“Could be better with a full refresh”

Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leura
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with relatives in the beginning of October, 2012. We had driven all the way from Sydney and it was slightly before noon when we arrived. I’d made the booking separately from my relatives when I found out that it was an Accor property. The booking was done directly on the Accor website and the MIRVAC offer was entered for a 15% global account discount. However, I later found out that my relatives had secured a slightly better rate just by calling the hotel directly so that was something to think about. I booked a Fairmont Room with a King-sized bed.

Arrival

I drove through the grounds first and into the parking area located near the lobby. There was a spot on the upper level so thankfully, I didn’t have to lug the luggage too far into the lobby.
However, we decided to eat nearby as it was still quite early and before the official check-in time. We went to a local café in Leura first. It was close to 1 p.m. when we arrived back at the property and surprisingly, the rooms for my relatives was still not ready. The check-in member was on the whole friendly but seemed to be a little impatient when asked a few questions. My room was ready and available, perhaps indicating that Accor does look after its members more than those who just make a phone booking. In any case, we headed to my room at the far end of the corridor and waited till after 1:30 p.m., when the rooms for my relatives were finally available.

The Room

My room was quite a walk from the lobby, first we had to walk past a few rooms including the library and indoor merry-go round and then proceed right towards the end of the corridor. It was meant to be a newly refurbished Fairmont Room but parts of the furniture still looked aged and the carpet definitely looked as if it had seen better times.

It was quite a large room and had two sofa-beds, where it was perfectly possible to lie down and sleep instead of sitting on them. However, they too appeared to be either old or old-fashioned. The furniture in general also appeared old. The view was out towards the golf course opposite, which was quite ok as it included a view of the trees there as well. However, the window was located next to the driveway and that was slightly concerning. However, cars rarely passed and so it was still a reasonably quiet room.

The bed was quite comfortable. There were a huge number of pillows on it, serving purely as decoration and it may have been a little excessive. The TV was ok but it was not a brand name unit and there were some reception issues.

I found the bathroom just to be passable without standing out in any way. The bathtub really took a long time to fill, as the water flow wasn’t powerful. There was a spa function available which was not time-limited and that was appreciated. The shower was directly over the bathtub and again a number of issues were encountered. The showerhead would not stay in place and kept tilting down. The swinging glass cover to separate the shower from the bathroom also was not entirely effective, as water could easily pass through the gap on the bottom. Overall, the bath/shower was clearly designed for a spa bath function far more than for a shower one.

The room looked fine but as with the hotel as a whole, the refurbishment was not complete in that not all parts of the room had been updated and the result was a mixture of old and new, which I didn’t find ideal. The older aspects of the room may have contributed to a difficult first night sleeping in the room, which was mainly due to a past review on tripadvisor but the second night went much more smoothly.

Note that I have a video of the hotel room available through the link found in my profile section.

Public Facilities and Location

Later in the afternoon, I decided to try the indoor pool with a few of my relatives. The indoor pool was heated. There was another outdoor pool but that was not heated and seemed to be busy. The indoor pool was large by indoor standards so that there was room enough to swim even though there were quite a few children in the pool, given that it was the October school holidays. It was heated well but there was an immediate towel issue there, as the pool had run out of towels. It took about 30 minutes before fresh towels arrived. I noticed that the pool and gym area looked very old and were not refurbished yet, although the gym had new equipment.

For recreation, we also tried the games room and play area. The games room appeared to feature a few older arcade-type machines but they were still playable.

The lobby area of the hotel is spacious and there is a very nice view from the large windows out to the mountains. However, it did seem old and dated. The walk from my room to the lobby also passed a few old rooms and items. There was an old indoor merry-go-round and library. Then, there was an odd-looking display which seemed very old.

The grounds of the hotel were nice and green. There was a golf course opposite my room but it didn’t seem ok to just walk in the grounds without playing golf there.

The car park area was also quite scenic. There seemed at times to be limited parking. The upper level nearer the lobby tended to fill up quite quickly and anyone parking on the lower level would need to walk a little while uphill to get to the lobby, which could be an issue if they had any luggage.

We tried the buffet breakfast at the Jamisons twice and found the service there to be quite good but we always arrived quite early so there weren’t too many other diners present. The food selection was wide and the food was good. The first evening, we also tried the room service and the meals were fine with the service being quite warm. The Sublime Lounge was also tried once for its coffee, which tasted fine.

The location of the resort is fairly convenient; it isn’t too far to the centre of Leura with all its cafés and shops. However, the resort is still secluded enough to be quiet and peaceful. It does have large grounds so that would help it to maintain a secluded and quiet retreat atmosphere. The Blue Mountains lookouts such as the Jamision are not too far away.

Staff

I found that the staff on the whole provided good service and there weren’t any of the major issues mentioned in some reviews. I can only think of the time I asked about the pool towel issue at reception, where there didn’t seem to be a very polite attitude. We also tried the cooking demonstration held one afternoon for children and the cooking staff there seemed to do a good demonstration and could interact well with the children. I also brought my relatives to the merry-go-round indoors and they had a good time. I thought the lady supervising there was a bit less relaxed but it wasn’t anything too significant. The check-out process was professional and I was pleasantly surprised that the points attributable to the rooms booked by my relatives could be credited to my Le Club Accor account, that was certainly appreciated.

Conclusion

Overall, my stay here was a good one. However, the age of the rooms and facilities did somewhat detract or distract from the enjoyment potential. The location and solitude offered were both positive points. The staff service was also good. However, in all I would consider that a complete refurbishment and even better staff service levels would be needed for this property to compete with the best resorts.

NOTE: I have videos of the hotel room, which can be found through the link in my profile section.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank perryw
Fairmont7resort, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Perry w,
Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at Fairmont Resort. Please be assured that the refurbishment of the Resort is ongoing, while the intention is to retain the atmosphere of our 25 year old Leura icon. Planned additions are, the complete upgrade of the recreation facilities to include a state of the art modern spa and associated services. Likewise many of the items you have identified will be brought up to date and renewed.
we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont in the future

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went to the Blue Mountains for an abseiling adventure and as we are Advantage Plus cardholders we naturally stayed at the Fairmont. On arrival we found a warm and inviting atmosphere and were greeted by a friendly concierge who took our bags and directed us to a very pleasant young man who checked us in. The room was clean and comfortable but as per a previous reviewer, we were a little disappointed in the tea selection and would have loved a hot chocolate sachet. We were impressed with the toiletries on offer but there was no face washer and even though our room was serviced the next day, no face washer was left and we had to ask the service attendants for one when we saw them in the corridor. As is our custom, we get down and check under the bed before checking out and we found rubbish from previous occupants. A more thorough check of the room would alleviate that problem!

The food in Embers dining room was great but the service was not and after waiting 20 minutes for a waiter to take our order we ended up going to the bar to order it, then we waited another 35 minutes for our meal. We went to the International buffet for dinner in the Jamieson restaurant and the food and the service was fantastic!

As the Accor card was not accepted for breakfast we had a lovely buffet breakfast at the Waldorf which is just down the road. Parking is not great unless you are lucky enough to get one in the top car park, otherwise it is a fair hike down to the lower car park. Overall, a pleasant and comfortable place to stay and if we get a good deal through Accor again, we will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bunniesrus
Fairmont7resort, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Bunniesrus,
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay at Fairmont Resort. I am very pleased that our friendly concierge team looked after your arrival. I note your comments regarding the provision of hot chocolate and the tea selection - I can advise that we are currently reviewing our in house teas selection.
I do apologise and will follow up with our Housekeeping to address the shortcomings in room servicing.
Likewise I am sorry that our service in Embers was not adequate on the day. I am confident that these service issues are currently being addressed and will not affect your next stay.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here in late May/early June 2013 for one night whilst attending a conference and loved it. I first stayed at the Fairmont in Leura in 1995 and it was great back then. Over the years, however, I had heard that it had become a bit run down, which was a shame. However, knowing that it was under new management meant it was time to try it out again.
The rooms are very spacious and are what you should expect of a Fairmont Hotel. Comfy beds, well stocked and clean bathroom, lots of storage space - everything you need for a night away.
The food in the restaurant was very good. It's the usual international hotel buffet at breakfast and lunch, with a varying menu on a daily basis. It was all fresh, there was lots of it (if that's important to you) and the Fairmont team were very responsive to keeping it looking good.
Finally, a special mention to a particular member of the catering staff who really went out of her way for me. I missed the apple pie option one lunch time (apple pie is my favourite!) and was faced with a barrage of chocolate options - which is no good as I'm allergic to chocolate. Jacqueline went above and beyond to find me something else; organised it with the kitchen and brought it out to me at my table when it was ready. That's great, personal service that was very much appreciated.
All in all, I'd be more than happy to stay at the Fairmont at Leura again. In my opinion, it really is back to its best.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DJR68
Fairmont7resort, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear DJR68,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at Fairmont Resort. As we celebrated our 25th Birthday this week it is pleasing that you have had such a positive experience on your return

Reviewed August 11, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Col I
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have to say that over the last 10 years we have stayed at Lilianfels due to the fact that the Fairmont needed a major revamp.

After going back to Lilianfels twice this year and not being completely satisfied for the price, we thought it was time to give the Fairmont another try.

The Fairmont - We were very happy with the new revamped rooms, pool, kids areas (amazing, amazing - can't speak highly enough), breakfast very good buffet selection, doormen, front office, cleaning and almost all of the restaurant/cafe staff were just so friendly and helpful.

Cleaning was pretty good - glasses in room could have been cleaner.

There were no additional luxuries like at lilianfels eg bath robes and a bit scarce on the tea selection (would have loved a hot chocolate sachet). But at the moment, the price is much lower than Lilianfels, so I can live with that!!

Had a couple of issues with the Manager of Embers. The rest of the staff at Embers could not have been more helpful or friendly.

Had we not had the encounter with the manager at Embers twice, I would have given the Fairmont excellent.

We will definitely be back and if they keep up the maintenance, service and price point we will be back many, many more times and keep raving about it!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Destinationdesign
Fairmont7resort, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Lovetravelexplore,
Thank you for giving Fairmont another try and for the valuable feedback on your stay. We at Fairmont are continually striving to improve both the product and our service standards, I'm very pleased we were able to meet your expectations in most areas and will raise with our team the points for improvement identified by you. The hot chocolate suggestion is a good one and particularly as we are revamping our tea & coffee offering in the rooms. We do have bathrobes in our deluxe and luxury rooms.
I am very sorry you experienced issues with the Manager of Embers, and appreciate the positive comments regarding the other Embers staff.could not have been more helpful or friendly. I trust we will be welcoming you back with further improvement visible in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

One of the best places I stayed on my Australian adventure. The place has the feel of a mountain lodge with beautiful views of either the golf course or mountains/canyon. The rooms are fairly prices and very big with comfortable beds and a nice, clean, up to date bathroom.
We had a car but I think you could get around without a car. There are great cafes and restaurants to visit a short drive from the hotel but the hotel restaurant is also very good food and decent staff.
There were a lot of extra activities in the hotel that I did not have time to enjoy: pool, spa, bar, etc.

Room Tip: If you don't want to rent a car you can get around with taxis and buses. It's a great place...