“Great food and great value”
Review of Isabella's

Isabella's
Ranked #28 of 554 Restaurants in Randwick
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went here for lunch. Cheapest meals I have seen in a long time. Typical cafe atmosphere with just a few too many tables squashed into a small space. We both had pasta. Food was amazing, looked and tasted great and very filling. Will definitely be back. Service was friendly and professional.

They do breakfast, lunch and tea until 10pm. Breakfast was still available at 1pm when we arrived.

There are newer reviews for Isabella's

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This place never fails to dissappoint , at least they are consistent. I swore I would never come back to Isabella's after a bad experience a couple of years ago . On this inauspicious occasion they thought it would be o.k. to serve up the Piscatore pizza not on a thin round pizza base but using thick spongy commercial Turkish Bread as the base instead , saying nothing and hoping ,I guess ,that we wouldn't notice.
Yeah right, good try . When we pointed out to the waiter that the base was Turkish bread and therefore it perhaps didn't really qualify as a "pizza" I was told that " we have run out of pizza base and anyway no one else has complained". Interesting response from someone allegedly employed in an "Italian and Seafood Restaurant" .Adding more interest was the fact that this was just after 7p.m. and I guess for the rest of the night all pizza orders would thereafter be subjected to Isabella's Italian Pizza ala El Turko treatment by the certainly inventive but very deluded cook.
So we sent this abomination back and hurriedly left leaving scary experiments to be inflicted on other guinea pigs who hopefully responded in the same way.
"Once bitten twice shy" was ringing in my ears as I again stepped into Isabella's doorway two years later for another crack , this time to sample their approach to the Big Breakfast. " Give them a second chance" winning out in my decision making process.
Alarm bells starting ringing quickly and loudly after I sat down . A fast look around and i couldn't help noticing the dirty table , not filthy but a ring of water and copious sprinklings of sugar crystals adorning about 10% of the table area. How hard can it be to ensure tables are wiped down before each sitting? I was promptly given a menu by a perfunctory waiter and knowing what I wanted ordered the Big Breakfast @ $12.50 and ordered a flat white coffee at the same time ( the water ring and sugar crystals remained on the table)
A couple of minutes later I was asked again , by another equally disinterested waiter if I would like to order a drink. Now this may not seem much , but it indicates to me that there is no co-ordination amongst the staff and I find this quite annoying. There were only 4 or 5 others in the restaurant at the time so maybe the wait staff were bored ? but anyway I informed them that I had done the coffee ordering thing and I awaited the arrival of the coffee and the BB.
The coffee arrived, @ $3.50 , short on coffee , large on water , served on a chipped saucer.
No sugar sachet served on the saucer so i looked around and seeing no sugar on the table got up pinched one from another table. Again not earth shattering but annoying. Hello Isabells's staff ! How many coffees do you serve per day? Pssst let you in on a big secret .... some people have sugar in their coffee. This is not a fad. Anyway Big Breakfast arrived . The usual stuff ,2 x fried eggs , 3 rashers of bacon, half a tomato with some hideous cheesy goo on top, mushrooms , greasy sausage, 1 x hash brown on one slice of multi grain bread. Whilst the individual components looked satisfactory they were all over the plate and no matter how many times I spun the square plate I couldn't get the configuration right. Plate presentation score : 0
Asked for tomato sauce and it was served in a stainless steel bowl with a teaspoon . What is that all about? Must be the same guy who insists the sugar , after you ask for it ,is served in a drink bottle ( I kid you not).
Anyway back to the BB itself. I like multigrain bread but it's not for everyone. It shoudn't in my view be the default toast in a big breakfast. This should be either plain boring white or preferably wholemeal and you know what ? Serving two slices , not one, won't break the bank.Just saying.
Now for the Hash Brown . This was , and there is no other word for it , simply revolting.
Somehow it had taken on the taste of fish and after one bite I quickly reached for the coffee to kill this most unpleasant taste as quickly as possible. To me it tasted like it had been cooked on a surface that had been cooking fish the night before and had the taste and smell from that had infused into the hash brown . Now taking into account isabella's propensity to free wheel and innovate ( as in the Pizza ala El Turko experiment from 2 years before) I briefly wondered to myself if this could be deliberate? You know , a new dish , "discovered and first made at Isabell'as Randwick in 2013 - Barramundi Flavoured Hash Brown's)
Tip : to Isabella's , it won't fly.
Anyway I was quickly tiring of this and wanted out. Finishing my last bite I looked for a napkin, no great surprise, none on the table . As I looked around the now almost empty restaurant I did a quick audit of the napkin dispensers. Half of the tables had them , the other half didn't. Another isabella's concept? Maybe.
That's it for me. There definitely wont be a third visit to this poor excuse for a restaurant. No style, no finesse , near enough is good enough and mediocrity at it's best.
Avoid.

6  Thank hijinx474
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We dined here for both breakfast and dinner. I haven't seen value for money like this for years. The breakfast menu was imaginitive and extensive. Servings were large, and service was spot on.
For dinner, I had a lobster fettucine. This had large chunks of lobster, and was very tasty. $13! The local police were queued up outside, waiting for their take-a-ways. They know a good thing when they see it! There were a number of families, and there is something here for every fussy child! I was at a conference at the local hospital, and this place was perfect.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The coffee here has improve in quality and is now the best in Randwick and the beans with breakfast are better than ever. Lovely location opposite the park and terrific service from the young staff. Randwick is indeed lucky to have this gem of a restaurant.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

the quality of their seafood is the best I have had. I usually have the Gamberi Pawns. They have the largest prawns and are always consistent. They now have an all day specials menu where you have a choice of more than 60 meals from $10.50, Seafood is $13.50 which is the best value.
The place is very busy all day.
Highly recommend for best quality and best value.