“Fantastic Atmoshpere and Great Food”
Review of Mary G's

Mary G's
Ranked #25 of 104 Restaurants in Lismore
Cuisines: Australian
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We went to the Byron Bay hinterland for our honeymoon last November and spent almost every evening at Mary Gs after we stumbled across it by accident. We went to the trivia night and musical bingo and won a voucher each of those nights. The food was not only plentiful but good. We're going away again in a couple of months and we chose the same area primarily for this pub. I can't wait.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Great food, great price!! I had a kilo of prime rib with chips and coleslaw, yummmm! Dessert was good as well.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This hotel appears to have been renovated recently and is now known as Mary G's, I believe. There is a duplicate set of reviews on Tripadvisor under this name, so read those as well.

We were initially attracted by the exterior of this place. It had big windows that opened onto the street, and there were new and colourful tiles decorating the walls - a modern take on a classic pub style. When we entered the pub we strolled up to the bar to ask where to order, and were told we could simply take a seat in the 'bistro' and someone would take our order. (The bistro just looked like the lounge of the pub.) We then asked if we could order our drinks and were told again that this would be done from the table. While this is expected in a restaurant, you don't expect it in a pub, and in fact it slows the whole ordering process down. We sat at our table and had to wait a few minutes before anyone came to take our order, and then had to wait for our drinks to arrive. This is not what you want in a country pub, I'm afraid. (I should point out that if it was a restaurant, the service was not slow - it was only slow in comparison to the direct-ordering process in a pub.)
We saw several meals going past that were absolutely huge, and this seemed to be the style of the food. I ordered macadamia-encrusted barramundi with chips and salad, while my husband ordered salmon with vegetables. When they arrived, mine was a typically large plate of food but for some reason my husband's meal was a moderate piece of salmon with a few quarters of potato and about three beans. Very small. It was as if our meals came from two different restaurants! His was quite tasty nevertheless, but mine didn't really work. The macadamias were coated in honey and sat on top of the barramundi in a little pile - the fish wasn't really 'encrusted', and the sweet nutty combo didn't combine well with the mild flavour of the barra.
I'd still give this place a go, as I think they're making an effort to provide something that is a cut above the average pub meal, and if they work at it and make some adjustments, I think this could be very pleasant. It looks nice, the décor is interesting and attractive, it's comfortable, and the service was pleasant on the night we were there. But if you want people to sit and order, they need to be greeted at the door - otherwise, let them order at the bar and save time. And finally, there needs to be some consistency in the size of servings.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Mary G's around 10 times,eating here on most of these visits. I've never been a huge fan of the place (despite the renovations, it still feels dark,dingy & unclean) but unfortunatelt on a Sunday,theres not a lot of options in downtown Lismore so our visits have been by default. The last 2 visits were ruined by a rude, unprofessional female bar attendant & as a result we've vowed never to return. Our 2nd last visit saw us standing at the unattended bar for approx 3 mins waiting for service, however nobody came. I went looking for someone & found the aforementioned bar staffer sitting on a stool in the TAB area, watching the screens. She reluctantly came to serve us but seemed like she did not want to be there. I wouldn't have thought too much about this however on my next visit I recognised the same female staffer when she came to serve us (again after standing at the bar waiting for service for about 30 seconds). We wanted food AND drinks so we asked if we could order food at the bar. She replied we could but then walked off without explanation. After about 2 mins we were about to walk away to see if anyone else could serve us when she returned & started taking our order. During this time, another staff member came behind the bar & started talking to the bar attendant. The bar attendant then ignored us mid order to chat to the other staff member-we could hear the conversation & it was clear it was not important & did not need to be discussed at this point in time. She turned away at least 3 times & we almost asked her if she could please finish serving us so we could go & sit down & have our drinks. Finally we got our drinks & went to sit outside. There was a group outside smoking & swearing loudly so we decided to move inside to eat. We asked a nice waitress if it was ok for us to move inside as we had first stated we would sit outside, she informed us this was fine, to just keep our number with us which we did. When our food was delivered by the rude bar attendant, she said very bluntly "in the future if you are going to move can you come and tell someone first"! I informed her we had & she replied "well no one told me", before storming off leaving us gobsmacked & very angry. I then went to eat my meal but felt straight away that it was cold. This was the 3rd time we'd received cold food from Mary's & we have seen other patrons sending cold food back also. After the rudeness we had encountered, we decided to simply ask for a refund as we no longer wanted to be there. The nice waitress provided this however I implore the owners to review their Sunday bar staff. I would highly recommend NOT to visit as the service, food & atmosphere are all terrible

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We wandered down to Lismore from the Gold Coast after passing thru lovely Bangalow , we arrived in Lismore and went for a wander around town , and ended up at the pub for lunch and holey moley what a terrific surprise , we had the most wonderful lunch I have had in years , and the price was unreal , 2 mains that would have fed 4 people and 3 beers and 2 glasses of wine , all for $50 bucks , how good was this !!!! a must visit when in Lismore !! .John and Gina .