fries, but I can accept that would give the dish an Oz-Mex flavour, just as Texans claim their offering is a Tex-Mex creation of the south of their border national dishes. While the chimmychunga fried roll had most of the known ingredients inside, I could not corelate Friday night's dish with the Chimmychunga I've known of old.

To uphold my wife's high opinion of this restaurant, I will go back with her, but next time, no Chimmychunga but rather, I'll join my wife in a Fajita. I may try the beef Fajita just for a change.

Now to the overall cost of the evening. By Australian standards, the cost was on par with regular specific nationality foods, but compared with US prices, most dishes were three to four times as much as the local Rumford, Rhode Island's El Azteca, where our drink bill, while quite reasobable, was always more than the food bill. But we won't knock La Casita Mexicana as it certainly was in the 'value for money' class.

Well done, staff of La Casita Mexicana,. To have a 75% repeat business from our table, consider yourselves at the top end of the places we would recommend to locals and travellers to visit while in Caloundra.

Gastronomically Yours,