“great nice location good motel”

Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leura
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This was our first visit to the Blue Mountains and we found our visit and stay in Leura Gardens very satisfactory. The resort location was great for visiting the various attractions in the Blue Mountains of Sydney. The gardens setting is beautiful and the area of the motel was very close to the Leura Village & Katoomba. Very good and free cooked breakfast and very friendly staff. Our unit had a nice balcony and was nicely decorated and fitted. Very good value ( we xheck few other places before making the reservation)- Higly recommended

3  Thank dannysnart

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I did a lot of research before traveling to the Blue Mountains as I made this journey by myself and wanted to make sure I liked where I was staying and felt safe there. This hotel was by far the best price for it's value. Many of the hotels I Iooked at online in the area frankly looked scary and were the same price if not more. I booked this hotel and had a nice experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast in the morning was very nice, but be aware, if you don't have a car, you will pay the difference for a nicer hotel near the city in taxi fares. The train fare going to Leura was $8.20, which is less than a couple liters of petrol. Amazing. That said, a taxi charged me $20 to go maybe 6km. The fare to go 1.5km up to main street was over $10 each way from the hotel. I stand by my feeling if you don't want to spend $300 on a hotel, this is the nicest for its value but either have a car or stay closer to the main street. This hotel looks like it was built in the 70's and many of the amenities have not been updates since(faucets, bathroom, carpet) but there's a flatscreen, it's quiet, and the bed is comfy.

Room Tip: Great place if you have a car
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank aliciajoy
Reviewed April 4, 2012

As I've often said, perception and value are so important but can change from person to person.
I had booked this after looking at the web sites and was influenced by "waldorf" which connotes a certain quality, "B and B resort" which suggests small, boutique and intimate and "country hospitality" which in normal cases means warm and friendly.
The photograph on this page even looks like a small intimate boutique style B&B.
Once you get beyond these few metres, it turns into a basic brick motel and none of the above assumptions holds true.
I was also influenced by the fact that i had rung the "motel" and asked about pricing and whether the $250 for the only available room was the best if I kept looking at the web sites that I still had open.
She said yes and I accepted as I didn't want to spend hours chasing a deal.
Imagine my anger when I noticed on the travel sites that they all offered the same room for $230.
It's only $20 but it was more the lack of openness and honesty.
When I checked in, I asked about it and they said I wasn't specific enough about it.
I said I had asked about better rates but they replied I didn't actually ask "if I looked at Expedia or Wotif, would I find a better rate"
This was all a bit cute for me and next time (except there won't be a next time) I would ensure I had a solicitor check the exact words of the deal.
The other main issue for me is that travellers who have experienced overseas quality would assume a similar quality to "waldorf Astoria" a well known quality brand.
I seriously wonder why a local company with motels would use such a name/brand.
The most objective critic of the quality and perception would be Lynn - she wasn't aware of any of these thoughts and as we walked into the room, the first comment she made was "we are not spending any time in here are we - what time is dinner at Solitary, who can we find to visit so that we don't have to spend time in this motel room"
She had no idea that we had just committed to $250 for this room - in her mind, it was a basic $99 motel room.
So yes, for all those who have paid $99, it may seem like value but if you have paid $200 plus, you would be seriously questioning it.
I have regularly paid more than $250 for the Sheraton, Hyatt, Westin etc. but this is no Sheraton, Hyatt or Westin.
When I asked about the pool, they start by saying it is an outdoor pool, and on further questioning about heating, they say it is solar heated but won't answer the question about its temperature.
In the mountains, "solar" must surely be cold but nonetheless I tried it.
I swim in either the harbour or the beach every day and let me tell you that they are warmer than "solar" at Leura.
As I was swiming a few lapas, I looked up to the motel rooms and thought I was in a scene from Jailhouse Rock" - the rooms looked small and the balconies made from look like the inmates from a jail.
Apart from that, the spa was dirty - there was sand on the bottom - no idea how it would have got there but it certainly didn't look like it was cleaned too often.
The sad thing is that the Blue Mountains is such a wonderful place to visit and a boutique style B&B would be perfect for such a weekend - unfortunately the Waldorf is just another large brick motel.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
4  Thank RonWamberal
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Checkin went ok, nice reception, this appears to be a motel with 2 storey accommodation units. Outside a little shabby, needs a good coat of paint, but inside generally in good order, bathroom a little dated, door needs to be fitted better within the frame, gap visible, pleased it wasn't too cold. Wifi in room, a little slow but free. Laundry on site. Breakfast in restaurant on site, good selection, but no shelter in getting there from the accommodation units. Overlooks a fairway on nearby golf course. Hop on hop off bus goes past front of hotel. Quiet area, would need car to get anywhere as Leura & Katoomba are incredibly hilly unless you use the bus. Dinner not available on site except at weekends, so need to travel for those meals. This is a lounge on site, but we didn't use it. For us it served a purpose, a place to use for two nights whilst we visited the Blue Mountains.

2  Thank rob3066
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Very great location within the Blue Mountains.We always will prefer the quite |Leura location and great view on the bussy Katoomba area. We enjoyed our 2 nights stay in Leura Gradens with its beautiful gardens and great value accommodation which included free full breakfast |& wifi internet. Very friendly and recently upgraded motel-highly recomended for its value,hospitality & location

3  Thank danielgass
Reviewed March 31, 2012

You will not go wrong by staying at this motel. Check-in was fast, the room of a decent size and the bathroom acceptable. Heating blankets in order; the safe was not working and was not repaired during our stay.
Rooms are quiet, free morning newspaper. (Free) Wifi with very weak signal requiring use of the computer in the main building.

3  Thank travelerAdelaide
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed only 1 night, last Saturday. We booked a family suite (for 2 adults 2 children). The room wasn't huge but had everything you need, King bed in separate room and 2 singles in the living area. We were disappointed because the pool & spa were out of order (we had booked the hotel because of these facilities as the kids wanted them). We were told at checkin that there was a fault, and the pool technican had been called to come and test the water. On closer inspection it looked as though they hadn't been bothered with the general maintaince as the spa looked quite dirty and was freezing cold so hadn't been in action for a while.
The buffet breakfast was substanial with fruit, cereals, hot breakfast + automatic coffee making machine and the service at breakfast was attentive and friendly. The gardens are quite nice.
Overall the hotel needs a bit of TLC, esp the woodwork in outside areas.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MytimeSydney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
2 mi away
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort? Share your experiences!