“Surprisingly excellent food and fabulous location”

Tea Gardens Boatshed
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Tea Gardens
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe by Day,, Restaurant by Night..Superb Location & Cuisine
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have just spent a few days at Hawks Nest and ate twice at the Boatshed, once for lunch and then again for dinner. Both meals were faultless and the service both at lunch and dinner was extremely professional. We had the seafood platter for lunch which was great value and a lovely variety of seafood. For dinner my husband and I both had 2 entrees, simply because the choice on the entree list appealed to us more than the main course choices. The seafood platter for dinner was extremely expensive although I am sure it is a much more elaborate affair than the lunchtime platter. Our water glasses were filled constantly as were our wine glasses. The wine list is extensive with a good choice of both reds and whites.
The location on the riverfront is fabulous at lunchtime, especially when the weather is perfect, as it was for us!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Enjoyed a special occasion meal at the Boatshed and had a lovely table on the water. Our food was good as was the service. The restaurant is not big and several larger groups came in as we were finishing our meal and it began to feel crowded and loud. Be advised the Boatshed is probably the priciest restaurant in the area - in my opinion there are a few other choices with same quality of food with a slightly lower price. That said, we enjoyed our experience at the Boatshed.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This restaurant was excellent - the service was very good even though the restaurant was extremely busy on the night we visited, we felt like we were the only two people in the restaurant.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Drove an hour to get there in flooding rain, and worth the effort.
Our 27th wedding anniversary lunch was a treat with the food served being some of the best we have tasted for some time, The Barramundi was perfect.
Poor old Pete the Pelican floating on the river trying to make eye contact and be thrown a few morsals of food was sadly disappointed, I wasnt giving up any of my lunch!! The staff relented and served him some offcuts and he paddled away happy. If you want some great food eating in a great spot try The Boatshed.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have spent several getaways at Tea Gardens, always staying at the Boathouse Resort which is simply excellent and which I have reviewed separately.

Usually we dine modestly at the excellent local pub bistro, but this time decided to do a blowout dinner on our last night. Other local restaurants failed to excite, so we decided that the Boatshed was it.

All up, we chose well. Ambience was good. The evening rain was kept at bay, trickling down the plastic awning in an appealing reminder that we were comfortably inside looking out over the Myall River. A fascinating houseboat wrought of corrugated iron, backgrounded by mangroves, summoned memories of Duelling Banjoes and primitive societies intruded upon.

Our entrees were superb. I had the tempura prawns with fennel salad, he had the salt and pepper squid with pickled ginger and cucumber and spicy plum sauce.

Mains were also excellent: my dish of lamb backstrap with jus, crushed minty peas and a roast potato was delightful and too generous for me to finish. My partner's special of the day, a surf and turf variation, was entirely to his taste. We both reflected that we had ordered too much, our very satisfying entrees having taken more than the edge off our appetites.

The only dischordant note was the price of my partner's special main dish, though it was not a deal breaker on our enjoyment of the night.

Well done, Boatshed Restaurant, and go crazy everyone with greater capacity than us!