“The rudest customer service I've experienced in Australia”

Leura Gourmet Cafe &Deli
Ranked #8 of 42 Restaurants in Leura
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

To be fair this place looks gorgeous and has a fantastic view. The food also looks good, but we wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it, because after being treated in the most obnoxiously rude manner I gave ever experienced in Australia I made the call that our party of three adults and four children would leave and spend our money elsewhere. I don't pay to be humiliated. Perhaps we breached some kind of etiquette but from the moment we arrived our waitress was sharp, humourless and put out. She did help to pull to tables together, but clearly this was a major inconvenience as she was so irritated she hit the table of a neighbouring diner with one of the chairs and did not apologise to him. When pulling the tables together she was startlingly obviously irritated by our children. I would point out that this was on a Wednesday mid winter and the dining room was half empty. It's quite hard to express this in writing but we were made to feel so unwelcome I decided that it would be better just to go. I was actually scared of the waitress and did not confront her directly when she asked " are you leaving? Nothing appeal on the menu?" I did suggest to another member of staff that they would be best to put up a sign to indicate that children aren't welcome and that this was the worst service I've experienced. I heard that people come to this place from Sydney to buy their produce. We went across the road to the warm and welcoming Red Door Cafe and had a much better experience. Maybe the waitress just didn't like children. But I would really expect a lot more out of a place marketing itself as sophisticated. You can't expect people to pay to be scared!

3  Thank bartyjy

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I ordered the vegetarian breakfast menu and after reading all the good reviews, imagine to my horror when they placed a plate of lumpy blanched spinach, half cooked button mushrooms, 2 prices of grilled tomatoes, some leafy salad and 2 'hard boiled eggs' instead of poached! Such a simple dish gone horribly wrong! I am surprised the chef allowed such a dish to leave his kitchen... We also had to wait so long for our coffee but the waitress did apologise...

1  Thank durga v
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Been here several times and always enjoy the food and great staff, home cooked delicacies, great coffee and hot chocolate and yummy treats for later. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We found the view lovely and did not mind the wait to be seated, service was good and food was delicious, sadly when we came to the cashier she was so rude, I was shocked and humiliated. I would never go back!

1  Thank Carla G
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Get a table by the window and enjoy the view. We had the pumpkin soup (too salty) and the duck sausage with orange & pistachio (delicious). The choc fudge ice-cream was to die for!
They have a takeaway counter (salad, lasagna, etc) impressive, if slightly pricey selection of honey, jams, etc on sale.