“Wouldn't dine there again”

Eucalypt Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 42 Restaurants in Leura
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our dining philosophy is to use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on using regional produce to create a warm, comforting menu in an intimate dining surrounds. There is an emphasis on texture and balance of flavours with Modern Australian cuisine paired with an extensive wine list.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The casual dining has more ambience. The food was nice but the service was average. asking twice for a dessert menu and having our red wine dripped all over the table is not fine dining. The staff gave us the wrong bill and made us feel like we were inconveniencing them (which was funny given we ended up paying more for our honesty).

There are newer reviews for Eucalypt Restaurant

Reviewed June 15, 2013

High quality food and menu choices - the restaurant atmosphere could improve but the quality of the plates as presented was excellent.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at Fairmont for my birthday and decided to have dinner in. We had dinner here and found the food were quite good and the service efficient. We went with a main each with a side salad. The salad of radicchio and fresh berries was interesting and tasted quite nice and refreshing. We then had the dessert share platter which was HUGE !! It's a bit of everything from their desserts menu and cheese as well. A real value for money and looked awesome ! I was very impressed and they put a special birthday message on the plate which was a nice touch for us. A nice, dependable restaurant if you don't want to go outside the hotel for dinner.

1  Thank Yas8oz
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We ate here Saturday night as guests staying at the Fairmont and were the only diners from 1900-2030hrs. Service was great not surprisingly, food very good if a little expensive.

2  Thank Jeremy928
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Sub-standard and overpriced food, in a venue that looks like a gutted office block floor, that was turned into a restaurant as an afterthought.
White Linen on the tables but walls of glass windows, with little to look at made for an unwelcoming atmosphere.

My wife and I ate here and were not at all impressed. I expect to be treated to something a bit special when I go to a restaurant charging the sort of prices that are asked for here. This restaurant has prices for its 'fine-dining' experience, similar to what one would expect in an up-market capital city restaurant.

Unfortunately, our experience was not commensurate with the cost. My wife's sparkling wine was served flat, and subsequently changed. Her entrée of ‘cucumber, lychee, avocado, herb and haloumi cannelloni, with a watermelon consommé’ despite looking and sounding to me like a disparate concoction, was deemed good.

Not so my entrée. It was ‘Baccala with whipped potatoes’ and it was so salty that I considered sending it back. I didn't because had no wish to cause a further fuss, after the flat wine fiasco.
For the unacquainted, baccala is dried, salt preserved cod and it needs to be rehydrated before consumption. This is done simply by soaking and rinsing many times in fresh water, which also removes the preserving salt. What you are hopefully left with, is a gorgeous product that is totally unlike the fish that it once was; pleasantly salty but not overwhelmingly so. I can only surmise that my baccala did not have had the care that it deserves, or a tasting before its presentation.

Our mains were the Blue eye cod offering, with baby clams, wilted spinach, fondant potatoes, a white anchovy fritter and a rouille. Now everybody knows that ‘rouille’ is a French word that translates as ‘rust’ and whilst my serving of rouille was good and not at all rusty, the overpowering taste of the dish may have been. Consistency was there however, because the white anchovy fritter, which looked like the scat of a small carnivore, had a taste approximating what I might imagine would not be inconsistent with its looks. Overall, this dish was not inedible, but far from pleasant.

It would appear that the chef here is trying too hard and has lost the plot. Strange combinations are a real pleasure when they work and a total disaster when they don’t. Maybe sticking to tried and trusted combinations along with a serious look at the pricing would yield better results.

We declined the offer of desserts and left with the realisation that the only fine-dining we had here, was a fine-example of a less than mediocre-dining.

3  Thank TuckerFiend