“A little niche in the big city away from home...... cosy”

High Cross Park Lodge
Ranked #6 of 10 Randwick B&B and Inns
Bonville Coffs harbour 2450
“A little niche in the big city away from home...... cosy”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Well worth looking into.........depending on your need........easy if you are in need to be close to a relative in POW hospital!

Your own small quite cute little room..........clean .........good beds.........no luxury, but all you need..........

Room Tip: ask for downstairs at the back...........very noisy traffic up front.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amaroosh
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at High Cross Park Lodge, and for booking direct with us through our Sydney Lodges website.

It sounds like you found Perouse Lodge very convenient being so close to the Prince of Wales Hospital and Sydney Children's Hospital. I'm glad you found the rooms comfortable. Sorry about the noise, I hope it didn't disturb you too much!

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We love hearing from guests, your comments help us to continually improve ourselves as well as future guests to make good travel decisions.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed one night for work-related trip. The place was clean and tidy with friendly staff at the counter. Towels, blankets and soap are provided along with pay-for-access to Foxtel and wireless internet if desired.

As I was driving with a hire car, parking around the area had a lot to be desired but given the circumstances of Sydney's population density around that area, it is certainly understandable. Watch out for the parking signs and their variable time limits. It did take about 10 minutes of circling before I found a place to park; albeit it was a Friday night and there is a great intersection of restaurants just 2 minutes' walk on Perouse Rd / St Pauls St.

Situated right next to Avoca St, noise levels could certainly be a potential issue, however as I was situated in the centre of the building, I did not experience this until the morning when nearby construction work unfortunately commenced (on a Saturday!?)

Room Tip: Room 212 is in the centre; parking's a little hit and miss if you are getting around in a hire c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

You're right about the parking and trust me, it's even more fun for us locals! I hope it wasn't too much of a trouble for you. They say that a good parking spot in Sydney can move you to tears.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Brisbane
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Very close to the University of New South Wales. It was only a 5 minute walk to the conference I was attending at UNSW. The price per night was better than a hotel and the quality of the room was just as good as a more expensive hotel room. However, being a student, I had hoped to find cheaper accommodation. It was really great to have tea and coffee making facilities and a mini fridge, in case I bought any food that needed to be kept cool. Nevertheless, great experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at High Cross Park Lodge.

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Providing] clean and comfortable rooms at a low rate is what we do best at Sydney Lodges.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We hope you took a 'Guests with Benefits' card so when you book with through our own website next time, you can receive some great benefits and discounted rates.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
Sydney
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This Hotel failed to provide the right key for our room when we arrived after hours. A business couple, we had made it very clear days before when booking, that we would both arrive and leave after hours.

We arrived in Sydney from China dead tired and hoped our room was ready. Instead, we arrived to find the wrong key provided. The key gave access to an occupied room. The occupant was understandably unhappy about us inadvertently opening his door.

We (not the Hotel) had to take the initiative to rectify the situation at about 10pm. An answering machine responded to our after hours calls. On trying a second number we were answered by a woman whos english was challenged. Eventually we were called back and the person whos voice was on the answering machine responded. A night manager was sent. The evidently embarrassed night manager apologised and gave us access to a room.
This was some time after we arrived. We were travel weary had been standing in the corridor waiting with out luggage.

The room with the correct key was clean but basic. It had a shower which flooded to the bathroom floor. The drain in the bathroom floor was placed such that it did not drain and the floor remained wet.

A hot water heater was placed outside the room but substantial noise resonated with the room space. It gave the impression that we were in a plant room. Not good for peaceful sleep.

Access to rooms is via labynthine hallways having steps.

We came away with the feeling that the hotel was badly operated. The price paid for the room we eventually got was way overpriced given the inconvenience, delay, and wanting facilities.

Evidently quality control is not the hotels strong point.

Suggest to readers that they find another place to stay.

We wonder if the hotel apologised as we did, to the unfortunate occupant of the room we initially went to..

Don`t go there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Jeffrey M
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at High Cross Park Lodge. Thank you also for taking the time to leave your feedback.

We're very sorry you had such a negative experience and did not enjoy your stay with us. The wrong key was left out for you and this was a complete mistake made by one of our team. We have no excuses for this, it was simply a terrible mistake that unfortunately resulted in two of our valued guests being inconvenienced, disturbed and also embarrassed. I can't apologise enough for this terrible mistake.

As you had arrived after hours at 10pm, this only made the situation worse as there was only a night manager on and no reception desk for you to report to. However, as you found, we do leave the number for the night manager at the reception in case of urgent situations like this.

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with the room. I have noted these down and handed them onto our maintenance manager to have these issues addressed. Thank you for letting us know.

I'm sorry to hear you feel our hotel is badly operated because of this unfortunate event. It was very much a simple mistake that had very negative consequences, for which we couldn't be more apologetic.

We most certainly did apologise to the guest who's room you were given a key to, and they were a very lovely couple who accepted our apology and ended up having a bit of a laugh about it with us the next morning, as they had past experience running small hotels and know how things like this can go wrong when you're not paying attention to what you're doing.

We hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves and return to a Sydney Lodges property in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Randwick hotels

Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2012

An excellent experience in a comfortable clean and professionally run low cost establishment. The location is very central and access to the city etc is excellent. A veritable feast of local eating establishment is a highlight of the position. My experience was everything that I expected given this was the first time I had stayed out of the city centre. I would recommend this as a cheaper alternative for people traveling either on business or for pleasure.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street which can be a bit noisy at night. (Proximity to the Royal Ho...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges, Kevin.

We love it when we get it right! We're so happy to hear you found High Cross Park Lodge to be everything we try to be; clean, comfortable and affordable accommodation in a convenient location.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to see you again in the near future. I hope you took a Guests with Benefits card on your way out, so that when you return you can enjoy discounted rates, late check-out and free WiFi at any of the Sydney Lodges properties. These are just some things we like to do for returning guests.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I've stayed here before, along with all the Randwick Lodges. It is really well located for visits to UNSW.

Basically the place is fine. It's clean. The bed was comfortable. The rooms are small, but fine for a work trip. It wasn't particularly cheap this time. And as far as I remember, it was better last time I stayed.

Issues included the toilet seat falling off as soon as I sat on it, and the TV not picking up ABC, SBS. It turned out, in the morning, that the same channels were tuned in several times, so if one kept going through the channels there would have been a version of SBS with good reception. And a minor point, the clock in the room was nearly an hour slow - luckily I wasn't relying on it. And it would be nice if they provided shampoo.

The staff member was sympathetic when I raised these issues.

So I would probably stay here again, but only if other options were full or too expensive...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges.

We're happy to hear you find the location of our lodges in Randwick convenient to UNSW. We always have discounted rates on at Sydney Lodges, however some nights are discounted more than others depending on how many rooms we have available for sale rates.

I'm sorry about the issues you had with the television, I have passed these comments on to the maintenance manager to have this looked at.

Thank you for letting us know about your concerns regarding the shampoo. I will talk to the manager of this property as this is not the first mention we have had about the lack of shampoo.

We look forward to seeing you at one of the Sydney Lodges properties again soon.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2012

As many other reviewers have pointed out for this accommodation - you get what you pay for.

I snapped up a "hot deal" early for 3 nights stay, expecting this lodge ti be of similar quality to the other Sydney Lodges I have stayed at.

The ground floor room was very small and pokey. Getting a drink out the bar fridge while still in bed is a prime example of the size. The bathroom was new, but again extremly small. I would hate to be larger than average size.

The cleanliness of the room, lodge foyers, entrance and outdoor area was poor. The bathroom was reasonable despite long hairs on basins and the shower walls which I assume were from cleaning cloths.

It was a particular effort getting to the room, with all sorts of 'random' items stored in the corridors (chairs, cleaning supplies, bedding, brooms etc) and quite difficult carrying luggage!

The bedroom window would not lock, and in fact would not stay closed. If it not for the previous effort of a worker or guest shoving a piece of folded paper in the window, it would have been a very chilly and uneasy night's sleep!

Overall I would not recommend this accommodation unless you are willing to overlook most comforts for the sake of saving a few bucks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and feedback. It's very important to us that we hear from previous guests in order to continually improve ourselves.

The Double Rooms at High Cross Park Lodge are certainly not our largest rooms in Randwick, however we have priced them accordingly. Of course, there are always other options at other Sydney Lodges properties such as the Double Rooms at Perouse Lodge around the corner which are substantially larger and also have a king size bed. I'm sorry if these were not available when you booked, they are very popular and book out very quickly.

We take cleanliness and hygiene extremely seriously. I'm very concerned about your comments regarding the overall cleanliness of the property. I have passed your comments on to the hotel manager to have this looked at. I apologise for the housekeeping trollies and cleaning supplies that were in the hallway when you checked out, the housekeeper must have been working close to your room and left them in an awkward spot.

There is clearly a maintenance issue with the window in your room. I apologise for this, however thank your or letting us know. I have passed this information on to the maintenance manager.

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at High Cross Park Lodge. We offer many styles of accommodation in Randwick between the Sydney Lodges properties. I hope you will return to us again in the future and give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Thank you again for leaving your feedback.