“Great Hotel Staff and Wonderful room and cafe”

Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and myself stayed Jan. 26th-30th.. All hotel employees were friendly and so very helpful. Starting at the check in desk, cafe, maid service, room service we were made to feel special and were well cared for. I would recommend this hotel to all who ask.
Thanks to the entire group of employees you all added to our Outstanding visit to Sydney.
Sincerely, Candace and David Whitaker Longmont, CO USA..

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Since we were visiting relatives living north of Sydney, we stayed a few nights at the Courtyard North Ryde. This is not the usual tourist accommodation, but serves as a business hotel for the many corporate headquarters located in the area. It’s a few blocks from the light rail, so it’s ok for accessing the city.
It’s a pretty basic, with a staff that’s not particularly friendly. There are no privileges for elite Marriott Reward members, but they did offer free Internet for all who sign up with the program. The rooms are a good size, but not great in the organizational department. Also, it was not very clean, with mold growing around the bathtub. The bed was OK – not great. The fitness room is a joke, and the restaurant is terrible. The breakfast buffet is very overpriced, with poor quality food. There’s a MacDonald’s across the street, which is more economical and has much better food. It’s a 10-minute walk from a very large mall, with lots of fast food and other choices. Head over there if you want to eat dinner.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.
After reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Courtyard” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion, your expectations were not met.
I absolutely understand how disappointing it must have been to find some mold around the bathtub. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping Manager and we both inspected the faulty rooms and arranged maintenance work to be conducted immediately. I have used this experience as an opportunity to retrain our housekeeping associates to ensure such poor service does not occur again in the future.
I am also disappointed with the fact that our breakfast was not up to your expectation in terms of quality of food. I have shared your feedback with our kitchen team and since then we have made some changes in breakfast buffet items. I would like to propose, should there be an occasion you were to return to Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde, to please contact me directly at ‘sudhir.yadav@courtyard.com’ so that I could use your stay as an opportunity to ensure improvements have been made since your last visit.
I would also take this opportunity to mention that all our Marriott Elite guests get their bonus points for stay. We also offer a complimentary upgrade to next best available room on arrival however it is subject to availability.
It is only through such important feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide and I sincerely thank you for same. Look forward to welcome you back again.

Warm regards,

Sudhir Yadav

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I booked and received confirmation for two interconnecting rooms. When I arrived the requested rooms were not available.
Also my card carried an authorisations for payments for amounts which were in no way related to the room I eventually got and paid for.
The staff were friendly but I am not happy have my money unavailable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.
At Courtyard we strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Courtyard” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion, your expectations were not met.
I would also use this opportunity to explain our pre authorization process for room and incidental charges. As a hotel policy we request an imprint of credit card from each guest at check-in for the daily room rate and an additional $100 for possible incidental charges for each night. The authorization of $100 allows guest to charge incidentals (Room Service, Telephone, Paid Movie, Minibar etc) to their room. The pre authorization taken at check-in blocks the funds on guest credit card; however it is a block only not a charge. At check out this block gets released automatically and the remaining balance from pre authorization gets credited to guest account and the same appears on credit card statement between 3-5 business working days.
On this occasion it appears as this has not happened and I very sorry for the inconvenience. In order for me to investigate this and resolve this issue, please contact me directly on the following +61-2-9491-9500 or sudhir.yadav@courtyard.com.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Warm Regards
Sudhir

Reviewed February 19, 2012

The hotel is located in a high tech offices area. We had problem with the limited parking (for a fee) at times during the stay. The
Staff was very attentive. Room was fine. The bathroom was quite small, but clean and functional.
Internet was included due to status with Marriott Rewards. Buffet breakfast was pretty good.
The bed was the most comfortable I have slept on for more than a year.
I think when I am on business in the area, I will certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

Dear Guest
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde. It is through such valuable feedback we can improve and maintain our service standards. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the stay. I have noted your feedback on the car park during busy days and will discuss that with my team to control it more proactively . I also wanted to take the opportunity to clarify that car park is charged from Sunday to Thursday night for $12 per night and is free on Friday and Saturdays.

Thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed at the hotel last week for two nights, I have been staying here for the last 2 years and over that time it has constantly delivered. The rooms while not luxurious are very comfortable and well appointed for the business traveller. The bed is particularly comfortable with a selection of pillows. My biggest complaint is that the bathrooms are very small, but that is the only complaint.
The restaurant is not fine dining but it has a good selection and is priced reasonably. The breakfast is good and the lunchtime buffet for $20 is a good deal. In addition to the hotel dining there is a steakhouse "ribs and rumps" within 2 minutes walk of the hotel which has great steaks and ribs. The Macquarie park shopping center is about 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank paulcardio
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This hotel is really not bad at all. If you are looking for a clean, quiet and comfortable place to stay in this part of Sydney (which we were) then this is well worth your consideration. There are some particular reasons that standout for me including location (and the amenities close-by). I would definitely stay again.

Is the location good?
There are significant advantages of this hotel if you are visiting the northern parts of Sydney. I had a set of events that took me to Baulkham Hills and the Northern Beaches, so the hotel’s location on the junction of Ryde Road and the M2 is perfect for these parts.
In addition to this, it is a short walk (admittedly beside busy roads) into the quite serene Lane Cove National Park. Being able to go for a jog or walk through here was a real plus. Finally, within walking distance are a very large shopping mall, restaurants, fast food outlets and many office complexes in this area.

What is the room like?
We stayed in a loft suite with the whole family, at a rate of $275 per night including breakfast (which covered the kids as they were 12 and under). This worked out quite well – assuming your kids are happy to sleep on a sofa bed together.
There were a few quirky things about the suite – it seemed impossible to have very limited reading lights on upstairs whilst having all lights off downstairs. This, however, was really the only annoying thing. It was quiet, clean, and comfortable. Everything was made up as requested on arrival and plenty of towels and amenities were available. When serviced, the room was returned to an immaculate state.
Downstairs had a desk, sofa bed, sofa, bathroom (without shower), TV. Upstairs had main bed, bathroom, TV.

But are the beds comfortable?
The king-sized bed was firm and had a light, basic duvet. I really liked it and slept really well, but my wife found it a little too firm. I suppose it depends on your preference.

What was the food like?
It was basic but OK. Quite satisfactory as something included in the room rate, but I would absolutely not pay the price quoted if not included in the room rate. If you are to fork out a significant amount of cash for a hotel breakfast, it needs to be something special, which this was not. Having said that, the kids enjoyed the hot breakfast.

Was it quiet?
Yes it was pretty good, particularly given that it is near a pretty busy main road.

Anything special?
As mentioned, the proximity to Lane Cove National Park is a real plus if you like some exercise in the morning or afternoon – a very tranquil escape from the city.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This was the second time staying at this hotel in Sydney. It is located in more of a corporate business area and perfect if you do not want to stay in Sydney's CBD and/or pay the higher Sydney hotel prices! The staff is friendly and accommodating. The breakfast buffet was good and they kept it out for 30 minutes after their closing time as there were people still coming in, thank you! I have stayed at this Courtyard the past two Decembers right after Christmas and the place is consistently good.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn Express Sydney Macquarie Park
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
MGSM Executive Hotel and Conference Centre
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!