“Fantastic food, service a bit lacking”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Door Cafe

Red Door Cafe
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Leura
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, service a bit lacking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had lunch at the Red Door Cafe. We decided on this place because we are pescetarians and their menu had about five dishes we could order, unlike many other places in Leura where the only option was a veggie burger or a sandwich (just a bit boring).

The place was about 80% full when we arrived, so we expected a bit of a wait for food. However several of the tables were vacated not long after we arrived, meaning the place was only about 60% full.

I note another reviewer has mentioned that the wait staff were 'distracted'. That was our experience too. There seemed to be quite a few locals dining in, whom the staff knew. They received friendly and prompt service. We tourists didn't seem to fare as well. We ordered our meals, requesting water. Water did not come. We thought perhaps it would come with our food, however the new customers at the table next to us were promptly given a bottle of water and two glasses immediately upon sitting down. I decided to help myself to the one remaining bottle on the counter, and the the one remaining glass - which my partner and I had to share.

We waited more than 20 minutes for our meals which were salads. I'm not sure whether they forgot our order. The food was worth the wait though - we had two of the best salads of our lives. I had the pearl couscous with seared salmon, fennel and orange, which had a white balsamic dressing. It was absolutely sensational. My partner had the roast pumpkin, chickpea and dukkah salad which was also incredible.

The staff spent a lot of time chatting to each other behind the counter and in the kitchen area. It's not that they weren't working, they just didn't seem interested in engaging with anybody who wasn't a local. We got the bare minimum of notice/communication. This spoiled an otherwise good experience.

The food however is definitely worth a visit, and much better value than some of the other places in town.

• Visited October 2012

Sydney, Australia
“Service could be better but food tasty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Food was tasty - soup appeared home made and my husband's salad was one of the best of the holiday. The Chai tea was not as good as others we have tried but after a morning of walking did the job. What took the edge off the experience was the less than friendly service. It was not that busy but the staff seemed distracted and distant. Overall, not a bad place to have lunch or a quick break but other places in the area will make you feel more welcome.

• Visited September 2012
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed my bowl of coffee, I thought the dog biscuits were a cute addition, the staff were friendly, the decor interesting and fun and the food was good value with good sized servings.
We would definitely come back here

Sydney, Australia
“excellent food at cafe prices, focus on local produce, and the locals love it so that's a good sign”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

ate here three times recently, twice on a weekend with my partner and once on a weekend with friends. Very good quality food, well priced, toasty warm space with some local art on the walls, and always packed with locals. bangers and mash is 3 generous real butcher-made snags on a very buttery mash bed. A delightful little spot and the best we found in leura.

Hobart, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude Service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I went to Red Door Cafe with my family after visiting the Blue Mountains. The cafe was relatively busy as it was around lunch time so some of us sat at the window bar and others at a table. I accidentally knocked the off the sugar off the bar and it smashed and spilled. I was super apologetic and embarrassed but was genuinely sorry when i approached one of the staff. I was responded with a blunt and angry "well that's very annoying isn't it" and stormed off to get a broom. Needless to say the rest of the experience was increasingly worst as the staff mad it extremely obvious they did not want us there. As a final punishment to me from the staff they put a large wedge of rotten, mouldy tomato in my side salad. To sum up the experience. Worst lunch of my life. I left wanting to cry. Would not recommend this cafe to anyone!

• Visited August 2012