“Did NOT meet my expectations! Old, unkept, neglected...”
Review of Randwick Lodge

Randwick Lodge
Ranked #5 of 11 Randwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 7, 2011

- I had specifically requested an early check-in for 7am, but was disappointed to find reception was closed and would not open till 9am later that day.

- When we were finally given access to our room, we were delighted to find the room was able to sleep 5 guests, and was quite spacious. However, the bathroom was very very small; there was barely enough room to bend over the vanity sink to brush one's teeth.

- Overall maintenance of the property was terrible, considering the age of the heritage building. Pieces of glass were missing from windows near the staircase, the curtains in our room were ripped, our fireplace (which was obviously for decoration and not for use) had a broken dustpan sitting inside. Felt a bit like an unkept horror house

- Our room was overlooking the Randwick junction. The old building does nothing to block out the outside sound, and throughout the whole night, we battled for sleep amongst the outside noises of traffic and pedestrian signals.

- $10 a night allowed me to park my car next to old cupboards and mattresses in what appeared to be more of a storage shed than a decent undercover carpark.

- During our 3 night/4 day stay, our room was NOT SERVICED once. As you can imagine, we were quick to deplete our limited supply of toilet paper and sugar sachets. Not to mention, the embarassment of having the toilet blocked on the last night of our stay! (and as there was no one at reception, our "business" had to wait till we were able to use a public toilet the next day)

- VERY MISLEADING PAYMENT DETAILS. I booked the room online, and as prompted, paid a deposit of $150 to secure my booking (well at least I thought I had). As a struggling university student, I own a debit Mastercard (not a credit card), and as such, I only ever carry a maximum of $300 on my keycard at any one time. When I was ready to complete the payment prior to check-out, I was surprised to hear the $150 deposit had not actually been taken from my account. I was not only alarmed, but also deeply offended that management (Michael or Matthew, cant remember his name) did not have the courtesy to apologise for providing misleading information on the hotel's website. He also made it clear that he would NOT attempt to correct the booking system on the website, and I was left to believe it was simply "out of his control".
Terrible terrible management, in my opinion! And a terrible end to our stay in Randwick

- Apart from the location of this hotel (walking distance to the hospital and UNSW), I would not recommend this place to anyone, and will definitely not be staying here again! I am just glad that the group of friends who stayed with me, had the decency to remain calm and cool without any complaints, despite the shambles we experienced during our stay.

VERY DISAPPOINTED

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook the road
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TimTam54

Reviewed July 4, 2011

This is basic but comfrotable accomadation, and a convenient location with shops, restaurants, take away food outlets and transport close by. Easy travelling distance from the city and airport. The staff are always helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Convenient to UNSW, hospitals, pubic transport and great food. Staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We were very happy to find Randwick Lodge because of its proximity to the hospital. There are many places to eat a short walk away and bus services to get around the city. The accommodation was basic but clean and reasonably comfortable though the bed was a bit dippy in the middle. The receptionist was helpful and friendly. We were able to get parking under the building for 10 dollars a night which was great. Wifi did not work in the room we had at the bottom of the building but worked in the courtyard. There was no room service so we had no clean towels etc for our 2nd day.

Room Tip: Poor internet access on lower floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hla_11
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Needed lodgings close to Prince of Wales Health Campus. Randwick Lodge filled the bill admirably. Basement room was clean although needed some paint touch ups, bed comfortable and water hot. Airconditioning effective. Reception only manned part time and late arrivals have to negotiate a series of codes to gain access to the Lodge and then obtain key to the room and entry to the carpark if available - but the system works well. Could also suit travellers seeking affordable accommodation in Sydney and also not far from Sydney airport. Only slight problem was that hand controls for TV and airconditioner had a sticky substance spilt on them and no instructions available to manage bedside clock. Otherwise perfectly satisfactory lodgings.

Room Tip: Check rates on internet and then phone to book.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank crocnsw
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed in the historic portion of the lodge, and it was great. I was a bit claustrophobic in the bathroom, but realise that the bathroom size is probably due to the historic nature of the room. No problems with parking. I would definitely stay at Randwick Lodge again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bee070
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Randwick Lodge would not accept promotions by Sydney Lodges without an argument. No guest with benefit promotion as advertised by Sydney Lodges. Had to argue about free wifi.
Basement room was noisy caused by guests in upstairs rooms.
Parking is a hit and miss affair although website says it is available at $10 per day. Even after booking 8 weeks in advance, we were very lucky to obtain a spot and this arrangement was not advised at time of booking.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple