“Not how I remembered it...”

Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leura
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Not how I remembered it...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed here many moons ago and remembered it as 'The' hotel in Leura. On this occasion I cant say we were impressed with a) the service at the front desk b) the quality of the room c) the amenities and d) the overall look and feel of the place. Out blankets smelt like cigarettes and we specified a non-smoking room. I was immensely disappointed overall and can't say that I'd go back. I know it's under new management and they're in the midst of getting it up to Accor standards, I hope you get it there one day but for the moment it's a run down hotel with no warmth. Sorry...

1 Thank Sarz292402
SydneyGeoff, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry to hear your stay was not enjoyable and that your expectations were not met during your stay with us recently.

We go to great lengths to ensure that Housekeeping standards are maintained to high standards so I was concerned to hear your comments about the Hotel & the room blankets. Be assured we will be investigating this.

Our staff' are also very committed to providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere on our Front Desk and again, I'm disappointed to hear that you did not feel this was the case during your stay.

We appreciate Guests sharing their concerns and will ensure that this feedback gets sent through to all our Departments within the hotel to make sure improvements are made in each of these key areas.

Regards,

Geoffrey R York

General Manager, Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We have just got back from 2 nights at the Fairmont. Reading previous reviews I was concerned re what to expect. We travelled with 5 other families and had a very positive experience. Yes, the hotel is under renovation, but it didn't affect us at all. Even though the weather was not great, we had a great time in the indoor heated pool, gym, playing board games, golf, going for walks in the hotel premises - in fact we didn't need to leave the hotel at all. Breakfast was included in our rate, and was great. Lots of fresh food and choice. We ate dinner at the bar next to the fireplace the first evening, and although a limited choice the food was fine. We ate at the al la carte the second night, and that was great. For the amount we paid (4 of us comfortably shared a family room) it really was value for money. We will return and look forward to seeing all the improvements next time.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

I have been going to the Fairmont for over 10 years and after this visit I may not go back again. The hotel is undergoing renovations which was not mentioned on any booking sites.The wing undergoing renovations smelt of paint fumes and building dust yet guests were expected to stay in that wing. It advertises "Christmas in July" yet this year the big beautiful Christmas tree, normally in the grand foyer was no where to be seen. As we didnt want to stay in the wing with paint fumes the only available room was a downgrade from what we actually paid for and it gets worse. Basic items in the room like a shower cap and face cloths were missing, items that a guest shouldnt have to ask for. However the saving grace on this weekend hoilday were 2 concierge staff, 2 lovely professional gentlemen, that assisted us as much as they could so our stay was not a complete disaster.

Room Tip: when booking a room confirm that you are getting what you actually pay for.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyRed001
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We have no hesitation in saying welcome back to the Fairmont of old. we have had many stays here over the last 8 years. our most recent stay in June 2011 was fantastic. on arrival we were greeted with a smile and the staff were so proud to be there looking after us. we talked about the new owner and the plans for the future and how the customers always came first.

to renovate you have to make noise and a mess..too bad because the end result will be worth it..

we will always have the Fairmont as our home away from home.

if you are looking for a great place foe a weekend away give the Fairmont a go you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Excellent, very friendly service. Patient, helpful staff everywhere. Great breakfast and service. Lovely gardens and courtyards. Great pool. Thanks to groundsman for jump starting our car when battery flat!

• Stayed July 2011
Orange, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed at the Fairmont for a weekend getaway. Unfortunately my husband forgot it was shcool holidays! Children running around unsupervised and playing in the lifts! Not a great start!! Our first room was not cleaned so we were moved to another - nice not outstanding. The Head Concierge David was fantatic and on the ball and certainly made us feel welcomed. Dinner in the restaurant was another story one of the wait staff should consider changing his career choice - he certainly did not like his job! The food was average and the wine we requested was not available(someone forgot to put the order in) We would consider returning after the renovations are completed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pumpkin20
Townsville, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I just laugh when I saw the most recent review at this 'hotel'. Not because its funny, but because it is so true. My family and I were nearing the end of a 4 weeks road trip and had stayed in some cheap accommodation. Since we were returning home and because it was my daughter's 11th birthday we thought we would stay somewhere a little nicer.

I can tell you the rooms at the cheapest hotel in Dubbo were cleaner and gave better service than the Fairmont.

After checking in, I showed my family to the room. 50 metres down from the reception desk, my wife started having her breathing affected by all the fine dust. Although this does not seriously affect her health, it makes life uncomfortable.

The carpets were extremely dirty, including the elevator, with splash marks on the elevator doors. We had booked a room with a king and two singles. On arriving at the room, we had to queen beds. I was told at reception that we had been 'upgraded'. Perhaps the could be offered rather than assuming you would prefer it, as the two king beds, which were really queen beds did not suit us.

My wife then rang about the dust. She was informed that no construction was occurring in the wing we were staying in so she should be right!!. As a previous reviewer stated, there was fine dust every where. As we had prepaid the accommodation, we could not make a polite exit and go else where.

The staff are not interested in your presence. In fact I found most staff to have a depressing appearance, fail to greet you, and face down to the carpet when walking past.

There is only two good things I can say about this hotel.
1. The male staff member who bought us an iron was polite and cheerful,
2. We only had to stay two nights!

My suggestion is to pick any other hotel in the Blue Mountains, you can't do any worse.

4 Thank travelnutts_qld
SydneyGeoff, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies, we are sorry to hear your stay was not enjoyable and that your expectations were not met during your stay with us recently.

We go to great lengths to ensure that all Public areas throughout the hotel are thoroughly cleaned and dust free on a regular basis so I was concerend to hear your comments about dust build up. Be assured we will be investigating this and take it very seriously.

Our staff' are also very committed to providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere for our Guests at the Resort which I'm dissapointed to hear that did not feel this was the case during your stay.

We appreciate Guests sharing your concerns & will make contact with you to discuss these concerns in more detail.

Regards,

Geoffrey R York

General Manager, Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!