“top meals and excellent service”

Amici Restaurant Pizzeria
Ranked #1 of 212 Restaurants in Caloundra
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In life, we all need friends to love, laugh and eat with. Amici is the Italian translation of friends. So whether you’re after the full dine in experience with the amazing service, delicious food and relaxed atmosphere or feel like staying in with our take away or home delivery, Amici wants to be a part of all your memories, like friends should be. The simplest things in life are the best and that’s why we keep our food that way. Made fresh from the freshest local ingredients available, each and every dish is made with love and passion to give you a dish that’s full of flavour and worth remembering. The heart of Amici lies in the young hands of owners Sarah and Jason. Both work together as the perfect combination, Sarah leads her friendly team out the front to provide you with a full table service experience while Jason and his team in the kitchen work on making the simple yet delicious modern Italian food to complete your experience.Facing onto Knox Avenue on the side of the luxury apartments, Aspect Caloundra, Amici is a casual neighborhood gathering spot where you’re immediately embraced by the restaurant’s warm, contemporary ambiance and friendly vibe. The Aroma from the kitchen promises fresh, modern Italian cuisine. We offer an extensive dinner menu along with a thoughtful wine list and drinks selection. Amici will cater to all your dining needs.So next time your around stop in and say hi and try our delicious Pizza, Pasta or one of our mouth-watering mains for yourself. Or, if you live or are staying in Caloundra, Kings Beach, Dicky Beach, Moffat Beach, Shelly Beach, Golden Beach, Aroona, Battery Hill, Caloundra West, Currimundi, Little Mountain, Meridan Plains or Pelican Waters we’ll happily deliver your meal right to your door.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

dined at Amici on Saturday 02 Nov. Booked online with a remark that we needed to be at Events centre by 8.00pm. received a text to say booking confirmed and will be in plenty of time to attend events centre. the service and meal was excellent and nothing was too much trouble. will definitely dine here again.

AmiciCafeCaloundra, Manager at Amici Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback! It's wonderful to have customers recognize we work hard and train our staff to please and it's good for me to hear they are doing a great job. We also know that it's great customers such as yourselves that make our job enjoyable. Thank you for looking after us with kind words and great feedback.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I went to a birthday dinner on Saturday night along with 11 other friends. One of us was a regular customer and had raved about the restaurant. We were extremely disappointed with the service and hygiene.

Our first issue was when we were ordering our meals. They had run out of spaghetti (it's an Italian restaurant!!!), calamari and also an alcohol that was in the cocktails we ordered, yet they served them to us anyway and just said 'we ran out but have given you Bacardi instead'. We understand, as you all stated several times, that you were apparently busy, but I have been to a million busier restaurants before, who all managed to stock all of their menu items on a Saturday night.

Secondly, myself and another girl had ordered pumpkin & pine but pizzas. When we got our meals we realised there was no feta on our pizza. When I complained the waitress just said "no, you ordered a pumpkin and pine nut pizza" and I had to tell her that there was feta on the menu description. She then had to check the menu and bring us a bowl of cold feta to sprinkle on our pizzas ourselves!! My friend got a discount on her pizza, yet I didn't? Even though I was the one who complained.

Thirdly, TWO people found hair in their meals. One stuck to the chicken ala funghi (short, black and quite similar to the chefs hair yet we were continuously being argued with that it was a hair from the mushroom brusher). The second hair my boyfriend pulled out of his mouth during his parmigiana (feel free to check the footage on your CCTV as you seem to do thoroughly, probably because you cannot seem to be able to take any constructive criticism). In the end, the ala funghi was complimentary due to the "synthetic hair" but my boyfriend, however, who had actual human hair in his meal, was not even given so much as an apology. Last time I checked, when eating at a "quality" restaurant, you do not expect to have any hair (or anything else not edible) on your plate.

In fairness, we were offered a complimentary coffee, which we declined, because all we were looking for was a genuine apology or some kind of acknowledgement.

We found Sarah, the manager, to be very rude and sarcastic and therefore none of us will ever be returning to your restaurant and we will be sure to spread the word.

5  Thank JLouwebb
AmiciCafeCaloundra, Owner at Amici Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2014

The original response to this review has been removed. Someone didn't like what we had to say and asked for it to be taken down. Interesting that this customer is allowed to have her oh so glowing review remain but we aren't allowed to have our side of the story told. This review is in the fact exaggerated and incomplete. This customer has since come to us privately and apologized for the way she mistreated the staff member who served the table that night, personally apologized to us the owners for the review that was left, and also said she was going to "try" and get it removed.
In our original response, we were able to tell our side of the story and it has been taken down because we decided to stand up for what’s right in the hospitality and small business industry. We also stood up for our staff member who she and her friend mistreated on the night of their visit.
In our previous response we were able to address the fact that mistakes were made on the night of their dining experience (believe me it’s not quite as dramatic as she has put it) and we were able to approach and explain them. In all reality we have now been left voiceless because we had names of staff and customers involved (although the customer has named and shamed without any reproach) and I’m guessing that due to this technicality, this is why our first response was removed.
I won’t repost what was already posted as I would rather have this be read instead. From time to time unintentional mistakes are made, we’re human. At Amici try exceptionally hard to always make a wrong right if given the opportunity. Unfortunately, in this situation no matter what we did the customer threw it back in our face. Multiple attempts were made on the night to make their evening a pleasant one. Apologies were made, attempts to fix the situation, all thrown back at us with this interesting review to top it all off.
I won’t keep going as I stated earlier that this particular customer has since come to us privately to apologize. We’ll let sleeping dogs lie. Always remember that there are two sides to a story, in this situation both were negative and damaging to individuals and our business involved, we just got left with the scar. Her review remains while our voice has been silenced. If you would like to see the original response you can request it via email. I have it on file. And I’m happy to share both sides of the truth to those who seek it!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had been recommended to go to the new Italian restaurant, so we headed for Amici Cafe. In fact we tried 3 times but they were so busy and booked out, we booked one week ahead and were looking forward to a good Italian meal.

It was a Friday night and were seated inside next to the window. Well, between the loud rumble of the pizza oven exhaust fan (which sounded like there was a suped-up V8 in the car park underneath) and the other diners chatter (including someone's hyena laughter) bouncing off the tiles and walls, it didn't make for a pleasant ambience. It felt like being in the local supermarket cafeteria. We couldn't even hear the waitress when she asked us a question.

Noise doesn't usually bother me, but my ears were aching so much from the loud noise that I couldn't wait to get out of the place and they were still ringing 15mins after. Rock concerts don't even do that to my ears!

Other than the noise, the food was good, although it was restaurant prices for café surroundings. Disappointing night.

1  Thank Brissy2
AmiciCafeCaloundra, Owner at Amici Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience because of the noise. I hope the food and service were at least enjoyable as that is what we are striving to promote as a restaurant.

We have and are still trying to find ways to lower the reverberations through the restaurant due to the oven. We can't turn it off as we have to have it running to cook the food. When the restaurant was built along with the rest of the building I don't think noise was taken into consideration but more the shape to be aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately, it is the round shape and fact that most of it is glass that creates the reverberations and carry's the sound throughout. It does look nice, but the noise has been an issue since it was built. We are working on it and apologize you didn't have a nice time due to the noise. In regards to the customers hyena laugh, unfortunately I can't really do anything about as I'm not going to ask a customer to stop laughing but I will apologize that it contributed to the already irritating noise.

If you decide you would like to come back and dine with us again, please mention you would prefer an outside table, and if it is available we will do our best to accommodate. Thanks for your feedback, we always appreciate positive criticism. We work hard to please and will continue to work on improving our atmosphere at Amici.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I choose to come to Amici Cafe for my son's birthday with my family and some very close friends.
The reason was "No 1 restaurant in Caloundra on Trip Advisor". I sometimes do that, not a very smart move on the 24th of October.
Great atmosphere, very helpful staff, but the food wasn't what I was expecting at all. The bruschetta offered to us was freshly made mixture of vegetables (mainly tomatoes) nothing wrong with it, but simply not what bruschetta is. The lamb meat balls were divine, like somebody in here mentioned it to me. My steak was a scotch filet, something you never go wrong with I would have think.
Medium rare was actually awfully rare, the cut was full of fat and I think my steak was cooked in a dirty pan, that's where the steak took the color from... The hot chips I asked for instead of the mashed potatoes were soaked in sauce (not very clever) and they were very very very little (I think six, if lucky). The fish and chips for the children had a piece of frozen buttered fish cooked in oil (6 pack for $4 AUD at Wollies), a bit disappointing for such high ranked restaurant. I have to say the toilets are somehow away from the restaurant and they have a big sigh that let's you know kindly they are shared with some other three places. The light on the corridor was turned off (every saving is important), they turned them on later in the night.
They wanted to charge us 25 bucks only "the cake fee", but we ordered and paid 50 AUD at a special sweets place already, Decadence, before we made the booking... so we ended up having the cake home. Not a smart move again from the management. If it would be up to me I wouldn't let it go with more than two, maybe three starts, but every other guest, my children, my wife and my friends had a fantastic time. I was the unlucky one, or I might be the weird one. They all got their mains right, didn't complaint about anything and they simply loved it.
I wouldn't go back, but my wife will drag me in next holidays. My kids loved it, my friends too, so I was happy to drop few coins in the charity box and the tip jar (cute thing, I have to say it).

AmiciCafeCaloundra, Manager at Amici Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

I’m glad to hear that the majority of you enjoyed your food and experience and thank you for your response. I’m sorry to hear that you were not as happy with your steak. I guess we can’t please everyone, but I would like to point out we sure try if we know someone is not happy. We would have been more than obliging to cook your steak longer if you felt it was too rare. Steaks are a funny thing because everyone’s perception of “what I ordered” is so different even if the professionally trained chef has cooked it to the persons request. We have gone back over our records and CCTV footage to check the serving sizes on your table to make sure you had more than 6 chips and see if anyone returned to check your meals. Funny thing, but a thumbs up when asked if everything was ok looks to me as if you were happy with your meals, and I can assure you there were definitely more than 6 chips on your plate. ;) from the footage it looks as though you thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I’m sorry to have read otherwise.

In regards to the sauce on the chips, we generally serve our steak with mashed potato and fresh steamed vegetables, and once stacked, we drizzle our delicious piccante sauce over the top. I hope the piccante sauce was not mistaken for the “dirty pan” you implied we cooked the steak in. I can assure you the pan was clean and put your mind at rest with the simple fact that we’re still open because we run a clean, top notch restaurant. Your chips would have had sauce on them because you asked them to be substituted for the mash which goes on the same plate as the steak. Perhaps next time ask for the sauce to be put to the side or the chips in a separate bowl so that you can enjoy them sauce free. In terms of serving size for the chips, we actually go by weight not by count with our serves so that they are the same and consistent for each person who orders, and your serving size was the normal generous serve we give to every customer. I’ll be more than happy to upgrade the serve to a double if you’d like next time you’re in. And Woolies fish…. Really? We don’t actually get our fish from there, but just remember in the $10 kids meal, you get the fish, the curly fries, the sauce, a drink and a scoop of ice cream with topping and sprinkles if they want. I think $10 is pretty good for a restaurant that cooks it all for you, cleans up after you and has the staff bring it to your table. And I’m not sure how you would cook fish’n’chips other than in a fryer but perhaps you bake them at home? Most restaurants, including ours, use a fryer unless otherwise specified.

The lights in the shared toilet situation is a funny one altogether! We have no control as to whether the lights are on or not, YOU actually need to turn them on yourself when you walk down the toilet hallway. It’s just a button you push on the left when you enter the hallway, they will turn on and automatically turn off after 5-10min. since most people don’t remember to turn them off. This is not something we installed but was rather installed by the body corporate of the building. I guess it is a money saver for them.

I think you misread, or misheard the cake fee. We charge $2 per person, but the fee is capped at $15. It’s printed on the menu as a $2 per person fee, and we cap the fee at $15 for the simple fact that if a group of more than 8 come in with their own cake, the cake fee doesn’t become ridiculous. We have plenty of desserts to choose from, and honestly we would rather you try our desserts than bring outside food or drink into a fully catering restaurant. However we try to be accommodating still by allowing BYO cake for those special occasions where you’ve spent extra on a nice cake somewhere else. Next time just bring it in as we offer to bring it out with sparklers and a song, we will cut it for you, plate it, serve it on our plates with cutlery and napkins to boot, then even clean up after you all for $2 a person! I think that’s pretty good considering.
Either way, thanks for your feedback.

Next time you get dragged in, be sure to let us know straight away if you’re not satisfied so we have the opportunity to fix the situation or do something to make your dining experience better.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Last night we attended a 60th birthday at Amici Café,Caloundra with another 40 odd friends/relatives of the birthday girl...The restaurant had been booked beforehandWhen we arrived,,the tables were already set up ,with water already poured & menus on the table...The waitresses were very efficient,unflappable,polite & competent as they moved down the table taking orders.The food came out as quickly as possible (naturally some dishes took longer than others)...it was delicious...A special mention of the "veggie stack' (ours was without gorgonzola) ...excellent...the pizzas,the pastas etc were all of high quality....a perfect location for what was a great occasion