“All I can say is WOW”

Old Leura Dairy
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“All I can say is WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed in the Workers cottage over Christmas for three nights. It was one of the nicest accommodations I have ever stayed in. We booked a bed and breakfast rate. On our arrival we were greeted by the very helpful manager who showed us to the cottage and we were so happy. We wanted something special as we were away from home for Christmas and boy did we get it. THe Brekfast was supplied in the cottage and consisted of homemade Yogurts, organic Breads, Friut, juices, Museli and a whole range of jams and preserves. We have everything that we needed for lunch as well as breakfast!
THe beds were comfy beyond belief and even santa found us. All we have to say is a big thank you and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Umina Beach, NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

Sick and tired of staying in hotels with little soul, I went hunting for somewhere to spoil my wife silly with a weekend of charm and romance. I struck gold at the Old Leura Dairy! I won't repeat the other reviews, but will say that I found a near perfect day. Waking up to sunrise at Bridal Veil Falls (and I am NOT a morning person!), then a very looooong slow lunch at Solitary and a steaming outdoor spa in about 3 degrees to finish the day. Guaranteed to win the heart of someone special.

• Stayed July 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

We chose to stay in Moo Manor as we were travelling with friends. If you want to stay somewhere completely different, but still keeping every comfort, then this is the place.They have "green" down to a fine art, almost all the furniture and fittings are recycled, but a fabulous kitchen with all mod cons. The beds and linens are top notch, as well as lovely bath products, that extra bit of pampering after a busy day.As I had made the reservation, I managed to keep this one quiet from my husband and our friends, so it was a complete surprise to them.They were amazed, kept walking around the house, saying, "hey,look at this" Not everyone has an old oven in their bedroom! We were welcomed with fresh flowers on the table, a jar of gorgeous homemade jam, and chocolates.
As we had been away by now for 6 weeks, it was so nice for the 4 of us to sit around the big table, having a lovely meal (hubby's BBQ'd) and to completely relax in the evening.
We sat reading(plenty of magazines) and chatting with a glass of wine while listening to some good music (CD's provided) It was my birthday on the second of the 2 nights we stayed there, and it was a day to remember ! Leura is a lovely little village, touristy, and therefore a bit on the pricey side - but highly recommended all the same

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LouSuffolk
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

We stayed in the workers cottage. It was Fantastic. Very homely. English style living.
However the breakfast was over priced.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Southampton, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed just the one night in The Workers Cottage with our extended family covering an age range from 70 - 3. Everyone loved the cottage, which was beautifully laid out with gorgeous bed linen, sumptious fluffy white towels and more pilllows than we knew what to do with. The kitchen was spacious with a slim long table that created a cosy chatty environment, although might be a bit cramped with 6 adults. I liked the way everything was provided, including their own blend of soap, shampoo etc and there was washing liquid, cloths and even laundry powder provided.

The beds were deliciously comfy and very wide and I think everyone had a really good nights sleep.

For those travelling with young children their was a range of videos and DVDs to keep them entertained after a day of fresh air exploring the beautiful Blue Mountain area. It is a very short drive to Katoomba and Scenic World.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

My partner and I spent two nights in the Buttercup Barn at Old Leura Dairy and wished we'd had more time! This is a place almost entirely constructed from recycled and reclaimed materials and the way the materials have been used is ingenious and in great taste. For example the 'tiles' behind our bathroom sink weren't tiles at all but seemed to be part of an old frieze of some kind in a wonderful pattern with a lovely texture and look, and the bathroom window was in three bright colours. If you like clean modern lines and materials then this is not for you, but we found it delightful. Unfortunately we didn't get to meet the owners but when we arrived our key had been left for us and the light was on and the radio playing. They had even been burning some essential oil or something as the place smelled delicious. It made it feel as if we were coming home and was just one of many thoughtful touches. For example the fridge was stocked with real coffee, butter and fresh milk, there were fresh flowers on the table and a jar of local apple jelly as a gift. The one tiny criticism I have is that it would have been nice if they'd left a couple of slices of bread in the fridge to go with that delicious jelly, so that you didn't need to go foraging for bread on arrival.
The barn was absolutely clean and the bedlinen freshly laundered. There were lots of lovely towels and the Dairy make their own toiletries (shower gel, handwash, shampoo and conditioner) with their own blend of oils. All of these were provided in big bottles for our stay and you can buy your own when you leave (I bought several as presents for people).
There was a decent stock of books and some DVDs, not that we had much time to read or watch as we only had two days and wanted to explore the mountains! But I imagine if you had a bad-weather day or just wanted to stay in and relax there would be plenty to keep you occupied. The barn has a table and bench outside where we ate breakfast.
We didn't have any of the catering but judging by the overall quality of this place, I'd say it would be very good indeed.
If you stay in Buttercup Barn you have the communal hot tub practically outside your front door! It was blissful although, another small criticism, could have been a little hotter. Hotter means less environment-friendly though so perhaps that's deliberate. And that's just a personal preference anyway.
One thing to be aware of is that the Dairy is slightly far out of the main bit of Leura, where the shops and restaurants are. It was a stiff ten-to-fifteen-minute walk, involving crossing a main road and largely uphill (although obviously downhill on the way home!). It was fine though and should not put you off staying here.
All in all I'd highly recommend the Old Leura Dairy and I will definitely stay there again if I find myself back in the Blue Mountains. It was a really beautiful place, a true original and a gem.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JacqLondon
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2009

I booked the Old Leura Dairy via Asia Rooms and secured a rate just under £100 GBP. I had no real idea and therefore no preference of where to stay in the Blue Mountains, but a friend who had lived in Sydney for a few years had mentioned that Leura was pretty and that had stuck in my mind. I'm so pleased that this was where I focused my search for lodgings, because many of the other towns we passed through in the Blue Mountains were disappointing in comparison.

So onto the review. We had no GPS with us but the written instructions provided by the booking website, together with a Sydney streetmap which fortunately also covered the Blue Mountain were an effective combination.

We arrived to find the cluster of the "Dairy" buildings at the end of a quiet residential road, snuggled together on a fairly tight plot. We had booked Buttercup Barn for the night; a 2 storey cottage fronted by a pretty courtyard.

First impressions were that the little one up, one down house was perfectly comfortable, and obviously very eco-friendly, although my husband was a little unprepared for the recycled building materials, straw wall, reclaimed furniture and exposed corrugated iron walls. Serves him right for leaving all the holiday research to me !

The Dairy buildings have been created by a couple with a real passion and the ethical vision (fully realised I may add) to create a cosy retreat, restoring old buildings and creating new ones using an astonishing 80% (if I remember correctly) recyleable materials ! Kudos to you both for fulfilling the brief.

The environmentally ethical integrity does not detract from the cosy good time feel. Our bed was wonderfully comfortable with quality bed linen that I would expect to enjoy in the best of hotels. The old claw foot bathtub was huge and I enjoyed the best bath, enhanced by essential oil enriched bath products made on the premises.

Little touches such as milk and coffee in the fridge, flowers on the breakfast table, a jar of the most divine apple jelly I have ever tasted make this a very thoughtful hostelry.

Only negative has been mentioned in other reviews (although didn't personally bother me). There is no sink to wash plates & cups so you need to use the sink in the bathroom. There is room to provide a small sink in the kithcen area, whilst it wasn't essential for me it would perhaps have made things easier certainly if guests intend to stay more than a couple of nights.

We popped to the local deli (madly expensive but all produce was very tasty) for bread, cheese, pate, chutneys and chocolate. The Wine shop is also pretty good. Armed with all we needed for a quiet night in we read books, listened to music and cosied up - that's what this cottage is made for. I felt the weight of long haul travel and a manic few days in Sydney simply melt away. That's the magic that is within this charming hideaway.

If you aren't sure if this is your kind of place, check out their website. It is a rustic retreat, not a corporate identikit hotel, and the owners will provide anything you ask. If you want a bag of groceries awaiting you, or breakfast, or an entirely catered stay - all you have to do is organise this with them, and they'll make sure that your needs are fulfilled.

Enchanting, unpretentious, simple and eco-sensitive. A delight.

• Liked — Old fashioned charm and thoughtful eco-sensitive concept
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank soul_babycakes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa

Been to Old Leura Dairy? Share your experiences!