“Sunshine Holiday”

Sandy Shores Sunshine Coast
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed at Sandy Shores unit 6 for 3 nights in January with 2 grandchildren. The unit very spacious and clean although needs a refurbishment as most furniture and utensils quite old, towels a little thin. Good location opposite clean beach. 15 minute walk to main center or the small shopping complex in other direction. Great balcony with views and very quiet at night even though on the main road. All staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I don't usually go to the effort of writing bad reviews but felt that this one was warranted due to the extremely disappointing service. Had three nights booked in Jan, supposedly on the top (fourth) floor. When we turned up (with baby and food shopping in the car) they tried to put us in a ground floor unit without even telling us they had switched our rooms or offering a slight discount. Once we realized what was happening we asked to see the room and it wasn't what we were hoping for (a nice view means a lot to us!) so we requested a refund with the intent of going elsewhere. The women at the front desk were happy to do this but then a male manager came in and was extremely rude. He began abusing and swearing at my husband telling him that he was "sick of people with attitude" and to "get the [--] off my property"! We have never experienced anything like this and it was totally unwarranted as my husband never even raised his voice. We then had to cart our bub and slowly defrosting food items and search for another place to stay..ended up at Aspect and cannot recommend it highly enough, stunning views, beautiful units, excellent managers/staff, and all for only a tiny bit more than what Sandy Shores were trying to charge us. Do yourself a favor and avoid Sandy Shores if possible, there is much better value, quality and service elsewhere in Caloundra!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Agathisrobusta
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We spent xmas week at Sandy Shores. First impressions are that it is clean and reasonably attractive from the outside although it is a fair walk from here to the surf beach which may not bother elderly guests. My only real problem with Sandy Shores is that there is a smoking area which happened to be situated right outside one of our bedrooms (we were on the ground floor) and so whenever anyone lit up the disgusting smoke filled my son's bedroom and he had to shut the window which as you would appreciate is stifling in the middle of summer and a definite health hazard.

Room Tip: Don't go for the ground floor apartment as the road noise is quite loud.
Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TimothyM47
Reviewed November 21, 2012

stayed for seven nights. Unit was on third floor overlooking the passage and ocean. Had a wonderful stay. Nice complex and conveniently located, within walking distance to Caloundra shopping and Golden Beach shops. Not far to drive to Pelican Waters Shopping centre.

Room Tip: Front rooms have large balconies and ocean views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank wendy t
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have been holidaying in Caloundra for the past 10 years and have been very happy with our normal accommodation but wanted to look around for something different - BIG MISTAKE! We booked accommodation via the hotels direct website for 3 nights however we later received an email to say that the prices we had booked at were incorrect and that the total amount should have been $100 more than the amount quoted on their website.

I rang the office number to discuss this and wanted to speak with the managers as the lady I had spoken with was named Jody, however she said that they are rarely in and non-contactable but would have them ring me back. No phone call - just a second email the following day 'cancelling' my stay. I rang and spoke with Jody who said that there was no point speaking with managers as there was nothing they could do. I persisted saying that I wanted my booking still and wanted to discuss the rates as I don't see how they can change them after a booking is made. Jody informed me that they utilise 'The Booking Button' for their online bookings and they are not obliged to honour any bookings made by the website if they are full.... I queried whether they were full though, as they were still able to accept a booking from me as long as I was prepared to pay more??? Jody at first said she didn't know about the rates on their website, but then later stated someone else had rang up a week or so earlier with a query about the rates... so I suspect that they did know what was being advertised. I explained to Jody that I felt like I had been lured into making a booking with their company at a rate they never intended to honour. Her response was that it couldn't be honoured unless the difference was met directly from her pocket. I tried to contact the manager's on their mobile stated on the website but to no avail.... In short DONT TRUST THIS PLACE!!! There are plenty of other options in Caloundra that would offer MUCH better service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Melissa H
Management response:Responded November 28, 2012

The customer was attempting to take advantage of a virus that was affecting our computer and book accommodation for $10 per night. Be Serious!!!!! She would not listen to reason and became verbally abusive to staff. Best to forget this review and look at the many positive responses from other satisfied guests. Sandy Shores remains a popular holiday destination with many return satisfied guests. ps the virus was fixed the same day as the problem occurred and there has not been a problem since.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Super friendly staff that offer excellent service.Spotless rooms, excellent parking.Close to town.

And best of all right on the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its easy to find as well.

There is always something big going past on the nearby shipping lanes.

Its close to everything without the Hustle and Bustle of Surfers

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John E
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed in a top floor 3 bedroom unit for two nights. Absolutely nothing to fault. The unit was very well maintained, spotlessly clean, and was provided with everything we needed for a family weekend.
We will be back and would recommend Sandy Shores to anyone looking for value for money on the Sunshine Coast,

Room Tip: Front facing units have a fabulous outlook.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family