“Too expensive!!”

Ranked #7 of 19 things to do in Leura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We got there 40 minutes before closing, the grumpy man at the desk didn't even great us just asked for $40, we thought it may be a little cheaper as we only had limited time before closing as other museums have done this in the past, no map no information was given, when we asked some questions he answered them but in a very grumpy manner. Yes the house was beautiful and yes there was a good variety of toys but $40 for a family was very steep, it would be nice for them to also add in some later types of toys so the younger generations can enjoy too, we then went into the garden to look at the trains, great display but you had to pay $2 to get them going, the garden across the road also owned but the musuem also costs an extra $2 per person, over all very dissapointed this wasn't included in the admission price.

2  Thank Travelmummi
in 10 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Loved Leuralla - great old house with connection to Australian historical past. However, the Toy Museum was stunning. It was very nostalgic with many of the tours I knew in my childhood looking back at me. An excellent display and then outside were 5 acres of another gorgeous garden together with loads of train history from throughout NSW. A must see when you visit the Blue Mountains

3  Thank Cazza02
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Well worth the visit, great gardens plus railway and toy museum all on the one location! Train displays are fantastic! Very informative staff and helpfull. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Peakhurst1
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This place is just brilliant. You get a great package, there is the house is 100 years old & full of furniture & furnishings from the time it was built. Then there is the display of toys which is truly magnificent & so well presented. I have visited several other toy museums in the UK & the USA & in comparison, while they often have more toys on display, their displays tend to be haphazard. This display is so well presented. On top of this, inside the house, there was a magnificent historical display in respect of 'Doc Evatt' & his family.

Then there is a truly superb garden & a fantastic model train & railway display outside within the garden grounds. Personally I found it to be a simply incredible display. I must say that I was initially taken aback by the display of Nazi toys, but thinking about it, didn't Nazi children have their toys in exactly the same way as other children?

I'm sorry I didn't have my grandkids with me, while I was there I witnessed a large group of school children, from a local public school, about 7-8 years old & they were all simply enthralled & so well behaved. If you haven't been yet, this place definitely is worth the visit. Mod cons are a bit basic & there is no cafe but that is a small inconvenience I reckon.

2  Thank Theodore P
See more reviews
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The house was lovely and the toy collection was impressive. Not somewhere to take tiny toddlers; there was a family with a small boy who was sooo desperate to play with all the toys but obviously was forbidden it was almost cruel to witness - poor little chap. Not for older kids who would probably find it BORING! We are old enough to have played with some of the toys in our childhood and our son is young enough to still see the magic.Given that this is clearly a unique private collection and we were only likely to visit once i could justify the entry price.

1  Thank Hevly