Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in North Ryde
Canberra
“Dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the Medina North Ryde a few weeks ago for two nights while my husband was on a work trip. Although the apartment was a great size it was very impracticable for those with kids. The stairs are very steep and the large gaps between the handrails have to be against the building regulations. When we called up reception and asked for a gate for the stairs we were told that they had some, but not any that suited our particular apartment. My husband went and collected one anyway and was rudely told that if we had advised them that we had children we would have been allocated a child friendly apartment - so I double checked my reservation paperwork and sure enough I could see that I had included my toddler and baby in the booking! We ended up having to use the chairs to block the stairs. The kitchen was filthy, I had to use half the bottle of detergent so that I could scrub it clean before I used it. The cutlery was all dirty and the draws had all sorts of dirty stains in them, they have clearly not been looked at by the cleaners in some time. Only the main bedroom seemed to heat properly, so my daughter’s room was quite cold and ours was hot. The downstairs heater didn’t work the first night so the next morning we were provided with an oil heater, which also didn’t work. The maintenance man provided us with another one and arranged for a technician to come look at the heater. When we returned that evening I found dust, cobwebs and dead bugs all over my bed from the technician accessing the roof space from above my bed. The next morning when I was checking out I advised the guy and he just looked at me and asked if I let them know that - well I was letting him know now. When I suggested that someone from the hotel should inspect the hotel room after having an outside tradesperson in there, my suggestion was ignored. I personally would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank h12354
, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear h12354,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North Ryde, and for providing your feedback.
I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay, and that the guest service and housekeeping service was less than satisfactory.
I will personally raise these issues with the relevant departments, as well as the contactor who serviced your apartment to ensure these inconsistences do you continue for future guests.
In relation to the apartment that you had been allocated – we understand that the townhouse apartments with internal stairs may not be suitable for toddlers, however we do have apartments which are more ‘child friendly’ than others where we are able to provide guards between the balustrades and child gates. Whilst I understand you did note on your reservation that an infant was travelling, we do at times require further information regarding your specific safety measures, as I am sure you are aware that there are different stages in infancies which have different safely requirements.
h12354, thank you again for your feedback, as this information certainly assists us in improving the service and product offered to future guests.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Travel a bit to Sydney for swimming events and normally stay in serviced apartments predominately in Parramatta. Thought we would try this location and see what what it was like. The night before we left home I decided to check out comments about i on this site - and have to be honest most of the negative ones were spot-on!
Location - a LONG way away from anything and next to M2 overpass. Long drive to nearest shops and no decent places to eat close by - unlike Parramatta or event the Courtyard Marriott.
Check in - When I checked the girl behind the counter was okay but then had to pay $150 via a credit card (told I would be charged extra for a debit card charge) to be held in the event that I used anything from the mini bar. When I asked if I would get it back after checking out told would take at least 14 -21 days to be refunded?? Then had to ask twice for a copy of the transaction report before finally getting one.
The apartment - very dated on the outside, walked inside to a musky smell, and when I went to turn on the lights realised there was a hole on the switch board where a switch had been pushed into board. Room sizes upstairs reasonable but marks on walls and carpets.
Air conditioning - as it was the middle of winter thought I would warm the apartment as both children with us taking part in a big swimming event and need to have good sleep and stay warm. Air conditioner VERY noisy - only main bedroom was hot, their bedroom was cool and downstairs was freezing - needed a blanket on us to stay warm. Then found out only two blankets for the three beds - go an figure!
Ended up turning off air conditioner due to noise.
While at swimming carnival rang up and spoke to staff about air conditioner and they did offer me another room but bit hard when you are not getting back to motel until 7.30-8pm and the swimmers have to be in bed by 8-8.30pm.
So asked for some spare blankets - yes they were delivered but they had more mystery markings on them than a CSI crime scene - and had what I hope was milk spilled on our blanket!
Clothes drier was older than me and sounded like it was going to seize up.
For the money we paid we could have stayed for a bit less at our normal places in Parramatta, been closer to Homebush, had a pristine apartment, enjoyed a warm apartment with very clean sheets and blankets and not worried about the cold and grime - and then there was the party!
Other locations have a no party policy but no this place. There was a party in one of the apartments near us and was fairly noisy. You would have thought that the manager living in the apartment right near us would have gone over and stopped it but no! Finished at 12 midnight and I know this because I was awake - tried to ring someone to sort it out but no answer on phones.
Overall - unless you want to stay somewhere right away from anything. somewhere that most things need fixing or repairing, somewhere where kitchen utensils needed replacing 5 years ago, somewhere where that is warmer in winter and where yuo do not have to have a couple of second looks at what is on the blankets - stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mark H,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North Ryde, and for also providing your feedback.
We like to encourage all forms of feedback as this only allows us identify areas for praise, but also those in need of attention.
I can understand that the property itself may be some distance from Parramatta, however it is ideally located for those who work within the Macquarie Business Park or require accommodation close to Macquarie University.
The $150.00 that had been processed to your credit card that you mention in your feedback is a pre authorisation or ‘fund freeze’, which is used as a security bond on your room. The release on this freeze is subject to each financial institution’s policy, which unfortunately could on some cases take up to 14 days. Should you still be waiting for the release of these funds, please contact the hotel with your bank details, and we can try to arrange to have these released earlier.
I am also sorry to hear that the apartments air conditioning did not meet your expectations – in cases like this, we do at times rely on our guests feedback regarding any maintenance issues so we can have these dealt with, as at times we do need to arrange external contractors to address the major maintenance issues including air conditioning.
Mark H, please also accept my apologies regarding the blankets – all our linen is cleaned through a third party, and I will certainly raise your concerns with them and the team member who delivered the blanket, as I do find this unacceptable.
In relation to the noise complaint, we do have management presence available onsite at all times in the event of an emergency. Any matters relating to noise outside reception hours, are directed through to Travelodge Macquarie, where the manager on duty will handle guest issues or concerns, and I again, please accept my apology on the noise disturbance.

Travelers are raving about these North Ryde hotels

Amman, Jordan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

We stayed here for four nights. Overall it was adequate and certainly affordable for a sydney suburban hotel. We had two very large bedrooms and two bathrooms which was great. The hotel was advertised as good for families but travelling with my small daughter, the three levels, wide spaces between handrails and steep internal staircase were a constant worry. The outdoor courtyard which looked quite nice in photos was filthy and un-useable. We were a long way from Macquarie shops and couldn't walk anywhere easily. The kitchen was adequate for simple cooking but the fridge leaked and the washing machine stuck on 'soak' until you turned the dial manually. Service was friendly but a bit clueless. We had a reasonably good stay but there were too many things that didn't measure up to stay here ever again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Xmasbabe
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Dear Xmasbabe,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina North Ryde, and for also leaving your comments.
As you mentioned, our apartments are very spacious, which the families love! We do understand the importance of safety with the apartments and with little ones running around it does get a little concerning. In order to address this issue, we have guards which we can place up underneath each of the balustrades, as well installing child gates, so if you do choose to stay with us in the future, please let us know and we can have this installed for you prior to your arrival.
I am sorry to hear that the courtyard wasn’t presented well during your visit. My team of gardeners are constantly going through each of the courtyards in the apartments, as well as the public areas to ensure the comfort for our guests – however with the so called ‘Summer’ we have been having, the difficulty is getting gardening done whilst the sun is out, however please be rest assured that this is at the top of our ‘to do’ list.
I am also sorry to hear about the fridge and the washing machine – these items serviced on as needs basis, therefore I trust this issues were dealt with when you raised these with reception.
Xmasbabe, thank you again for leaving your comments and we do hope to welcome you back to Medina Executive North Ryde in the future.

Bairnsdale, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

These rooms have a lot of things going for them but a few bad points really let it down. The newly refurbished 2 bedroom apartments have heaps of space and look quite nice, there is secure undercover parking, shopping centre near by and even a bus that runs almost from your front door right into the city. All very convenient, but was let down by the amount of noise in the plumbing in our room. The toilets squealed after flushing (or sometimes just by themselves) and if the people next to us turned their water on you it was just as bad. Happened at 11pm on the first night and woke both our young children/toddlers. Made for a very interesting night. Luckily next door was empty most of our stay but we requested a move on the last night for the same reason (the second room was squeal free). I certainly wouldn't recommend staying in the 2br apartments if you have any small children. There are 2 sets of stairs with not much of a railing to stop crawlers/new walkers falling. Overall though, we would consider staying again, just not with the kids and not in the same room

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Krystal C
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Krystal C,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North Ryde, and for leaving your valuable comments.
I am pleased to hear that you appreciate the newly refurbishment apartments, as well as the convenience of the location - with the surrounding bush land, it certainly doesn’t feel like you are in Sydney at times!
I am sorry to hear about the plumbing in the apartment and the noise from the pipes. I will have my maintenance team try to resolve this issue, as we certainly want our guests to have good nights sleep.
I can understand the concerns you have regarding the staircases in the apartments, and we do actually have guards that we place underneath the balustrades to assist in the safety of the children, as well as child gates for the tops and bottoms of the stairs.
Krystal C, thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive North Ryde.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

The apartments (2 bedroom per villa/town house) are clean and there is a good deal of space for a family to have a nice holiday. However, the small backyards to each of the apartments are VERY overgrown to the point that you can not enter them. The children's play area had 1/2 meter high grass, no sand in the sand pit and only had a set of swings. This was a big disappointment to the kids when we went investigating the children's play area. The pool does not have an operational toilet so you need to return to your apartment if you 'need to go'. The BBQ area is nice. We used this facility almost every night to cook our dinner. There was rubbish in the garden beds which stayed there for the whole 8 days we were there. It is located very close to Macquarie Shopping Centre and a regular bus runs outside the property. It is not a 5 Star Apartment but if you can overlook the lack of garden maintenance and a few other issues then give it a try. The kids loved the lizards roaming around the garden.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lilyanne P
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Lilyanne P,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North Ryde and for also providing your comments regarding your stay!
I have a team of handyman and gardeners on hand at the property, and we are always going through our courtyards in each apartment by schedule to ensure our courtyards are well presented. I apologise that your apartment may have fallen through the cracks, however thank you bringing this to my attention, as I could imagine with children, the more room for them to play in, the better!
As for the children’s play area; although the area is adjacent to the property with access, we unfortunately do no maintain this area, as this is council land. The area itself has been deemed 'unsafe' therefore we try to discourage guests in using this, and have also tried for the council to remove the equipment all together to avoid any further dissatisfaction, and more importantly, harm.
Lilyanne P, thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Medina Executive North Ryde to play with the lizards!

Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

I must admit I was a little apprehensive when I read the reviews on the site, having been booked into the hotel on a short business trip with a colleague.

Well, it was definitely no Ritz, but it was reasonable priced relative to the other hotels in the area and there were 2 bedrooms, a small kitchenette & a living room area. Most importantly, the rooms & bathrooms were clean & things worked.

Did not really use the kitchen & laundry area but this would be useful for small families who need the space. The mini-bar & internet were very expensive though.

Room Tip: If you are arriving late (after 10pm), you have to go check in & get your keys from the Travelod...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Tahoch,

Thank you for staying with us a Medina Executive North Ryde and for leaving your comments.

As you saw, the apartment space that we offer at Medina Executive North Ryde is second to none, and very ideal for those who want more room then a hotel.
You would also be pleased to know that we are currently going through a refurbishment, which is scheduled to finish just before Christmas! I dont believe it will still compare to the Ritz, but we will certainly try to give it a run for its money!

Tahoch, thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive North Ryde during your next visit to the North Ryde, and Macquarie area.

Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

A budget apartment with minimal service. Don't expect too much. It is very family friendly apartments. Great size. Very very very old. Poor communication between each area of complex. Stunning location and great parking.Little things mean a lot to consumers these days and we put up with bad service as our expectations are so low.I know how pointless it is voicing my concerns directly. Stay because it is size that matters for families .

Room Tip: Phone to check when your room will be ready so no waiting after 1400.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Hotelsareourlife,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North, and for also providing your valuable feedback.
At Medina, we appreciate all forms of feedback - as this allows us to identify areas for improvement.
I am delighted to hear that you appreciate the size of the apartments, location and parking facilities - these certainly are our strong points!
In regards to the apartments, you would be delighted to hear that we are currently working towards a refurbishment of each apartment, which we believe will compliment the size of the apartments and due for completion prior to the end of this calendar year (fingers crossed all goes to plan and there are no delays prior to Christmas!).
Hotelsareourlife; once again that you for providing your feedback, and we would love to welcome you back in the new year, once our refurbishment has been complete in the hope to change your perception of Medina Executive North Ryde.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Ryde
Central Business District
Travelodge Hotel Sydney
Travelodge Hotel Sydney
#97 of 179 in Sydney
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,498 reviews
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde? Share your experiences!