“Classy and a good menu”
Review of Alexandra Hotel

Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #10 of 42 Restaurants in Leura
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We enjoyed dinner at the pub. Very classy, quiet and good for conversation, good service and an interesting variety of food. It was also close to where we were staying.

1  Thank Planner55

Reviewed July 26, 2013

There's nothing wrong with the Alex.

Everyone loves a pub meal, especially after a drink with "the boys" (or the girls). The nature of social occasions .involve a degree of "bonhomie" which doesn't involve unnecessary fault finding or "nit picking" with the focus of the evening being more on the "coming together" than the food, which generally fulfils a practical need, hopefully at a practical cost.

The problem is when places like the Alex become popular - the prices go up and the food and service don't necessarily go down, they just are just no longer appropriate for the tariff.

The fish and chips are great (but at $21.95?), is a pub hamburger really worth $20.00, and a plate of microwaved lasagne with chips not cooked properly worth $19.95? These are the lower priced components of the menu. I could go on.

It's also a fact that when one pays more one expects more. The staff are normally very hospitable but I struck a new member who had clearly no aptitude and twice reminded me and others with me that maybe the reason for the wait was that others had placed orders before us! This was in circumstances where we had ordered very simple meals 45 minutes before. I wondered what training she'd had.

Being a weekend local, I've visited this place a lot. Mainly its okay, however you wouldn't be entirely surprised to wait for a long time and then to have a meal put in front of you that was either cold, not properly cooked (e.g. French fries with chewy centres) or not particularly tasty.

There are much, much better places around in the upper mountains if you want to spend this sort of money.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The pub is a nice place to eat, with open fires lovely in winter, and the service was friendly. But the food was a let down. The lasagne was bland and cold in parts, and the kids weren't happy with their meals. My wife however did enjoy her lamb shank, so perhaps the food is a bit hit and miss.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

On arrival we were told to sit anywhere we liked in the mostly empty dining room. Shortly after our orders were taken a number of casually dressed people began re-arranging the entire dining room layout all around us, dragging tables and chairs noisily. When I eventually stopped one of the staff to complain about the commotion I was told unapologetic-ally that they had to rearrange the furniture for a large function on Saturday (4 days away). I was told they would pause there activities whilst our meals were served, but it then felt like they were waiting for us to leave. We didn't stay for dessert or coffee, by that time we were keen to leave as well.

This very unpleasant experience could have been avoided by informing us of their intentions prior to us sitting down or directing us to the adjacent part of the dining area, or better still they could have re-arranged their dining area at some other time than whilst guests were present for lunch!

In addition to these issues, our waiter lacked a welcoming response and seemed rather cool. He was tardy with delivering the food order (there were only a handful of customers yet the kitchen had to ring the bell twice, several minutes apart to indicate our entree was ready to be served).

Such blatant disregard or lack of consideration for their customers amazed me and means that despite various other qualities that the venue offers, I would not risk going back there again.

2  Thank Kelly G
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Good thing about hotel is table service and obliging service staff. Meals came quickly but were disappointing - steak was not cooked to rare as requested but came out med rare to med and pepper sauce was not at all appealing. Pan fried fish was delicious though very heavy on butter. Coffees were very good indeed and overall pleasant room and staff but food needs to improve!