“Very poor indeed”

Ranked #8 of 91 Restaurants in Katoomba
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Quality traditional french cuisine reasonably priced, wonderful location and ambiance with spectacular views of the jamison valley. Bar, extensive reasonably priced wine list, outside dining, beautifully restored edwardian building built 1895 guest house with four luxury guestrooms, specials of the week. Open every day for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner except Wednesday and Thursday Musicians play every night and Lunch on Sunday
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Very poor indeed”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family and I went to this restaurant whilst staying in Katoomba a few months ago after reading good reviews on another website. To start with we were greeted rather aggressively by the Maitre D' who was very overbearing and strange. He treated the two eighteen year-old daughters more like ten year-olds, assuming they wouldn't eat greens, drink anything but soda or like any of the seafood dishes.
The meals were bland and boring, except for the onion soup which was delicious.
A "French Salad" that cost something like 15 dollars was nothing more than pre-washed leaves in some olive oil. Not something worth travelling for. We were so disappointed by the meals we didn't consider the dessert.
The decor was stuffy and old-fashioned, but that was the style they wanted so can't really fault it. The service was slow but at the same time strangely intrusive.
Usually it isn't about the restaurant, it's about the people you go with, but for this kind of price and reputation to be left feeling disappointed and ripped off is not a good thing.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Lillian G

sydney NSW
“What a treat!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were in the Katoomba area for a meeting and were invited to join others who had been to the restaurant previously.

It was a bitterly cold night but the decor and warmth of the restaurant made you forget that immediately.

The classic French fare was excellent.the service was attentive but not too obvious.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank grestymosman
Sydney, Australia
“Charming, cosy restaurant, but on the pricey side”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This restaurant serves a classic French menu, with onion soup and cheese soufflé on the entrée menu and duck as one of the mains. Between us, we tried all of these, as well as the rack of lamb and were well satisfied. Serving sizes were adequate. A plus is that you can bring your own wine, although the corkage is steep, at $6/head. At $72/head for two courses, this is a somewhat pricey establishment. As for ambience, we were seated in the small front room where there are four or five tables, making for a cosy experience. However, the service was somewhat chaotic, with several waiters appearing at different times, which was not helpful to continuity of service. Overall, though, it was a good night out and worth a visit for a more elegant meal than one might generally find in the nearby Katoomba main street.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Linda P
Wentworth Falls, Australia
“Very, very nice!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Classic French cuisine - very well executed. Great friendly, helpful staff. Very enjoyable lunch. The ambience of the place was absolutely charming.

Tamborine Mountain, Australia
“One of my most memorable meals.”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I read some trip advisor reviews of this restaurant after I had booked and was nearly going to call and cancel the booking.
I am so pleased I didn't.
I realise we all have different expectations, but I could not fault the place.
I have travelled the entire world many times over many years and had a lot of wondeful dining experiences, and I have to add The Rooster to my top list.
Firstly the building. It is old, quaint and very well presented. The restaurant covers several rooms of the old house. Beautiful ceilings, lovely fittings, a large warm fire blazing. Tables with crisp white linen, large comfy dining chairs.
It was a quiet night, only three or four tables. The waiter was certainly amongst the most professional I have ever come across. He knew the menu backwards, had a perfect, unobtrusive approach, yet was friendly and helpful. He reminded me of the best of european waiters.
The wine list was very varied and comprehensive and the waiter assisted us to find the perfect accompaniment to our meal.
The menu was very good, not huge, but adequate. Prices are reasonable around the $80 mark per person for three courses, excluding wine. Our meal was worth every cent.
Escargot were excellent, as were the sheeps kidneys for entree. Just wonderful. The duck and the ox cheek for mains were large meals that we could not find any fault with.
Desserts and cheese platter were wonderful.
The whole evening was very special, and I hope that everyone who reads this and goes to The Rooster has a similar experience, because I can honestly say, this is amongst the top dining experiences in my life.

Visited June 2013