“Wouldn't have come if weren't for the location”

Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Hong Kong
“Wouldn't have come if weren't for the location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed more than a week there for our family trip. The place is a bit old and need refurbish but I can stand with that in view of the price and location, which is close to my friends and family.

The worse part is the housekeeping. They change bed sheets and vacuum once a week (after prompting at the reception). We have babies and those who have will know what the room smells like after 2 nights if the bin hasn't been emptied. They tell us that they will change those towels if they are put in the tub, but that didn't happen. So I stack it inside the house next to the main door. But the cleaner still manage to ignore it and the bin. So in the end I have to go to reception to ask the mask face lady and also told her that we run out of toilet paper.

I specifically asked whether they have wifi and the customer service in the email said yes and I just need to pay at the reception. But turn out they only have a cable line and when I said I don't have a computer because I was expecting wifi she replied," Then there is no point telling you the price of the Internet service then!" I see that I have wasted her precious time.

When we left they told us we had taken something from the minibar which I am quite sure we did not since we bought our drinks from the supermarket but how can I argue that I haven't use something that they claim isn't there? End up paying for it. It's not the about the money but the attitude and poor management that gave the bad impression.
Wouldn't come here again if I can find a better place next time.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Pen401
TMQRMGR, General Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Pen401,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde and for leaving your comments.

I am sorry to hear that the team failed to deliver a satisfactory service for your stay. I am also surprise to hear that the bins were not emptied in our apartment as this is a part of the daily housekeeping service. I will share your feedback with my respective department heads to investigate into these inconsistencies and eliminate them from occurring for future guests.

Pen401, thank you again for your feedback regarding the recent stay as it will definitely assist us in improving the service to our guests. I would also like to welcome you again for your next visit in the area as the property is conveniently located to match your requirements.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

These are serviced apartments nestled beside the Lane Cove National Park in a very quiet part of North Ryde. All the apartments are split level ~3 floors. You enter in the middle where the dining room and kitchen are. You go down for the living space and open patio or go up a floor for the bedrooms. Not elderly or handicapped friendly. But great for large families with kids or big groups wanting to share an apartment.

All the apartments have 2 bedrooms - if you pay for the single room they just lock 1 room. Only the master bedroom has attached bath and a TV. The other room only has a desk and chair - very bare with the latest change. This was a dumb recent change. There is also a separate bath/toilet. Actual service is only once a week - but they do make the bed daily.

The kitchen is very well equipped and recently renovated with burner, large oven, microwave, dishwasher, kettle and utensils - so great if you plan to cook.

However the rooms, furniture, walls, paint, grounds are very tired and in need of serious update and renovations. Don't be fooled by the pool either - it takes 1 stroke to get from 1 side to the other! Being next to nature, you can expect all kinds of animals - insects, spiders, lizards (2 very colorful and large resident one to shock/entertain you) and rodents (especially in the roof space of apartments 20/21). Not to forget the common Cuckatoo wake up call at first light.

You also need to drive or wait for the sole bus if you want to get anywhere unless you are open to a dark long and uphill walk to civilization of food.

On the whole a good place if you have a large group and need a common place to stay and cook. However for singles or couples - not really a great or economical option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TMQRMGR, General Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear RayChaud,

As you mentioned, the apartments perfectly suit the requirements of large a family thanks to the size of the townhouse which offer plenty of space to each of our guests. Being next to a massive habitant for natural resources, the property often gets bestow with the fascinating creatures from the National Park which is quite popular among our guests. The property has completed a major refurbishment in early 2012 where comprehensive work was done on the carpets, artwork, paintwork and beds. I will share your feedback with my maintenance team to address any inconsistency in the apartments for future guests.

RayChaud, thank you again for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the property on your next business trip to the Macquarie Business Park.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for 6 days while my Husband was having surgery at Macquarie University Hospital to treat Prostate Cancer.It was a time of angst and Medina made it worse. I asked for a quiet sunny outlook from my room and to some extent, this was provided albeit next to the road rather than facing the bushland. Although the apartment is a bit tired and shabby and needing maintenance, it is very spacious and therefore I could forgive this. What I can't forgive is the shameful servicing of the apartment (it is supposed to be done every day and they couldn't even make the bed two of the days and just changed the towels) and it was also done late in the day. Papers were also delivered after 9am - so no point ordering them. This is a management issue as my Husband and I presumed that the cleaners weren't given sufficient time to do the work. In addition, the response in reception was generally a well rehearsed lack of acknowledgement that there was any problem. They also adopted this attitude when some mail didn't arrive and they kept telling me it would be delivered to my apartment if it arrived. My Husband just happened to ask the day we left and reception then indicated that the mail had been delivered to their sister hotel Travelodge and we would have to pick it up, despite the mail being marked with Medina's address and it had a date on it that was 3 days prior to our departure! Very disappointing!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TMQRMGR, General Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear San_Moon,

At Medina Serviced Apartment North Ryde, we encourage all forms of feedback as this allows us to identify areas for praise, as well as areas for improvement. I am sorry to hear regarding the reason behind your stay and also that the guest service and housekeeping service was less than satisfactory. As suggested, I will forward your feedback to our housekeeping contactor company regarding the time allocation, to ensure any inconsistences that can be eliminated for future guests. We share our mailbox with our sister hotel, therefore mails for both the properties delivers to the same postal address which later on get sent to the respective property. I do apologies that at this instance your mail was not delivered to you on time. I am also a bit disappointed to hear that my Front Office Reception team failed to please you with their guest service as I have recently received some nice comments through guest email that recently stay with us. I will share your valuable feedback with the team for more improvement.

San_Moon, thank you again for your feedback regarding the recent stay. On behalf of Medina North Ryde team, I would like to wish a speedy recovery to your husband and would like to welcome you and husband again whilst you visit Macquarie Park/North Ryde area next time.

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I really don't have much to say about this place except that it reminds me of a village/camp for school kids.

The apartment is spread over 3 levels, you enter the middle level to the kitchen and dining. A couple of steps to the bottom level takes you to a lounge area. A LOT of steps takes you to the top level to the massive bedroom with pokey bathroom.

Majority of the furniture is outdated and possibly set in place in the late 80's.

Not exciting.

Room Tip: Choose any room you want, just at a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear munkie87,

I am sorry to hear that the property failed to light up your expectations in your recent stay with us.
In regards to the property surrounds, as you know the apartments are nestled next to the National Park and surrounded by the landscape gardens, which is one of the many features of the property – but of course it may not be to everyone’s liking as some do prefer apartments which are located in just one building rather than a townhouse complex.
Since established, the property has gone through series of refurbishments, to keep up with the modern-day guest's taste, with the most recent one completed in early January 2012. Any repairs or replacement to the furniture or fixture is addressed on on-going basis to ensure smooth functionality in its operation.

Munkie87, thank you again for feedback regarding your visit, and we do wish that you return to Medina Serviced Apartments should you be traveling to the North Ryde / Macquarie Park area.

Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

The environment is poorly lit and very gloomy for a family stay. The inside has some sort of 3 level - as we enter is the kitchenette, go in further passing the dining and walk down 2 stairs to the living. Walking upstairs is the master with attached bath and the 2nd room and a separate bath. They charge for everything - even dishwashing even when we did not request for it to be done. Poor maintenance. I got locked out my apartment twice and the maintenance guys mentioned that the building is about 20 years and door knbs need to be changed. I thereafter got locked in my room and could not come out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Lizzlind,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde and for leaving your comments and your photos of the property.
I am sorry to hear that you the property failed to meet your expectations in your recent stay with us.
In regards to the property surrounds, as you know the apartments are surrounded by the landscape gardens, which is one of the many features of the property – but of course it may not be to everyone’s liking as some do prefer apartments which are located in just one building rather than a townhouse complex.
I am also sorry to hear that you were locked in and out of your apartment. As my maintenance team member mentioned, the property has been established in 1992, however there is regular and preventative maintenance conducted daily and the property also underwent a refurbishment last year. The door locks were not an item that was replaced, however they are changed should they require it to be.
Lizzlind, thank you again for feedback regarding your visit, and we do wish that you return to Medina Serviced Apartments should you be traveling to the North Ryde / Macquarie Park area.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the Medina North Ryde for 3 nights and had a wonderful time (Apartment 28). Since we are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 children) we had a two bedroom apartment. We found the apartment clean, modern, new and comfortable with plenty of room for us all. The main bedroom upstairs was spacious with a lovely new bathroom while my eldest two children shared the twin bedroom upstairs with adjoining bathroom. The two youngest girls (aged 5 and 4 shared the sofa bed down stairs). The kitchen was fully equiped, the linen clean and fresh and the apartment was fully air conditioned. The beds were also very comfortable. We used the laundry to wash and dry our clothes and it also has an iron to iron shirts etc. The main bathroom has a good working hair dryer and each day our towels were renewed. The highlight for my children was using the lovely pool and spa a few doors down from our room. We found the room great value for money as I had researched 5 other places for us to stay, certainly not expensive. Staff was friendly and very helpful, will def come back again when we visit Sydney.
Regards the Jena family

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the lower side of the resort, very close to the pool. We found...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leoni1972
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Leoni1972,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, and for leaving your valuable comments.
The team and I are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!
The townhouse apartments certainly have enough space to cater for families with all the facilities available not only in the apartment, but also within the complex (which the family enjoyed!).
Leoni1972, thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Service Apartments North Ryde, during your next visit to Sydney.

Best regards,
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

The one bedroom units are spacious with a courtyard and all the amenities. Lovely area: quiet, leafy and lots of birdlife. Bathrooms are cramped, old and mouldy and don't have hair dryers. Spa doesn't work (noisy) and both pool and spa could be better maintained. Good for a one-night business trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Sharn-tey R,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments, and for leaving your comments regarding your recent visit
I am pleased to read that you enjoy the property surrounds, as its setting is very popular being quite ‘green’ and quiet as the property backs onto Lane Cove National Park.
Thank you for also providing feedback regarding the bathrooms, and I am sorry that they did not meet your expectations.
I am surprised you found them cramped without hairdryers, as all the apartments do come with wall mounted hair dryers and feedback previously received is that the bathrooms are quite spacious. Nevertheless, I will have our housekeeping conduct an audit on the bathrooms and review the cleanliness and facilities we offer.
Sharn-tey R, thank you again for staying with us at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the property on your next business trip to the Macquarie Business Park.

Warm regards,
#97 of 174 in Sydney
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,591 reviews
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde? Share your experiences!