“its has its good points and bad ones”

Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here several times because of work. The room for me was average and service was ordinary. I just felt disappointed that during evenings, they don't have housekeeping to attend to your requests, unlike in some hotels. There was one time that my TV's remote control was malfunctioning and no one was answering in housekeeping and it was the receptionist who went up to my room to check it for me. One time when I needed the adaptor, I had to go down (in my pj's) to get it from the front desk myself. The only staff that really liked was Paul, the shuttle bus driver, who was very warm and gracious. He drives guests to work (around the Macquarie Park area) and is always prompt when picking up guests after work. Another one is Alex, the limousine driver who picks up and brings guests back to the hotel. If you're working for the day and leaving in the afternoon, you can check-out in the morning, Alex can pick it up from the Courtyard and then pick you up at work (if you are working within the macquarie park area) and then drive you to the airport. And he only charges AUD95, unlike if you take the taxi, you're fare can even reach AUD100++ during peak hours.

In terms of location, it is very convenient. There is a good restaurant just within the compound, Ribs and Rumps, or if you're into fastfood, there is McDonalds and KFC across the street. You can also walk (or jog if you're into that) to the Macquarie Center which has a good selection of shops and restaurants, and a Big W, Meyer and Target and Woolsworth which is very convenient in case you forgot to bring something with you during the trip. It is also 5-10 minute walk to the Macquarie train station which makes going downtown quite easy.

If this is your first time to go there, and is unfamiliar with the place, I suggest that you don't take the taxi from Sydney International because everytime I did, the taxi driver is not familiar with the location and even with their GPS, they tend to take the longer route to get there; and that had made me so anxious for the whole duration of the trip, and it is quite a drive from the airport to north ryde. So I suggest that you call or email the hotel to arrange for Alex to pick you up or email him directly (elmi.alex@gmail.com) so that you can have that peace of mind.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gbytes

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Third stay at this hotel. By far the most pleasant and overall best value option in North Ryde. Strongly recommended over the overpriced Stamford Grand near by. Very good breakfast, complimentary newspapers and free wi-fi throughout the hotel. Free parking from Friday-Sunday.Staff are on the whole are friendly and helpful.

One minor point to flag is the room decor which is not quite up to date and could do with a refurb in the next year or two - however overall is still perfectly comfortable and acceptable (and much better than furnishings at the Stamford or Quest apartments).

The room service options on previous occasions have been perfectly decent, although unfortunately on this stay upon calling to order at around 21:00, I was informed that the chef was sick and that as there were not enough staff members on duty, nothing could be prepared for me. In this situation, I would normally expect staff to be able to recommend a take out option, however no suggestion was forthcoming.

The previous point aside, it was still an enjoyable stay. Highly recommended regardless of whether you are staying in North Ryde for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lollypollyme
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Came here by bus as we realized there is no train service on weekend. The lady at the front desk was quick & efficient. We were extremely delighted to get a complimentary upgrade to a duplex suite - apparently the best room in the property!

The room has pretty much everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Sofa bed & a guest toilet conveniently located on the first level; king bed & a second bathroom located on the upper level. Balcony opens up to a beautiful greenery view, where fastfood is right across the road. Our request for extra pillows & towels were satisfied, can’t ask for more than that!

The restaurant menu looked mediocre, so we opted to have dinner at Ribs & Rump, a steak house less than 10 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Modern, clean, and, in many ways, upscale when compared to many USA Courtyards. Rooms are comfortable and functional with large work area, ample electrical outlets, and comfortable bed. In room climate control worked great and was easy to set. Bathroom had thirsty towels. Parking is generally ample, although when the hotel is full or there is an event going on, parking can be difficult. I stayed on the weekend and parking was free - during the week, it's chargeable. Internet service worked well - in my room, it was wired, although I believe I was within reach of a wireless signal as well. Restaurant on site, although I didn't eat there. I've stayed here many times (most recently October, 2011) and have always had an excellent experience. Walking distance to CityRai'ls Macquarie Park station with easy access to Chatswood, the Sydney CBD, and other rail routes. Fast food restaurants and a 7-11 within walking distance.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room here.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank step12dude
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Sir
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde. It is through such valuable feedback we can improve and maintain our service standards. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the stay. I have noted your feedback on the car park during busy days and will discuss that with my team to control it more proactively . I also wanted to take the opportunity to clarify that all our rooms and public areas have wireless internet facility.
Thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel provided a great place to stay for a short notice overnight stay in Sydney. Not too badly located if you have a car the rate was excellent, the room very comfortable and the staff very friendly. Free parking was a bonus on a Saturday night which can cost up to $35 in some Sydney hotels. All in all a good find on the afternoon of the stay. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Wanderers98

Dear Sir
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the stay. I have noted your feedback on the car park and I wanted to take the opportunity to clarify the car park costs. The costs on the weekends (Fri and Saturday) is free of charge and is only $12 on the weekdays (Sunday-Thursday). Thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 14, 2011

I have stayed here many times for business and is the best option for businesses based in North Ryde. Far superior to the Stamford in terms of moderness, food and basic hotel requirements. Rooms are nothing flash but meet the requirements for business trips. Hotel is pretty quiet with good transport links.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have a courtyard. Rooms facing away from the road are less noisy
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Mattress88
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I booked this hotel at the last minute purely based on TA ratings as we needed a hotel for a few nights to attend the Better Homes & Gardens Show at Homebush.

Really wasn't expecting too much as I figured it was a business focussed hotel in a business park at North Ryde. Well as a previous poster mentioned the hotel exceeded my expectations..

Friendly welcome at reception and we were given a room on the 8th floor, so nice view. The room was spacious, and my request for 2 double beds was met. The room was spotlessly clean and very well-appointed, with two lounge chairs and a desk and chair, and room for a suitcase etc.

I joined the Marriott rewards program before making the booking so wi-fi access was free for our stay (otherwise $19.95 a day).

The hotel is a short walk to Macquarie Park train station, and across the road from the hotel is a Thai restaurant, a pizza/kebab place, KFC and McDonalds. The hotel is also a short trip from Macquarie Shopping Centre. The is also a Rib & Rump restaurant in the adjacant car park.

The Marriott should clone some of the staff at this hotel, especially Jessica and Anna. Every staff member I encountered greeted me and my requests for ice to the room and an additional blanket were met promptly.

I will recommend this hotel to friends and family and we will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1 mi away
Travelodge Hotel Macquarie North Ryde
Meriton Suites Chatswood
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!