“Very Overpriced and Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leura
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Very Overpriced and Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

I recently stayed at the Fairmont and was guided by its website into making my decision. I liked the historical aspect of the hotel and the location looked incredible. The photos and description of the resort gave a very favourable impression and I took the 'four star self rating' from Wotif to be an accurate guide to the resort.

There were two positives from this experience. Firstly the foyer and bar are beautiful and a lovely place to sit and relax with a drink. Secondly the staff were all very friendly, professional and helpful.

There were however, far too many negatives and I will not be returning to the Fairmont.
Firstly I paid for a superior room and at a premium rate of $300 for one night. This rate is comparable to what you pay for five star hotels in Sydney city which are brand new and in perfect order. Naturally, this is what I expected from the Fairmont and it did not deliver.

The main problems were:
1) I was told I would have a king bed but instead was given two single mattresses zipped together. I have experienced this cost-cutting exercise in budget motel chains, I do not expect it in a four star resort. It's cheap and nasty. As a hotel you are providing accommodation. A major component of that accomodation is the bed. Get it right and provide for your guests to have a proper bed. Especially if you plan on charging luxury hotel prices.
2) There was no quilt/doona - just cheap see-through acrylic blankets. Seriously Fairmont - it's winter in the blue mountains, again, like the bed, cough up and buy your guests appropriate bedding!
3) The air-conditioning did not work properly. I had a big heavy winter coat on inside and this is unacceptable. At that price for a luxury room the air-conditioning should be able to make the room whatever temperature I need it to be. It was functional - but at 4 degrees outside I needed it to work perfectly and especially with the lack of appropriate blankets for the bed this was an issue.
4) Quite a few times we phoned the reception, concierge and maintenance for assistance and the phone was very rarely answered. I appreciate the staff are busy, but really - in a top hotel if you phone the concierge you expect them to pick up the phone and assist you, you shouldn't have to phone 5 times to get the phone answered.

Overall the stay was still enjoyable because of the location and general feel of the place. I understand that it has had a bad trot with other management and as it is an older hotel things like the air-conditioning will be older than brand new resorts. This however brings me back to the price. If you can not provide the same facilities as a top hotel because you are trying to get back on your feet as a resort, then don't charge the same prices as a top hotel.

I feel it was a major rip off - I think it is worth maybe $200 at an absolute maximum and certainly does not deserve a four star rating. I would rate it at 3 and a half and drop the price to something appropriate so that guests are not disappointed as I was and can make an informed decision about whether or not to stay there instead of being misled by a glamorous website.

The place either needs to raise their standards or drop their price. It's very hypocritical to make cost cutting exercises like buying the cheapest beds on the market and no warm bedding then taking premium amounts of cash from your guests.

I hope it can improve as it has all the potential in the world.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Disappointed3456
SydneyGeoff, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and please accept my apologies for the disappointment with your stay.
We are in the midst of a refurbishment and improvement program that includes a new guest room experience with updated furniture, bedding, linen,duvets,and also a new look in our public areas. These are well underway and expected to be shortly completed.
We are confident that should you stay again post our refurbishment you would have a very enjoyable stay.
We will make contact with you offline to discuss this further.

Geoffrey R York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

Had a weekend at the Fairmont and didnt really know what to expect. It was worth going to and I know it has room for improvement. For the price of $149 for a family of 4 [with breakfast] It represents great value.
Our check-in didnt really get off to a good start sadly as we were given access keys to our room that STILL had people and their possessions in it!!!!!! After our long stroll back to reception we were re-allocated to another room. Even though it wasnt as modern as our original room it was still clean and spacious enough.
No big complaints with the room. Only issue was with lack of exhaust fans in bathroom.
The Buffet Dinner and breakfast represented good value. The $59 per head for Dinner [Kids eat free] had a decent assortment of food. The valley views from there were stunning! The great heated indoor pool and gym was a treat for the kids.
I will go back with my Family and I know the Hotel will be even better. The staff, even though they seem understaffed are very warm and professional. Had a good weekend with friends there

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

For a hotel that is undergoing a large transition to a true luxury resort, this property is doing a great job. Sure, there are teething problems as new team members get accustomed to the new management, systems etc however overall a pleasurable experience and a rare opportunity to enjoy this prime real estate in peak periods at an affordable price. I fear that in 12 - 18 months time it will be a different story.

We stayed on the long weekend and breakfast was under extreme pressure but the team did a remarkable job to ensure that all food was kept topped up and tables were cleared in a timely manner. The quality and presentation of the food on the buffet was impeccable and held well throughout the morning, overall well worth the price to start your day.

Make sure that you book a table for dinner in the al a carte restaurant as they book out quickly on weekends, the alternative is the Golf Club across the way that is great for families like us as the kids can draw pictures on the table coverings with crayons etc to keep them busy during the wait but not the most romantic venue for couples. The food was limited but honest, cheap and tasty.

The rooms are basic but large & warm. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

All in all I would recommend that you take the opportunity to enjoy the mountains and stay in this resort whilst it is still affordable. Come with an open mind and enjoy the property for what it is, was and is going to be. If you want Luxury pay the extra $200 per night and stay at Lilianfels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SM_McKinnon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed here a year ago and it was dreadful. What a difference a year makes. Have been back twice in the last few months. This hotel is now being managed by Accor Hotels and everything about the hotel is on the improve. The rooms are being refurbished and the surrounds upgraded, but the highlight has to be the food at the Eucalypt restaurant. Will be back again (this time with the golf clubs!)

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors for a great view
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SydneyGeoff, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear Hitchinlad, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We very much appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually evaluate and improve our service and facilities.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I will be sure to pass on your outstanding review of our Eucalypt restaurant to the team there.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the future.

Hunter Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Tired & in need of a good clean. Lots of kids & as much as I love kids this is not the place for couples wanting to get away for a classy, peaceful weekend. Wotif states "Complimentary Parking" - if you are lucky. Cheap is the word I would use to sum up in one word, although it wasn't cheap.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CharlieDylan
Dear "Charlie Dylan", thank you for your review and the feedback was appreciated. Please accept our apologises that your stay was not to expectation. The resort is in the midst of a refurbishment program that includes all guest rooms, public areas and banquet rooms. This is well underway and will be completed shortly in the coming months.
Parking is indeed complimentary as are all of our leisure facilities- squash & tennis courts, gym and indoor heated pool, merry go round, movie room and billards room. These are one of the reasons the resort is popular with families.
Hopefully you may decide to stay again outside of school holidays as we are sure you would not be disappointed.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

We flew up for a long weekend from Melbourne. I had read the reviews and was a bit unsure as to what to expect. Overall the hotel is a bit tired - the hot pink and grey lifts are a prime example. But our room (Superior - Jenolan wing) was very nice with great views and lots of space. The bathroom was also very nice although it could do with an exhaust fan! Bed was quite uncomfortable - two singles pushed together and obviously quite old mattresses - my back is still recovering!

We had a few concerns with Reception - my husband booked a massage and was told he would be called to confirm it. When he hadn't heard 3 hours later he followed up only to be told (rather impatiently) that he would be called if there was a problem but to assume all was ok if he didn't hear. When he turned up for his massage the next morning there was no masseuse in sight and it had been forgotten. When he complained to (different) reception staff it was rectified quite quickly though.

The renovations were also a little intrusive - power-saws going below our bed meant there was no chance for an afternoon nap - even on Saturday and Sunday. But I suppose this cant be helped although it would probably be best to limit it to weekdays as the main impact on guests would occur on the weekends.

We were also a little bemused by the staff in Jamisons - the buffet breakfast restaurant. Some days were better than others in terms of food being replenished and other than on Sunday they seemed a little understaffed. Many tables were left with dirty dishes for the whole morning which limited your choice of tables (unless you were happy to clear them yourself). Also, when I asked questions of staff a few times - i.e. "will there be any more scrambled eggs" they seemed to feel harassed and defensive. We had one amusing incident where one staff member made a fairly lewd comment to my husband (which we laughed about but others might not appreciate).

In saying all that, the views are magnificent and the hotel is very nicely designed - a very European style. I would like to revisit once the renovations are complete. It is quite good value for money - we paid $249 per night for a superior room with breakfast for two included - and Leura is a beautiful town. Visit Silks restaurant for a truly special night out.

I think the hotel would benefit from increased staffing and perhaps some training in professionalism in service - the feel is overall a bit unprofessional or ambivalent. But for the money it was a nice weekend away and I think in another 6 months or so it would be one to recommend. Other bonuses are the free ample parking and indoor heated pool and the lovely fireplace in the bar.

Room Tip: Superior room - Jenolan wing
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SydneyGeoff, General Manager at Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear "Kate 5516", thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback which is appreciated as it allows us to continually review and improve our service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issue with the massage booking and your experience with breakfast. These are being reviewed further and please be assured I have discussed these at length with the relevant departments in order to avoid occurrences in the future. Our refurbishment program concludes in the coming months and our staff training programes are ongoing to ensure we provide excellent service at all times.

Bristol, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

This was not my first stay at the Fairmont but this time I stayed as part of the OnTrack Weight Loss program which operates out of the hotel. I had such an amazing time – rooms were spacious, staff were lovely (both at the hotel and especially at the OnTrack weight loss program). Facilities were superb for such a program, pool was fantastic, nicely heated too. I lost loads of weight and feel so healthy – my partner almost didn’t recognise me when I got home!

Food on the OnTrack program was great but a bit of a change from my normal diet (but then again it needed to be - thats why I was there) and it was fresh, well cooked and varied. The hotel kitchen did deliver dinner late a few times but it was always worth waiting for and the OnTrack staff kept us amused.

My only negative was the hotel was under renovation whilst I was there but the OnTrack staff (who are owned and operated separately from the hotel) made sure it didn’t inconvenience the program at all.

All in all a life changing experience with OnTrack, and a really comfortable stay at the Fairmont. I’d definitely go back either for the OnTrack program or for a weekend at the Fairmont.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JUDITHbristol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!