“Will definitely stay here again”

Kempsey Powerhouse Motel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kempsey
Wollongong, Australia
“Will definitely stay here again”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed here for one night on the way back from Surfers Paradise. We were made very welcome at the front desk. The owners chatted with my girls. And I was asked if I was an NRMA member - which saved me $10. The room was much better decorated than the last motel we stayed at in Kempsey. And it was spotlessly clean (I even did a Hotel Inspector and checked some obscure places). There was free wi-fi but I forgot the ask for the code. I was thinking the room was rather noisy with trucks on the highway, but then I realized the glass sliding door was open. Once closed it was very much a faint background noise and did not disturb our sleep at all. We bought our own pizza in to eat for dinner but would have ordered in if we'd known what a great selection they had (we're vegetarian) and breakfast sounded good value too (but we left before 7am). My girls picked out some DVD's to watch (for free). We will definitely stay here again. I was nervous after reading the mixed reviews but since it was rated no.1 in Kempsey we decided we'd try it. So glad we did. We just can't fault it, except it took quite a while for the hot water in the shower to heat up :-).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed December 20, 2010

my partner just being engaged stayed here in the spa suit and it was amazing the room was situated down the back near the pool as it was on the highway like most motels the room had a spacious bed room and the decore was beautiful there were huge sliding mirror doors seperating the bathroom and the bathroom was equally as big the fridge was stocked and we even got a 10% discount for our engagement and the meals were fantastic and room service was promt g would recomend this stay to anyone near or far. 10\10#

• Stayed December 2010
Tamworth
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed at this motel through work. It was the worst experience I have ever had. I had a spa room, with a queen bed. The spa was full of spiders and when I filled it up spiders came out of the spa jets, obviously not used for a long time. There wasn't any milk in the fridge to make coffee and when I rang and asked they said they would send some up but never did. The worst part was when I went to get into bed and found rodent droppings under the pillow. I stripped the bed and then moved it to look for the rodent and under the bed I found mouldy and rotting food and a moldy cigarette. The bathroom windows would not shut and being right on the highway I couldn't get any sleep. Would never go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
8 Thank Lochness69
Gold Coast
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have stayed at the Powerhouse Motel arounf 8-10 times in the last few years while travelling between Sydney and Brisbane on business. I have always made sure I plan my trip for a stopover at the Powerhouse due to the welcome I recieved from the owners Bev and Neil.
The tooms were always clean and tidy, the meals have always benn awesome and the pesonal sevice from the owners has always been a delight - you're always treated like an old friend and nothing is too much trouble.
Bev told me a few months ago they were selling and I wondered if things might change with new owners in place.
To my amazement, the new owners are every bit as engaging and hospitable, perhaps even more so!!. Every request is met with a smile, nothing is too much trouble, the food is just as good and they love to have a chat and swap stories over a cold drink at the bar.
This one stays on my list of "must stay" motels whenever I'm in the area

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Melourne
Reviewed July 4, 2010

HIghly recomended for a night or for a week. Great friendly hosts who just made the stay all that more enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed July 3, 2010

A big thank you to the owners of Kempsey Powerhouse who took in my family as a late night booking and went out of their way for a whole weekend to ensure we had the best service. Meals were made to order, the rooms were spacious, clean and well presented and the owners were a great source of local information for things to do.
I think you would be hard pressed to get anything better anywhere near the area and completly recommend it. We have been been back a second time since and it was just as good if not a bit better as they remembered us and made us feel at very welcome.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My wife and I travel regularly from Melbourne to Brisbane to see family and friends we choose this route because of the scenery and the fact that we both love to fish we stop at various places along the way to dangle a line.
Our favourite place to stop is the Kempsey Powerhouse Motel both coming and going, we are always greeted with a warm welcome from Bev and Neil and after unpacking and having a hearty meal sit and chat with Bev and Neil for hours during and after closure, we have become friends with their family and often their kids pop in and visit us when in Melbourne, Bev and Neil have pointed out various places of interest in and around the surrounding area, the local music is top class, it will be an added bonus when they complete the Slim Dusty museum.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple