“Blenheim Randwick”

Ranked #9 of 10 Randwick B&B and Inns
oberon
“Blenheim Randwick”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

After reading very unhappy reviews, I was ready to cancel the accommodation, ONLY to be pleasantly surprised. Thank you Blenheim for a comfortable 3 night stay. The queen room was modern, clean and comfortable. Bathroom very small and signs of early 'ageing'.

Our room was quiet and set back off High St.

Location is great within walking distance to a variety of restaurants, pizza, supermarkets and shops. We attended a workshop at Syd Uni Randwick which is approx 7 min walk.

We left early each day and left a message on the phone requiring staff assistance. They were only to happy to help us on two occasions.

Although, there are only 4 car parking spaces there is plenty on the roads either side of the building.

A welcome letter was in our room offering Internet at no extra charge. Great, however, it was slow.

If you are planning on arriving outside office hours (as we did), let the hotel know in advance and they will email the codes for entry. It was very easy and smooth.

The hotel has stairs and a lift for options. The building has been designed to give each guest privacy. It's not just a block of rooms which was nice.

I would stay again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Blenheim St side are quieter. Balcony is a great option although we didn't use it...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank donna g
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at The Blenheim Randwick, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hi Donna,

Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at The Blenheim Randwick.

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and would return to us again on your next visit. The Blenheim Randwick does have one of the older WiFi systems in place, which means the internet is significantly slower than the other properties in Randwick such as Perouse Lodge or High Cross Park Lodge that use the new MyPort system which is very reliable.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We hope to see you again at one of the Sydney Lodges soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Bright ,clean and friendly accommodation. I have stayed there several times and the room is always spotless. Staff are always willing to help. Recommend it to anyone. Very close to Randwick shopping centre with close access to lots of buses. Near the University of NSW and Prince of Wales hospital.

Room Tip: Blenheim street rooms are a little quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at The Blenheim Randwick, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for staying with us again!

There's no better compliment than a return visit to one of our Sydney Lodges. We're so happy you find The Blenheim Randwick to be clean, comfortable and conveniently located. Being the closest property to the University, it sure does make for a convenient stay.

Thank you for leaving your comments, we look forward to seeing you soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed here last month, and throughout there was incredible noise of the street below and the smell was astounding, Fortunately the considerable noise from the air conditioner (set to heat) was dueling with it. And yes, I had earplugs in. It was crazily noisy. And the room just smelled foul. The layout was okay, but the stench and the noise was totally unacceptable.

Obviously someone was smoking in this room, even though apparently it isn’t allowed and the smell is lingering a lot AND there was a significant smell from the toilet. When I complained about both the noise and the smell, I found out that this is as quiet as any of the rooms (apparently, and I’m in Room 13) and when I inquired if there was a room in the middle got sarcastically told that there wasn’t a middle (yeah, sorry mate, I didn’t check the layout of the hotel when I first came in, it was a question) and I was also told that it shouldn’t smell. Good one. Well, it does. Apparently having your eyes burning from the smell of the place is entirely acceptable to this guy. The response from the manager on duty was appalling.

And the noise from within and without. Seriously if you hope to get some sleep and you don’t want to hear cars dragging, buses going past and stopping at all hours, stay in a better place.

Needless to say that even though I didn’t book the place myself (was booked for work), I really won’t be booking it ever again and neither will the people I have travelled with and work with, who found their rooms dirty and the person on reception just as unhelpful. I think if people are joking about how appalling someone is, it's time to reconsider your night manager.

Look, I realize that a bad smelling room and someone coming along and inappropriately smoking can happen, but any cleaner should have been aware of this (though the room itself was not that clean) and any manager should have responded to my complaint by moving me, not pretending it wasn’t happening. I even managed to find a mostly empty carton of milk, obviously from the last occupant, in the fridge. Clearly they don’t clean the place properly.

If you read the other complaints about this place, some are really similar to this, from a while ago and some recent ones are saying it’s a great place… and all I can say is that if this is normally brilliant, then they must have had a really crazy weekend or hired someone terrible for all of these events to have occurred. I seriously hope that this is responded to, because it really reflects badly on our partner institution that they booked this place (and they don’t deserve that) and we will certainly be sure to let them know.

I stay in a lot of hotels, have reviewed a lot of hotels on tripadvisor and I usually have great experiences, and review well... so I'm not just someone who is cranky and unused to a bit of unevenness. But this place really needs to reconsider it's cleaning and staffing. It's a shame because the location is great and it would be easy to soundproof those rooms. I also found out the next morning that my colleagues on the other side of the building didn't have problems (and one of my colleagues wasn't even checked in when I rang up to complain, so the guy could have moved me when I first told him the problems). Amazing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sandyosullivan
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at The Blenheim Randwick, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Hi Sandy,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Blenheim Randwick. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, your experience sounds horrific!

I have passed your comments regarding the smell in your room on to the hotel manager to have maintenance have a look this. Randwick is certainly not the most quietest of areas, however I apologise if the noise kept you from sleeping, this must have been most frustrating.

We take cleanliness and hygiene extremely seriously at all of the Sydney Lodges properties. I have passed your comments on to the housekeeping manager. I apologise that the cleaning was not up to your standards, we have clearly fallen short of our usually very high standards.

Many people love The Blenheim Randwick, with it's modern rooms and very close proximity to UNSW and the hospital. I'm sorry to hear that it was not for you.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

Travelers are raving about these Randwick hotels

Parkes, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

We needed a place close to the Malabar and restaurants. The room was small but very nicely decorated and had what you need. The only beef is the toilet had been used and not cleaned or the floor vaccumed. It was very handy to the great restaurants at the Spot.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margotjolly
, Guest Relations Manager at The Blenheim Randwick, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for leaving your comments. We encourage all guests to share their experience with others. It's a great way for future travellers to make their accommodation decisions at the same time as proving valuable feedback for us, so we can continually improve the guest experience.

We're very happy to hear you found the location convenient and the room satisfied your requirements.

I apologise for the cleanliness issues. We take cleanliness and hygiene extremely seriously and have already identified the breakdown from our usually very high standards. Please know that this issue has been fixed and our entire housekeeping team have been retrained so ensure that this issue does not occur again the future.

I hope you will return some day soon in the future to give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Thank you again for leaving your comments.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2012

he hotel is basic but in a good location for business with the university. Although I was told I could not check in at 1 o'clock as the rooms were not ready yet - when I did check in at 4 o'clock there was stains in the toilet and the room lacked the cleanliness one expects in a hotel. The rooms for a basic and not very clean hotel are still a high price for what you get.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank univisitor2012
, Guest Relations Manager at The Blenheim Randwick, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback on Tripadvisor.

We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at The Blenheim Randwick. Check-in time is 2pm however I apologise we were not able to get the room ready for you when you arrived at 1pm. As this hotel is very popular, we're usually very heavily booked each night which can make early check-ins not impossible, but a little tricky at times.

I apologise for the cleanliness issues in the room. At Sydney Lodges, we pride ourselves on extremely high standards of cleanliness and hygiene. We take housekeeping very seriously and appear to have unfortunately fall short here. Again, I'm very sorry you felt the room was not up to standards in terms of cleanliness, I have passed your comments on to the hotel manager so that we can pinpoint where the breakdown in our usual standards occurred.

Thank you again for leaving your comments. We hope you will return some day to give us a chance to redeem ourselves.
Wollongong
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here to go to the children's hospital. The location is great but the rooms are very small. The website said they have parking but there is only room for 4 cars and the surrounding streets are always full. When traveling with a baby having to drive around trying to find a park then carting all of that gear back to the hotel is a pain. It was ok but not great.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank tjw3
, Guest Relations Manager at The Blenheim Randwick, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for leaving your comments and feedback. It's really important to us to hear what guests think about us, it helps us to continually improve the guest experience.

It's great to hear you found the location convenient, The Blenheim Randwick really is in a great spot in Randwick, central and close to everything. I'm sorry to hear you found the rooms to be smaller than you expected. We try to take very honest photos of the rooms from different angles to really give guests as best an idea as we can with regards to the room size. I'm sorry we seem to have fallen short here. I apologise that there was no parking available for you. Unfortunately it's just one of those things about Sydney, parking is always at a premium and can be trickier to find than smaller cities or towns. If you're ever feeling frustrated or having trouble finding a spot, it's always best to talk to our friendly front office team who have local knowledge about the streets and restrictions. I do hope they were able to help you in your situation.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Dont be deceive by the photos. We stayed at the hotel recently and were utterly disappointed with the experience. The quilt has blood stains and the room is dirty. There were dusts all over the aircond vent and hence we decided not to turn on the air cond .

Also, the room is extremely small, such that there wasnt much space to move around nor to put our luggage and stuff ( even when we were travelling light for 2 persons).

And we had problems sleeping at night due to the noises from neighbours as well as the Hospital right across the apartment. There were banging of doors and loud noises at night and also the ambulance and garbage truck noise in the midnight was very distracting.

All in all, i would never go back to this place nor will i recommend it to anyone

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple