“Special”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rooster

The Rooster
Ranked #10 of 91 Restaurants in Katoomba
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Quality traditional french cuisine reasonably priced, wonderful location and ambiance with spectacular views of the jamison valley. Bar, extensive reasonably priced wine list, byo wine outside dining, beautifully restored edwardian building built 1895 guest house with four luxury guestrooms, dessert of the week. Musicians play 6 nights per week and on long weekends
Wollongong
“Special”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Barry meets you at the door and attends to you like an old friend. The setting is charming and the French food is delectable!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jennie W

Queensland
“Nice restaurant but overpriced”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We dined at the Rooster over the Easter weekend. The building is set in a quiet suburban street with a nice atmosphere. Tables are scattered through different rooms of the house which is old and full of character. Our reception was warm and welcoming though once the menu was presented, no one came near us to take our drink or meal order for quite some time. Finally gaining the attention of the waiter, our order was taken and the service picked up. The restaurant was not overly busy at this point.

The food was ok, though I can honestly say that for the money I would have expected a more interesting meal. I had the duck in orange sauce - duck was moist and crisp but was drowned in the sauce. The vegetables were served in a shared plate which was only very small. I had the roulade for dessert which I felt was quite disappointing - being just egg whites with the occasional berry scattered through it. Not particularly imaginative.

The dining experience was somewhat disappointing given the expense. The 'silver service' was wanting. I felt this is more like home-cooked cuisine with a high price tag.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank cruizin42
Sydney, Australia
“Terrible meal”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I'm big on French food and I have been to many good and not so good French restaurants. Unfortunately, Rooster turned out to be the latter. I ordered a duck dish which was not even near what it was supposed to be. It was tough and I had to fight it. How can a renowned French restaurant staff up their signature dish?! I didn't want to make a fuss about it because I was there with a group of friends to celebrate the New Years Eve. I did mention it to a waiter. The only response I got was that he would pass it to the chief. And that was it. A mango desert was pretty average. The best was bread, but that cannot justify the price we paid. The night before my partner and I had a meal on the main street in a restaurant opposite the grand hotel for half the price and enjoyed it twice as much. The bottom line is avoid Rooster and choose another restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
Maitland
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We dined at The Roooster on Saturday 9th March. Met at the door by very pleasant waiter but down hill from there. I think one of the problems was only having 2 waiters working on the night.
Lol I am still waiting for my black pepper for my main and the dessert menu. I ordered the beef cheeks which wrere very tough abd flavourless !!!! My husband had the duck which was average. We left after we had waited 35minutes for the dessert menu
I know staff overworked but just not good enough. All in all very disappointing. Just reading other reviews obviously not a consistent venue!!!!

• Visited March 2013
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Great food, wonderful wine list”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you're lucky you'll meet Barrie, the knowledgable and friendly waiter who took great care of us. Duck a l'orange and seafood cassoulet were delicious, as was the bottle of Carillion SauvBlanc. Prix fixe meal ($72 two courses) arrived with escargots and a delicious goat cheese tartlet. Crusty loaf of hot bread (to soak up the garlic butter from the snails, of course) and a view of the sunset over the Blue Mountains. Incredible.

Visited February 2013