“The real Faulty Towers”

Ranked #6 of 10 Leura B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“The real Faulty Towers”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

If you are really stuck for a place and this is the only place available my recommendation is finding camping spot instead.

This was one of the worst experiences of a B & B that I have had. The were driving from Sydney to this place and were around 30mins away so we gave them a courtesy call informing our ETA. Upon calling them the receptionist promptly said that the reception opens at 2pm and therefore we would not be able to check-in or enter the place prior to this time. I did explain that we have a 12mth old and have a picnic which we would like to enjoy maybe in their gardens... this was not to be. We open at 2pm, goodbye!

One thing about this place is that they are consistent; take full payment for 2 or more days before the key are handed over, rubbery eggs, stale bread, no other staff to be found other than the receptionist come maid, waitress, chef. Also, she has a canny resemblance to the Polly (maid from Faulty Towers).

How do these places that charge over $250 per night, actually survive in this day and age?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank bharatpmistry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Much that was advertised was unavailable or non-existent....no restaurant, no log fire, no 'magnificent views'.... at least not from our room! I did express disappointment at the first room we were given... distant views of the dumpster bins and a close-up of the iron roof of the breakfast room: second room had a bath but was dark and gloomy. It's a BandB, yet breakfast was advertised as complimentary!!!! Should therefore just be called a B (bed) establishment! The new owners should very quickly learn what actually constitutes a 'luxury' 'deluxe' place....most definitely not the meagre breakfast offerings....too bad if your penchant is not for prunes because that's all that was on offer....and the cereal flakes were more on the bendy side than crunchy! (Think they had counted out flakes per guest!!!) No choice for hot meal...mass-produced bacon and eggs (rather bouncy!) both mornings (we HAD to book for 2 nights!) ...don't like bacon and eggs?...once again, too bad! The room was supposedly serviced but no new tea/coffee or even a replacement for the one tiny soap from the day before. The lounge featured an urn with a very limited supply of tea/coffee....no milk ..and an empty water dispenser. Not the luxury we had envisaged. It was not even offered as a discount on Wotif...full price.$218 a night. The place has potential but stay away until management changes yet again or realises what true Band B luxury is! ....and what their competition offers for a similar price!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Leura hotels

Reviewed March 31, 2010

Unless you're absolutely desperate I WOULD NOT STAY HERE
- The hot breakfast was cold with rubbery eggs and leather bacon; the cereals are all left unsealed overnight and only covered in netting so they were all stale.
- The inside of the old fridge and long life milk cups were black with mould and the biscuits stale.
- The baby cot was rickety and felt unsafe.
- I asked for an extra 30minutes to checkout as my baby was sleeping and was told there would be an additional nights charge otherwise I had to leave immediately.
- I was accused of not advising I had an infant in the room, when in fact they called me back when I booked to advise there was an additional charge which I agreed to.
- After politely letting them know the fridge was mouldy and the breakfast stale I was verbally abused and told that my kids were disgusting and to [--] off and GET OUT, GET THE [--] OUT!! by the Manager all whilst holding my 10mth old baby. NICE!! Thank goodness my 2yo didn't see her rant.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed March 29, 2010

After a telephone reservation and giving our creditcard details the day before, we arrived at Leura house. At the reception we were given a receipt to prove that the amount had been taken from our account so the first night was paid for. We were then asked to pay for the second night. Which is a bit unusual, mostly you pay when leaving the hotel, not when you come in. The credit card did not work on the machine at the reception and the woman told us to find an ATM because our card was not working. We had paid twice that day without problem, but the woman insisted the fault was with our card. We asked to see the rooms first and I stayed while my husband got the suitcase. He became very annoyed when the receptionist refused to give him the key of the room. We decided to stay since we had already paid the sum of 218 dollars for one night in this Band B and went for dinner having to leave the door unlocked. There were no other guests in the BB. When we came back we went straight to the reception (with our cash), but we told the woman first that we felt insulted by her rude behavior. She then started to lecture us as if we were some minor employees of her firm:” I can see your ego is bruised, but these are the rules here. I don’t know how it is in your country but we do stick by the rules. I asked her very calmly: please explain your rules to me. “We have already paid for this night”. She cut me short by interrupting sternly : “there is no sense in further discussing this”. By the way: we are in our fifties and widely traveled, the woman was In het thirties and apparently operational manager/owner of the place. Hospitality means making your guests feel at home, welcoming them. That is also doing good business and will bring in more guests. The woman has some learning to do in the trade or she’ll ruin the place.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed March 26, 2010

WoW. We had a truly romantic time at this gorgeous Victorian mansion. We've frequented the mountains quite a bit, but never knew this place existed - just meters from the Village. It was very private and quite like out of a novel with its gardens and private hedges. The property is under new management and our hosts were really charming. We learned that this was the first house built in Leura - my husband is a writer so the history fed our imaginations. The house was really warm and really quiet and just plain HUGE. In the evenings a thick mist rolled in and made everything very magical. Cant wait to go back again in the future.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Last year I paid a full night's weekend deposit ($218) to stay at Leura House but had to cancel giving one week's notice. Unfortunately, they have since gone bust and new owners have stepped in. The new owners have said they are not honouring any previous deposits and they are not a charity. I say since they are in the hospitality business they could offer me three nights for the price of one or some such incentive. They have lost my business. They say they are not a charity. Well I guess they know what they aren't, pity they don't know what they are!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveliciousSydney
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We were very surprised by some of the poor reviews. We stayed only one night but would have loved to have stayed longer. The bedroom was spacious, attractive and comfortable. Complimentary tea/ coffee and biscuits near the lounge, as in the bedroom. The very large lounge was divided into a TV area and a "relaxing in front of the fire" area with books/ games- this was lovely after dinner. There was also a bar area. The garden was gorgeous, as was watching the fog roll in in the late afternoon. Dinner was lovely, as was breakfast. The location is ideal- a short stroll to the Leura shops. We had no issues with the heating, while we were not there in the middle of winter, it was a cold snap the weekend we were there. Along with the central heating there was a column heater which we turned off because we got too hot. At breakfast we were surprised to see so many people as the house had been so quiet.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort
Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Leisure Inn Spires - Blue Mountains

Been to Leura House? Share your experiences!