“Decent value, nice quiet area”

Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a large team sporting event, our team took up 6 of the 2-br apartments. We were not sure what to expect with the varying degrees of reviews good and bad and were hoping for the best when we arrived.

For what we wanted - which was apartment style living for two weeks with kitchen and laundry - this suited the purpose and was fine. I won't say it was outstanding but it was perfect for what we needed. It was close to transit (bus stops across the street), it was close to a large mall for shopping (groceries and regular shopping) and it was a nice quiet neighbourhood type of area (not a strip of hotels all strung together).

The rooms were clean - not spotless but clean. The 2br apt seemed huge, small kitchen, small eat-in area off the kitchen, larger dining room, bedrooms of decent size, large family room area.

Jen

• Stayed: October 2009

Reviewed August 31, 2009

The rooms were clean and very tidy. The facilities were great and the staff were very friendly. Was concerned after reading other reviews however found my concerns were unfounded. Would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2009

We booked this hotel on the basis of its 4-star rating and the spacious photos. It was to be a 3 day stay in Sydney as part of a longer holiday.
We pre-paid the 2 bedroom tarrif through WotIf and noted the no-cancellations policy; but we had confidence in the star rating system.

We arrived early evening and took our luggage to the room. The smell was overpowering to the point of making us sick. We asked for another room and this was almost as bad. The cleanliness was poor both inside and in the grounds.

We complained to the management and checked out straight away losing $750 dollars.

Fortunately a great hotel down the road provided excellent - near new - accommodation for the same cost.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Our 4 night stay over New Year, was the most disappointing time of our stay in Aus. We paid £205 per night for a 2 bedroomed apartment and arrived to find the cleanliness of the apartment unacceptable - crumbs on surfaces, rubbish under sofas, old food in oven/microwave and on hob, cloudy windows, dirty patio and sticky finger marks everywhere. We were moved to another apartment that was hardly an improvement. The carpets in the apartments were worn and everything (except the curtains), looked tired and in desperate need of refurbishment. The bedrooms were Ok and spacious. The surrounding area was convenient, and shops locally were good. I would not recommend this accommodation, if you are used to a high standard and good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Elaine49Uk
Reviewed February 8, 2008

This place was booked for me by the company I'm visiting for a month. Seeing the previous review, I wondered what I was letting myself in for.

On the strength of that, I've been pleasantly surprised. It's described as an "apartment hotel". Each apartment is a terraced house (in UK terms; a townhouse in Australian; not sure about American vocab.). My apartment is larger than my house back home. It is very adequately equippped, clean and tidy. The lounge has a large-ish flat screen TV; the bedroom a reasonable (older) TV. There is a very new washing machine, and a reasonably new dryer. The kitchen has a new-ish microwave. Its stove/oven/grill is old and noisy, but works fine. There is an old dishwasher, whose performance is pretty poor.

I've got two bathrooms, despite only having one bedroom! Both are entirely adequate, with daily towel changes etc.

The pool is just the kind of thing you'd expect in such a place, and would be very welcome if only Sydney weren't having a one-in-ten-year cold/wet summer. So the Sauna is welcome - a little odd, but gets hot enough if you leave it long enough.

The gym isn't worth a look. But I found this place nearby:
http://www.maash.com.au/ and that has all the facilities you could want.

The "For Sale" sign was there when I arrived, but is gone now. I don't know what the future holds for this place, but it seems to have a good number of guests right now. Maybe some units are better than others; I don't know. I'm perfectly happy with it for my five-week stay. The corporate rate I'm getting is only about 60/70% of the headline price I saw on this site.

All things being equal, would I come again? Yes, most likely.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2007

This is an apartment hotel that really is like apartments. HOwever, they book on a daily basis. I would NOT recommend this place for a short term stay. It is in drastic need of renovation, from carpets to painting to the minor maintenance around the place. It is old and under-serviced. It's no surprise; Medina is trying to unload it, and that is why they are not maintaining it. THere is actually a for sale sign out front. Also, it is pretty much in the middle of no where for people who do not have a car.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank NZguy1
Reviewed October 4, 2005

I stayed here for four nights in September, in a one bedroom apartment (Unit #4), while attending a training course at Lane Cove. It was in a very quiet location, with green areas all around. Reception staff always obliging and friendly. My unit was spacious with a patio downstairs off the living room (with outdoor furniture) and a balcony upstairs off the bedroom. The kitchen was well equipped although showing signs of wear. Everything you could want including a dishwasher, oven, hot plates, microwave, and refrigerator - even a garbage disposal unit. There were two bathrooms upstairs (the second bedroom that I did not require was locked.) The ensuite bathroom was also in need of a facelift. Towels, toiletries and linen were of good quality and the unit was serviced daily. I enjoyed the heated spa located by the unheated pool. There was a shopping centre within walking distance and a bus outside the door. I paid $148 per night.

2  Thank AtStarwood
#2 of 6 in North Ryde
Holiday Inn Express Sydney Macquarie Park
Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
MGSM Executive Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde? Share your experiences!