“Tired but functional”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Tired but functional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

We booked into this hotel for about 12 days in August, choosing the location to be near where my brother lives. My overwhelming impression of the "Executive" North Ryde is that it's very tired and undermaintained. We actually ended up staying in 3 different appartments, and essentially they were all the same- decor from the 90s (being generous), very uninspiring bathrooms featuring my pet hate- insipid showers that seem to be impossible to adjust to get the correct temperature, old kitchens with seemingly ancient appliences. Oh, and the air conditioning/heating is very noisy. To be fair, it was clean (although in one bathroom the smell of bleach was so overpowering as to make it unusable) and the desk staff were helpful. So if you want function, then fine, if you want luxury, character or romance, forget it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

On arrival I went to reception to check in, the girl on the desk took forever to do the simplest things. I then went to my room, the rooms are nothing like the photos and in need of an upgrade. The 'courtyard' is a small brick area with overgrown, unkept gardens taking over, and leaf litter hiding the floor, with some plastic chairs thrown in the middle. That said all of the basics are there, and the laundry is a good bonus. The dishes were filthy; dried food on the bowls and plates, dusty glasses etc. In the bathroom I found a delightful assortment of bugs living under the spare toilet role. I dont think the place had been cleaned for a while. Next I wandered around the grounds, the 'gym' smelt repulsive and the pool had its two umbrellas lying on their sides. This place really doesnt care what it looks like. A note to business travellers; the location is very good for the Macquarie Park area but dont rely on the shuttle bus (the driver is fantastic) but reception staff fail to notice or let you know when it is running late or early, so you pretty much have to show up and hope for the best. Twice out of seven times it was on time, once it left early (and I recieved no phone call to say it was early), and the other four it was over 20 minutes late. Now I understand theres traffic and all the rest - just dont expect the reception staff to actually let you know, or help when you ask them where it is(all bar the man working there who did his best). Customer service in general was poor to say the least and the standards of the grounds low. It is very basic, I've stayed in hostels with better service, rooms etc. Definately does not deserve its four star rating!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a large team sporting event, our team took up 6 of the 2-br apartments. We were not sure what to expect with the varying degrees of reviews good and bad and were hoping for the best when we arrived.

For what we wanted - which was apartment style living for two weeks with kitchen and laundry - this suited the purpose and was fine. I won't say it was outstanding but it was perfect for what we needed. It was close to transit (bus stops across the street), it was close to a large mall for shopping (groceries and regular shopping) and it was a nice quiet neighbourhood type of area (not a strip of hotels all strung together).

The rooms were clean - not spotless but clean. The 2br apt seemed huge, small kitchen, small eat-in area off the kitchen, larger dining room, bedrooms of decent size, large family room area.

Jen

• Stayed October 2009
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

The rooms were clean and very tidy. The facilities were great and the staff were very friendly. Was concerned after reading other reviews however found my concerns were unfounded. Would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

We booked this hotel on the basis of its 4-star rating and the spacious photos. It was to be a 3 day stay in Sydney as part of a longer holiday.
We pre-paid the 2 bedroom tarrif through WotIf and noted the no-cancellations policy; but we had confidence in the star rating system.

We arrived early evening and took our luggage to the room. The smell was overpowering to the point of making us sick. We asked for another room and this was almost as bad. The cleanliness was poor both inside and in the grounds.

We complained to the management and checked out straight away losing $750 dollars.

Fortunately a great hotel down the road provided excellent - near new - accommodation for the same cost.

• Disliked — Poor cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

Our 4 night stay over New Year, was the most disappointing time of our stay in Aus. We paid £205 per night for a 2 bedroomed apartment and arrived to find the cleanliness of the apartment unacceptable - crumbs on surfaces, rubbish under sofas, old food in oven/microwave and on hob, cloudy windows, dirty patio and sticky finger marks everywhere. We were moved to another apartment that was hardly an improvement. The carpets in the apartments were worn and everything (except the curtains), looked tired and in desperate need of refurbishment. The bedrooms were Ok and spacious. The surrounding area was convenient, and shops locally were good. I would not recommend this accommodation, if you are used to a high standard and good value for money.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and musty smell
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Elaine49Uk
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2008

This place was booked for me by the company I'm visiting for a month. Seeing the previous review, I wondered what I was letting myself in for.

On the strength of that, I've been pleasantly surprised. It's described as an "apartment hotel". Each apartment is a terraced house (in UK terms; a townhouse in Australian; not sure about American vocab.). My apartment is larger than my house back home. It is very adequately equippped, clean and tidy. The lounge has a large-ish flat screen TV; the bedroom a reasonable (older) TV. There is a very new washing machine, and a reasonably new dryer. The kitchen has a new-ish microwave. Its stove/oven/grill is old and noisy, but works fine. There is an old dishwasher, whose performance is pretty poor.

I've got two bathrooms, despite only having one bedroom! Both are entirely adequate, with daily towel changes etc.

The pool is just the kind of thing you'd expect in such a place, and would be very welcome if only Sydney weren't having a one-in-ten-year cold/wet summer. So the Sauna is welcome - a little odd, but gets hot enough if you leave it long enough.

The gym isn't worth a look. But I found this place nearby:
http://www.maash.com.au/ and that has all the facilities you could want.

The "For Sale" sign was there when I arrived, but is gone now. I don't know what the future holds for this place, but it seems to have a good number of guests right now. Maybe some units are better than others; I don't know. I'm perfectly happy with it for my five-week stay. The corporate rate I'm getting is only about 60/70% of the headline price I saw on this site.

All things being equal, would I come again? Yes, most likely.

• Liked — spacious; contains everything you need
  • Disliked — noisy plumbing next door
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Ryde
Central Business District
Travelodge Hotel Sydney
Travelodge Hotel Sydney
#97 of 174 in Sydney
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,590 reviews
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde? Share your experiences!