“Excellent Dives with Great Guides”

Fish Rock Dive Centre
Los Angeles, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent Dives with Great Guides”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing time diving with Fish Rock Dive Centre. We completed two dives during the trip: one to shark alley, where were within just a few meters from quite a few circling nurse sharks, and the second through the cave itself, where we parted curtain fish at the entrance, visited a giant bill ray, and surfaced at an air bubble inside the cave for a chat. Both dives were thrilling. The guides were excellent, informative, and hospitable, and the rental equipment was in very good shape. Overall, I'm glad to have found this hidden gem on my road trip from Brisbane to Sydney, and I can highly recommend this dive shop to others who are passing through. They even sent me pictures of the dive itself, which was very much appreciated as I was not traveling with an underwater camera.

1 Thank Snypdragon

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The best dive you'll have in years!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Went out for my first dive in a year and a half with fish rock dive centre this week and was blown away as usual!

So many grey nurse sharks, wobigong's and even a bronze whaler - amongst so many other fish, coral & lobsters! The cave never fails to impress me either! This dive is still my favourite ive done yet - better than the Great barrier reef even!

As a local in town and dive every now and then at the rock - I have tried both dive centres but from now on Im going to stick with these guys - Such friendly and knowledgable chaps that really have taken the time to learn every ounce of history about the area to share with you. It helps that that can make you piss your pants with laughter imbertween dives too! haha

Thanks to John, Jake & Dylan for an amazing dive once again!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Anton L
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“So good we went back for more!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was the best dive I have ever done thanks to Fish Rock Dive Centre! The guys, Jake, John and Matt, are extremely knowledgeable in and out of the water. They're quick to get the gear on and off the boat but what's more important is they are completely safety conscious.

Jake started with the detailed brief of what to expect and in we went! Straight away we saw so many sharks we couldn't count! We were underwater for a good 50 minutes. It was unreal! Also, Jake is amazing when it comes to safety stops. It's not just hanging off the rope being bored - instead he takes you over to the rocks to check out some of the other waterlife lingering around!

Then, it was back on the boat for tea, coffee, crackers, soups and cake! After about an hour, and another detailed explanation of the cave, we were in the water again. More sharks, crayfish, Wobbegongs, rays, turtles, sea spiders: lots of cool stuff like a 4mm nudie branch. (The guy's got eyes like a hawk!) I was a bit weary about being in a confined space, but Jake put my mind at ease and I was absolutely enjoying the dive! It opened up to this gorgeous blue light that bathed part of the exit where there was an abundance of sealife!

The cave dive we were under water for a good hour and it was well worth every minute of it!

I HIGHLY recommend these guys - they're small so you get personal attention and they're totally down to earth not to mention totally SAFE. They love their job, you can tell! Also, as an added unexpected bonus, they gave us a CD full of photos and videos that were taken on our dive!

So, after all that awesome diving we decided that we'd head back later in the week to South West Rocks for another dive! Now, I'm looking forward to doing some advanced dive courses with them in the future!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank taraustralis
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great tight knit operation with a lot of care and fun.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Thanks Jon, Larry and Matt for a great couple of days diving at this amazing dive site. We had a great time listening to Larry and Matt's commentary on the area on the boat trip out. Aside from Fish Rock being a must see dive site, the team were great and we particularly enjoyed the soups and other goodies between dives and the very thoughtful dousing of divers with hot water in between dives - a great idea to warm us up!

The crew were knowledgable and showed us all the difficult to find attractions under water.

Jon the skipper is great at reading the water and doesn't push rough conditions - safety first. The team were also accommodating with our post dive as hoc whale watching!

A complimentary DVD of photos taken on the dive was a bonus.

Thanks guys

Aaron & Alysha

Visited October 2013
1 Thank AaronAlysha
Kyneton, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome dive experience”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

In my limited experience there are three parts to every dive trip; the diving itself, the diving support, and the holiday around the diving. Put Fish Rock way up the top of your dive list in Australia, its the closest point to the continental shelf and as such is a magnet for pelagic fish like shark and rays who feed in the ocean by night and rest around the rock during the day.... there were at least twenty grey nurse sharks hanging in the 22 degree water on the Queens birthday weekend with vis between 5-15 metres. The sharks are out in the gutters cruising about and you get right in there with them. Then there's the rock cave which is a cool little dive, pretty intense enclosed experience with heaps of interesting features. I had four dives on the site over two days and that was about right. you'll probably want more than two dives.
then theres the support, Jon's boat is great for up to maybe 10 divers, but was working well with 5 or 6. Jake and Matt were great dive masters and know the site back to front, really helpfyul with the dive gear and tank changeovers..... loved the hot water they brought along to tip down the suits :) heaps of background info about the area and the site and really friendly and engaging throughout. The shop couldnt be better positioned attached to the Costa Rica motel which works perfectly for early morning diving start time of 7.30am. The cost was very reasonable, and whilst there i did two PADI specialty courses - this was a big deal for me and Jon was straight on it..... great spot for doing the Deep Dive Specialty as there are a few sites in the 35 metre range with quite a few sharks down deep.
South West rocks is beautiful but pretty quiet as a holiday space, especially in the winter time, lots of beautiful spaces but its tucked away from the rest of the world and you'll want a car. Best thing about diving this part of the world at this time was the Whales ... there were quite a few around, but we were fortunate enough on the way home to find a couple in proximity and spent an extra half hour watching them breach.
All in all 5 star experience and looking forward to getting back one day. You will to...those sharks are awesome and there's probably nowhere better for them.

Visited June 2013