“A great venue for your workshop”

Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I have just held my 18th workshop in under 2 years at this venue and continue to be impressed by the wonderful service and attention by the staff, and the quality of the food and general amenity of the property and thought it was time I registered my appreciation on tripadvisor!. I have not stayed overnight but I have asked for feedback from workshop attendees who have all praised the quality of the rooms and the helpfulness of the staff. The meeting room has been set up exactly as requested each time and refreshed without intrusion at each break. A very pleasant, bright, light and comfortably stylish lobby; complimentary parking, a location near main arteries, close to a train station, superior buffet and fresh modern dining area, attention to detail for refreshments at breaks with a bar and lounge areas for afters, together with highly professional staff and exceptionally good value all add up to a great experience for all. Just keep it up and we will be back over and over again! And I love the Marriott Rewards for when I travel overseas.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 22, 2011

The price to stay was excellent but disappointed in the checking in and out system.We booked to stay as we had a Wedding nearby.What a disappointment it turned out to be, check in is 3.00pm arrived to check in at 2.45pm. Front desk lady (very friendly) taking ages on the computer to find a room that was ready. Said for us to go and have a coffee in restaurant (our cost) while trying to find us a room that was ready. Saw one group who said they had been trying to get their rooms and it was 4.30pm. I counted 50 people staying there for the Wedding and most people had trouble with checking in and checking out. One couple trying to get ready for the Wedding with staff trying to fill the fridge for the room. Marriott offers a bus service to wedding venue which is very nice of them do to so. We had to book our names for the bus. A lot of people in foyer for the bus shuttle and no stage did the hotel say to anyone that there would be two bus runs with 11 people on the bus, So 22 people were able to get the bus the rest walked to wedding venue. Bridal party arrives to check in after wedding to find their room had been cancelled. Groom had to come to front desk to show confirmation of booking and asked who cancelled the room, hotel had no idea. Eventually a room was found, brreakfast was good. Again problems with checking out. Good value for money for room and breakfast but something has to be done with checking in an out. Would I stay there again I don't know.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jan h
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Problems
1. I booked two rooms on your website: Weekend internet package. First confirmation email was correct. The second email had 1 room booked for 2. The mobile app had the wrong reservation. I added a third room a few days later, but the reservation was not updated in the mobile app, nor did I receive an email confirming the update.

2. 3 different confirmation codes: only the original with the correct reservations.

3. I called the hotel the day of check in several times. I either got no answer or an answer or a direct transfer to their automated system. Finally, someone answered with, "Front desk.” For an outside call it's in appropriate. For any call, without a hello, or my name is, is unacceptable. I explained my situation to the FO Agent who transferred me to reservations. I explained my situation to reservations and she referred me back to Front Office.

4. Asked for a dirty martini at the bar, the bartender did not know how to make it, which is fine. Her supervisor tried to make it with black olives - unacceptable! Then she said that her supervisor would not order her green olives. I don’t really care. I would rather you tell me that you don't have olives instead of making it incorrectly.

5. I ordered a taxi. The FO Agent said it would be here in 5 minutes. 20 minutes later he finally got a taxi, only after he gave mine away. The FO Agent mixed up several other taxi requests, as I heard the taxi dispatcher complaining about him while I was in the taxi.

6. I ordered 3 weekend internet package deals. How to log on was never explained during check-in. They also still had our reservations wrong. None of us are reward members. Without permission, the girl gave two of us memberships without explanation. The one that she did not give a membership to was charged for the internet because he was not a “member”. This is ridiculous, as the weekend special was not limited to members. Otherwise, I would not have been able to book the hotel on the Marriott website. Even though the reservations is listed as a weekend internet package, the FO agent was not allowed to remove the rates. So my colleague paid for the internet in his room rate and had to pay additional internet fees.

7. One of my co-workers left a day early. He requested a cab for his 7am flight. the FO forgot to book it

The service all around was terrible. I look forward to your feedback.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank monicagragg
Reviewed November 19, 2011

First time i have stayed here, i wanted a short getaway from the city and just to unwind and relax and this place was everything i hoped it could be. As soon as i walked through the doors the staff were friendly, informative and made sure i was happy. It is only a 10/15 min walk to the macquarie shopping centre, and right across the road from mcdonalds, so if u want a late night coffee or treat u can just run across the road and go for it. There is Ribs and Rumps literally next door which has great food, if you dont feel like going out u can either dine in or room service, i didnt order any room service but i did have breakfast there both days i stayed , i got a great deal with a king size bed, i requested high floor and i got it, and breakfast was included and i got a bottle of wine when i arrived, this was perfect! i requested a robe and slippers and they were so fast and very helpful about it, it was the perfect little getaway. I thought the buffet for breakfast was extensive and wonderful there was lots to choose from and they sure made it hard to choose what to eat first !!!
I loved the fact as a marriott rewards member i got free wi fi for just being a member and the location is so handy!

Overall this a must stay hotel, i stayed at the Stamford Grand near by previously and like everyone else who has commented by far the marriott is so good! you ask they deliver, so def recommend the Marriott ...

Room Tip: Higher floors less noisy to road side rooms, also if you sign up as a marriott rewards member you ge...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here several times because of work. The room for me was average and service was ordinary. I just felt disappointed that during evenings, they don't have housekeeping to attend to your requests, unlike in some hotels. There was one time that my TV's remote control was malfunctioning and no one was answering in housekeeping and it was the receptionist who went up to my room to check it for me. One time when I needed the adaptor, I had to go down (in my pj's) to get it from the front desk myself. The only staff that really liked was Paul, the shuttle bus driver, who was very warm and gracious. He drives guests to work (around the Macquarie Park area) and is always prompt when picking up guests after work. Another one is Alex, the limousine driver who picks up and brings guests back to the hotel. If you're working for the day and leaving in the afternoon, you can check-out in the morning, Alex can pick it up from the Courtyard and then pick you up at work (if you are working within the macquarie park area) and then drive you to the airport. And he only charges AUD95, unlike if you take the taxi, you're fare can even reach AUD100++ during peak hours.

In terms of location, it is very convenient. There is a good restaurant just within the compound, Ribs and Rumps, or if you're into fastfood, there is McDonalds and KFC across the street. You can also walk (or jog if you're into that) to the Macquarie Center which has a good selection of shops and restaurants, and a Big W, Meyer and Target and Woolsworth which is very convenient in case you forgot to bring something with you during the trip. It is also 5-10 minute walk to the Macquarie train station which makes going downtown quite easy.

If this is your first time to go there, and is unfamiliar with the place, I suggest that you don't take the taxi from Sydney International because everytime I did, the taxi driver is not familiar with the location and even with their GPS, they tend to take the longer route to get there; and that had made me so anxious for the whole duration of the trip, and it is quite a drive from the airport to north ryde. So I suggest that you call or email the hotel to arrange for Alex to pick you up or email him directly (elmi.alex@gmail.com) so that you can have that peace of mind.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gbytes
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Third stay at this hotel. By far the most pleasant and overall best value option in North Ryde. Strongly recommended over the overpriced Stamford Grand near by. Very good breakfast, complimentary newspapers and free wi-fi throughout the hotel. Free parking from Friday-Sunday.Staff are on the whole are friendly and helpful.

One minor point to flag is the room decor which is not quite up to date and could do with a refurb in the next year or two - however overall is still perfectly comfortable and acceptable (and much better than furnishings at the Stamford or Quest apartments).

The room service options on previous occasions have been perfectly decent, although unfortunately on this stay upon calling to order at around 21:00, I was informed that the chef was sick and that as there were not enough staff members on duty, nothing could be prepared for me. In this situation, I would normally expect staff to be able to recommend a take out option, however no suggestion was forthcoming.

The previous point aside, it was still an enjoyable stay. Highly recommended regardless of whether you are staying in North Ryde for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lollypollyme
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Came here by bus as we realized there is no train service on weekend. The lady at the front desk was quick & efficient. We were extremely delighted to get a complimentary upgrade to a duplex suite - apparently the best room in the property!

The room has pretty much everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Sofa bed & a guest toilet conveniently located on the first level; king bed & a second bathroom located on the upper level. Balcony opens up to a beautiful greenery view, where fastfood is right across the road. Our request for extra pillows & towels were satisfied, can’t ask for more than that!

The restaurant menu looked mediocre, so we opted to have dinner at Ribs & Rump, a steak house less than 10 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 mi away
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
Meriton Suites Chatswood
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!