“Great location, definitely not luxury accommodation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avoca Lodge

Avoca Lodge
New South Wales, Australia
“Great location, definitely not luxury accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have stayed at Avoca Lodge twice recently, working at the local hospital. Location-wise, Avoca Lodge is fantastic. It is within very close walking distance to the main hospitals of Randwick (Prince of Wales, Sydney Children's, Royal Hospital for Women), shopping malls (including Woolies, Coles, miscellaneous retail, food courts), gyms, and cafes and restaurants. Randwick itself isn't too far away from Sydney CBD either.

I opted for the cheapest option possible, a single room. Even in the knowledge that it was budget accommodation, I was shocked at just how tiny it was. Size-wise comparable to a Formule 1 room. It got quite stuffy after a shower in the equally small bathroom, but I had to sacrifice privacy by opening the window and curtain, as my ground floor room opened right up to a busy GP car park.

Price-wise, I suppose it was quite reasonable considering its great location. Best of luck with parking (it's horrendous!). Mind you, it is in a busy area so that is to be expected.

One thing that was an annoyance was that a receptionist was almost always not present during its supposed opening hours. The 'We will be back in 5 minutes' was funnily deceptive. At one point, I saw the sign and came back in 5 minutes, but to no avail. I left and came back again, same thing. I was left knocking on the window to reception as I could hear people talking behind the door but was ignored. I had to call the manager on the 2-3 occasions that I needed to speak to reception. The manager always came within a few minutes of calling, but after a long and busy shift this was unnecessarily frustrating.

That being said, it was however very clean (aside from some dirty cutlery, which one would generally wash again themselves anyway). My room was also right across the small hallway to the communal kitchen, which was great.

Avoca Lodge forms a part of Sydney Lodges, a company which has many accommodation sites around Randwick. I probably wouldn't stay at Avoca again, mainly because Perouse Lodge (another Sydney Lodge site) is around the corner and similarly priced, but is that little bit nicer (stayed there also). Overall, it wasn't too bad. Book early to save some $$

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor - privacy is much better and the room is slightly bigger
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nikki201392

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
Wollongong, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Avoca Lodge is near the hospital and the uni of NSW for those visiting those places, which was the case with me. But it would also be a useful place to stay for any visitor to Sydney especially if you don't, want to be too touristy. I used to live in this area, and loved it.Randwick has good affordable restaurants, a pub, supermarket and handy public transport. From hear you can go to the city, Bondi Junction (change for Bondi Beach), the airport (by local bus, the 400 I think, please check on 131500.com for all Sydney transport). From the lodge you can walk to an area called The Spot which has a cute old cinema. You can walk or catch a bus to Coogee Beach. At Coogee beach you can go to the Woman's Baths (female only sea pool) for about 20 cents. Keep walking and you come to an ocean pool called Wylies baths. Entrance is a few dollars. Enjoy a swim, then have a coffee looking at the ocean. For a day out in good weather do the Coogee to Bondi walk, or a portion of it stopping for swims and at cafes in Bronte.
I have focused on location in my review, because that is why I would stay here. However, my single room with bathroom was clean and as a solo female I felt safe. This is not luxury but I would stay here again when I next need to be in the area. I would try to get a deal on wotif.com as I think all Australian accommodation is overpriced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travelbuggedoz
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at Avoca Lodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Avoca Lodge. Also, thank you for booking direct with us through our Sydney Lodges website, by far the most affordable place to book with the lowest rates on the web and no booking fees.

Firstly, I can assure you that the best rates online are always when you book direct with the hotel, and not through travel agents such as Wotif.com.

We're so grateful for the extensive review on the area you've given. We think Randwick is one of the best places in Sydney with such close proximity to the beach, the city and the airport.

Thank you for taking the time to review Avoca Lodge. We look forward to seeing you at one of the Sydney Lodges again soon.
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Before arriving in Sydney I contacted staff at the lodge and requested a room on the first floor and away from the road (as other reviews on this site suggested this as important). This is exactly what I got :-) I arrived for a three day conference late at night and the staff arranged for my key to be kept in the accessible outdoor safe. The room itself is nothing overly fancy but certainly gets the job done. The air conditioner works well, so even in the humid weather I've been very comfortable. Above all else the staff were extremely friendly and helpful in explaining directions and just dealing with all the normal customer service requirements. If I present at another conference at the unsw, I'll definitely be coming back as it's just a ten minute walk away. So if you come here anticipating that this is budget accommodation, and that the rooms aren't fancy, you can have a comfortable stay, cheaply and conveniently located close to buses, hospitals and universities. The taxi from the airport also only cost $25 which I thought was quite reasonable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Avoca Lodge and thank for booking direct with us on Sydney Lodges website.

We're so glad you found Avoca Lodge comfortable and convenient. I'm also very pleased to see your room request was given, this must have made you happy!

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was traveling through Sydney on my way to New Zealand and needed a flop on the layover between my flights.

Avoca was close to the airport and relatively affordable.

The general area the hotel resides in has some fantastic little restaurants and is abuzz at night so good for younger travelers or those looking ofr something to do at night.

If your not to fussy with your accommodation this will suite you just fine, it is reasonably clean and the bathrooms are big enough to swing a cat in :)

All in all unremarkable and not on my hot list of must returns, but better than a hotel formula 1

Room Tip: If you can get something upstairs do so or you will hear the floorboards creaking all night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at Avoca Lodge, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Avoca Lodge, and for booking direct with us through our Sydney Lodges website.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We love hearing from guests, your comments help us to continually improve ourselves as well as future guests to make good travel decisions.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

The rooms are clean and good size, quiet if away from the road. Internet works well. Location convenient, with bus service to central Sydney nearby. Randwick has a variety of reasonable restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Ask for a room down the side, rather than facing onto the road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

We love it when we get it right!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed for one night and found the lodge to be well located to the randwick shopping precinct, the hospital and coogee and also clean,roomy and comfortable and quiet. There is also a smaller set if shops very close which have restaurants,cafes, newsagent etc.. The parking is on street and it was ok finding a park,noting that many are three hour spots so you need to be aware of that in terms of possible tilts if inspectors are around. We would stay again for a couple of nights.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at Avoca Lodge, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Avoca Lodge.

We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Avoca Lodge. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We hope you were able to take a 'Guests with Benefits' card with you when you checked out so you can receive great benefits and discounted rates when you book directly with us next time on our Sydney Lodges website.
Byron Bay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed 2 nights last weekend and chose Avoca for the location of staying near relatives. Whilst the staff were great during the booking process and the place was easy to find, I probably would not stay there again. $160 a night for the queen and 2 singles (cheaper for the 2nd night) - the bathroom was bigger than the bedroom! Very noisy on the Saturday night - which is normal I suppose but the walls between each room are so paper thin, you could hear everything such as conversations, showers and doors closing. It served our purpose but will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DeeMac61
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at Avoca Lodge, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Avoca Lodge.

We're happy to hear you found Avoca Lodge conveniently located and the team friendly. Sorry to hear you will not return to Avoca Lodge. Possibly you would find some of our other six properties in Randwick more suited to your needs. You can view all of these on the Sydney Lodges website.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.