“Relaxing hotel with good customer service”

Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed 2 nights over a weekend, rooms were spacious, well appointed and clean and staff were verry helpful. Location wise north ryde is not the centre of the action in Sydney, though with the train station just up the road nothing is too far away. All in all not a bad option if you don't have to be in the city. Tip.. car parking is free on the weekend as is internet access if you join Marriott rewards.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 28, 2012

A hotel in the middle of North Ryde was chosen for me because of proximity to my business destination. It really is the middle of nowhere. The view from the room across the carpark to McD's was less than inspiring. Likewise the bed that wasn't long enough for my 6'2" length (I'm hardly a giant). Breakfast is very good, though when I asked for fried eggs that had more than a third of the white cooked it was kindly explained to me that "it's called sunny side up" - more like runny side up... The barmaid said she would need to look up the recipe for a Martini so I didn't dare try that. Having said that, the room was cheap, tidy and clean. The room service was quick, reasonable quality, and well priced, although exotic things like tomato juice or diet ginger beer were unavailable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cremster
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Guest

We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and after reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.

I am pleased to inform you that our hotel has both king and two double beds option available, which all guest could request at the time of reservations. All our beds are made as per Australian standard size for a king and double bed.

I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our food and beverage. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager and General Manager, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary actions and trainings are implemented to improve our quality of food and beverages offered.

Dear Guest it is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write your valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward hopefully welcoming you back to our hotel again one day.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I picked this hotel due to price i.e. reasonable for Sydney - about $350 for 3 nights.
Also, I had a rental car because I wouldn't even think of staying here without one!
It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere with a Macca's across the road for your free wifi and Big Mac. Fortunately the parking is free on weekends.
The room was fairly basic. However, the aircon works well and the kingsize bed was relatively comfortable.
Bathroom is boring. Have a shower via the handheld nozzle (which can be attached to the wall) while standing in the bath.
The smallish widescreen TV re-transmits free-to-air TV via the docomo servce.
This means that nearly all channels are 'squashed' which, to me, is totally unacceptable!
They have the usual pay-per-view movies at the usual rip-off prices. I didn't try it.
There's no traffic noise in the room but, for some inexplicable reason, on the last night there was some noise at 3am from somewhere outside. Fortunately it only lasted 5 mins.

We had breakfast on the last morning in the restaurant on level 1. It's a grubby place! My fork was filthy - it had some baked-on crap on it. My coffee mug was badly stained. Needless to say I shifted to another table and accepted the slightly less stained coffee mug this time :(
Even the floor isn't too clean and is it really necessary to have two grubby floor mats at the entrance to the restaurant?
Full breakfast is $28. Cereal+toast+filtered coffee is $14.

All-in-all, a no frills hotel at a reasonable price which needs a bit of cleaning up!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences for your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde. We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and after reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered.

I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Food and Beverage and Housekeeping Manager, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary actions and trainings, are implemented to improve our quality of food and beverages offered and general cleanliness of the hotel.

I would also like to take this opportunity to inform that we are located 20 minutes away from Sydney CBD and are very well connected via public transport. The train station is only 100 meters away and the bus stop is right across the street on lane cove road. Other activities in the area include Lane Cove National Park where you can have a picnic, go for a bush walk or bike ride and hire a canoe. Macquarie Shopping Centre is only a two minute drive from the hotel where they have Ice skating, movie cinemas and about 250 specialty shops. We also have our brochure stand located in our lobby that has a great range of tours and activities available in the local and Sydney area.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is near a train station and one can be in Sydney within 20 minutes. The staff is friendly and service minded. The restaurant generally serves excellent meals including bountiful high quality breakfasts---the chef who manned the omelet station on the days on which that was part of the breakfast offering was constantly mingling among the guests to make sure that they got what they wanted, The staff would bring out smoothies and other food items directly to the tables on top of what was in the varied buffet. One Saturday morning, however, the restaurant was so busy that the restaurant did run out of certain of their foods for breakfast and the general bedlam in the restaurant did not allow for a pleasant experience----the restaurant needs to be prepared for high occupancy which it clearly was not. Parking was free during the weekend, but given its location it should be free all the time. As a Marriott Gold member, we were entitled to free wifi. Generally, a good value for travellers, especially those with children.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank trifectatraveler

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.

We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and in particular the loyalty our Marriott Rewards Members’ show towards our hotel brands. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our food and beverage options and I would certainly pass on your compliments to our kitchen team for the great work they have done, particularly the breakfast chef.

I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Food and Beverage manager, who I shall work with, to ensure that we plan better for our high occupancy days.

Dear guest, it is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write to me as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward hopefully welcoming you back to our beautiful city again one day.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard Mariott as we were visiting friends in the Northern beaches so in terms of location, it was ideal. We were a direct 30min drive from the airport and 30mins from our destination. I was surprised how busy the place was for a weekend as it was located in a business park a fair way out of the city. Having said that, there was a train station 3min walk away and for the price that we got it for, it was substantially cheaper than anything in the city. So if you are on a budget, this place is true value for money.

The rooms were really great. They were a decent size, very clean and bright. I liked the fact they had one big walk in shower rather than one of those shallow bath efforts. It was a good use of space. The only thing I would have liked to have seen would have been more toiletries. They had the basics but things such as the cotton wool, toothbrush and comb would have been good (but I’m really only saying that because we forgot ours!!). There is an onsite shop where you can buy any items you may have forgotten but at slightly inflated prices.

In terms of dining, there are limited options on weekends. There is a Ribs and Rumps next door which does a roaring trade even on weekends and that was adequate enough. We also saw a Thai and Malaysian place across the road. On the first morning we grabbed a quick bit of brekkie at MacDonalds. They have a McCafe there so it was a decent start.

The whole experience was really pleasant and hassle free. The staff provide a great and friendly service and should be commended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sam_Evans75
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very nice and clean Courtyard in the Sydney suburb of North Ryde. The rooms were fine, and wifi was free if you are a Marriott rewards member. Wifi was fast too. No problems at all with my stay, the staff was friendly, check-in fast. The hotel is about a 20 min drive from CBD. Be aware that many of the roads in Sydney are toll roads, and they do not have toll booths, everything is electronic. So if coming from out of the country like I did, I would recommend using the rental car's toll service. Otherwise, you may get large fines. Hotel was also a block from train/subway station, but it was closed for servicing the weekend I was there, so I cannot comment on it. Parking is $12 a night, but free on Friday and Saturday nights.... Breakfast was excellent during the week with a chef preparing omelets, etc. During the weekends it was also very good without the chef. Be prepared to pay however, as its extremely expensive, like all of Australia. Breakfast was $28 pp!!! It was very good, but not $28 good. I had a package deal where room and breakfast was included for the weekend, and it was a very good deal, so look for that. No other complaints, the hotel was very quiet at night, and I would use again without a doubt.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank gsx1990
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a good hotel, its only draw back is the fact that it is well outside the city, but on the upside there is a train station around the corner from the hotel which made it very cheap and easy to get around. I liked the fact that they had laptop sized safe in the rooms so you can go to the city without any worries about leaving your stuff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1 mi away
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
MGSM Executive Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!