“Excellent Location, Comfortable Apartment” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Rumba Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Emerald, Australia
“Excellent Location, Comfortable Apartment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at Rumba in a 3 bedroom beachfront apartment - the views are beyond amazing! Bedding is very comfortable and the apartment has everything you need. We were disappointed in the lack of pay TV options and the rooms are very noisy and sounds echo from other areas of the complex. There was also a huge party on the Friday night which went until 3am...not really acceptable when there are signs clearly stating Rumba has a No Party Policy. Reception staff were very friendly and welcoming. We are staying again in November for a week and hope that it may be a little quieter.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
William D, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your honest response, the feedback is always welcome. We do everything we can to ensure ALL guests enjoy their stay. Every now and then we get people who act irresponsibly, and it is just as disappointing for us. Thanks for your understanding, see you in November.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Not 5 star, we had a three bedroom apartment that had full ocean views, however we where also straight above the industrial extraction fan for the food area down stairs which started at six and turned off at nine or later, we just shut the door and turned the air con on but it would then turn itself off, then we killed six very very big cockroaches on our three night stay and we went out for dinner every night so it was horrible to think how many could of been in the apartment, single beds are to short and that was the consensus of the four ladies that slept in the single beds, lights where hard to work out but we did it, they need to be brighter, room on a whole was not what we had all hoped for, also even though you don't run the bar area down stairs we think you should tell them there service is not great a smile goes a long way and staying open later would be nice, they are making you look bad. Drinks not allowed pool side was a downer as well. Your pools where your best feature and one of your few positives that you can take credit for, the location is fantastic as I've always loved caloundra as have the other ladies I stayed with this however is not apart of your resort. On our departure we had let staff at front desk know we would all need to leave before they had arrived to open up and that we needed a trolley, they assured us one would be waiting as they where all left out, when I went to get one however they where all gone which was fine so I waited in the hope one would come back soon, imaging my surprise when the man cleaning the glass around the pool saw me asked if I needed anything, I told him of the problem and he just shook his head unlocked and opened the front office side door and there was all the trollies that where meant to be left out for guests. If you where 4 stars and cost less to stay at then yes I would say you met the standard but for five stars and a higher price range then your competitors we where all disappointed, six people can't all get it wrong.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank bigbigbigbi
This review has really taken us by surprise. Never before has someone reported cockroaches being a problem. We have a very strict pest control program in place. I would very much like to speak to you further to understand the issues. Your review mentioned you stayed in January? Please don't hesitate to contact me on 07 5492 0555 to discuss.
Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Only disappointment with Rumba was we had to eventually go home. We loved the spacious clean and well appointed apartment . So close to everything the city centre has to offer. Right from the first contact staff could not have been more helpful. We would most definitely recommend this to all of our friends. Loved all the technology in the room, great sound system, lights clever. Even has a coffee machine cool!
We will be back and stay for longer thanks for a fantastic break.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
That's what we like to hear! Thank you for a glowing review, it is very much appreciated.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom spa suites, which are roomy and well appointed. Beds are comfortable with a choice of pillows. There are good onsite facilities and a huge television (but no free cable movies).
But the technology was not user-friendly, especially the lights! You have to press the switch just right for them to go on, just right for them to brighten, and just right to turn them off again. Whatever you do, don't press any of the "all off" buttons unless you want the whole flat to be plunged into darkness. We couldn't make the oven work, as the diagrams in the manual didn't match the display on the unit. It was like being trapped in a Jacques Tati movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9t98Gox60).
Cleanliness was good except for the cutlery, which was a bit grubby and had to be rewashed.

Room Tip: The 2 bed spa suites are not advertised as having views, but 301 is positioned behind one of the las...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your honest review. Sorry that you found the lights a bit confusing to use. To your comment about the limited pay TV channels, we have taken that on board and are now looking to add another 2, taking the total to 8. We also have the full suite of digital channels too. There is no excuse to the cutlery not being spotless. Sorry, that will never happen again. Hope to see you back.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a relaxing 2 night stay here during May. We were impressed with the room (featuring a very funky spa, and superb kitchen facilities!) and I'm sure this would be a lovely place to stay in summer thanks to the beautiful pools.

We had a room on the fifth floor of the 'back' block, so our view was partially obstructed by the Rumba building in front of us (half- water views, half- aircon unit views...) but we weren't bothered as we'd stayed here on a discounted low-season rate. But if you're paying full-freight, you might want to consider requesting a room in the front building, if the view is important to you.

Service was cheerful and friendly, but not overly professional - eg. at checking in, we had to wait for the girl to place her coffee order before attending to us. Not a huge bother to us, but may not be quite the experience you are expecting (again, epsecially if you are paying their high-season rates...).

However all in all a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: If view is important to you, request to be in the front building (otherwise you run a good chance of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
William D, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. Definitely a good honest account of your stay by the sound of it. Thanks also for your comments concerning your check-in experience. This is certainly something I'll look into, we aim to be totally professional at all times and hopefully this is reflected in the vast majority of our reviews. We look forward to seeing you again one day. Bill.
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I've been a loyal patron to rumba beach resort since it opened, and over the years, for the most part every one of my stays has been close to perfect. My recent stay in the week before Easter has made me question staying at this resort in the future. The rooms are becoming outdated, and not looked after or maintained to a standard I would expect to see at a 5 star resort, but that's not the biggest issue. The management appear to have changed, and with this there isn't a happy vibe around the resort anymore. I found all but one reception lady rude and unhelpful, no eye contact was made, I was being phoned prior to arrival to ask where I was and I felt that this was completely inappropriate as I had already paid and it was still 2 hours prior to the reception closing. As a returning customer I am aware of the process and I also know that there is an after hours service for key collection. Prior to check in day I had advised of an approximate check in time and the phone call really put me in a unhappy and stressed out mood before I even got out of the car.

During my stay the rooms weren't serviced correctly. My beds were made but that's where it ends. For a five star resort, I would expect more then beds to be made... Maybe a change in toilet roll and sinks to be wiped wouldn't hurt. I had been given 1 half roll of toilet paper on arrival in the bathroom and one spare roll for a 3 night/ 4 day stay. Obviously I ran out, and to my shock when I asked for more I was asked to pay for toilet paper.

The outdoor spa had maintenance issues and wouldn't work correctly, even when the issue was reported it wasn't fixed. Still, on our last day there It wasn't working.

The gift baskets you can get in the room are a nice touch, though this would be the only positive I can think of from my last visit. My understanding is this was an initiative introduced by the previous (kiwi) managers (who were extremely helpful and lovely and even spent 2 hours talking with us in the spa one night after work on one of our previous stays).

I'm not one to complain, though I am really really disappointed with my last stay here. I regarded this resort so highly until this year, but after the experience I had I don't know if I will be staying here again. I actually forfeited a week I had booked and paid for at rolling surf to stay at rumba as I thought I would enjoy myself more at a resort I knew and trusted. Caloundra has lost what used to be a fantastic place to stay.... Please bring back the old rumba, because the new rumba is less than average. On par with 3 star resorts.... If you want luxury, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank in0rbit
William D, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear me, where did we go wrong? I'm so disappointed to hear about your stay. There hasn't been a management change here, only a couple of minor staff changes over the past year. Nothing more. The overwhelming feedback from guests is so positive so this really has come as a shock to us. If you have time, I would be grateful if you would contact me by phone to discuss, even if it's just for us to discuss a refund. I haven't been able to verify problems such as the Jacuzzi not working and being charged for toilet paper. These things never happen, and they mustn't. I hope to hear from you. Regards, Bill.
Bowral, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I have read most of the previous reviews and in the main can identify with most as a guest and a prospective investor. In terms of the views while not directly overlooking the beach I was on the 5th floor at the back and still could reasonably see the sea. I can sympathise with comments on the cleaning standards as if the bed hadn't have been made (somewhat) I doubt that I would have noticed. In terms of the towels guests should be offered the choice of having towels replaced rather than assumptions being made that towels will just be rehung regardless of preference. While we live in a more mindful water consumption society perhaps a sign explaining choices to guests would be more helpful. Replacement of items such as shampoo etc. should be a standard in any place boasting a 5 star rating However I have learnt to travel with my own supply so didn't actually use any provided. I can't comment too much on the noise as I stayed in the off season although the few children that were here certainly made enough noise that I had to close the patio door. Noise between the buildings does tend to echo. Also perhaps being further at the back dampened some of the council / street noises. All in all I slept reasonably well although I'm not sure where the beds were purchased but they certainly are not the best in the comfort stakes and the lounge is too small for rooms with more than 2 guests unless you stay in one of the 3 bedroom units. Every effort has been made to make this a modern and attractive place to stay and for the most part it is. I would happily recommend Tides Restaurant at the end of the block despite it's price. I can imagine that people's comments are influenced by the time of year but give Rumba a go and decide for yourself if it is worth the visit.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jinny57
Thank you for an honest and open response. We genuinely consider each of the comments made by past guests to see how we can provide a more reliable and higher level of service quality. Your comments have been constructive and helpful, so thank you. Regarding our daily servicing, it's always a trade off to provide the best level of service for the room rate. We are always focused on delivering a good price and maybe we need to work a little harder.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caloundra
Breakfree Grand Pacific Resort Sunshine Coast
#3 of 15 in Mooloolaba
Oaks Oasis
Oaks Oasis
#2 of 16 in Caloundra

Been to Rumba Beach Resort? Share your experiences!