“vomit and explosive diarrhea for 2 days after roast chicken sandwich at Savoy”

Savoy Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 92 Restaurants in Katoomba
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was debating about writing this review because our experience was so horrible that it is even unpleasant to write about it. My friend was visiting me from overseas for 6 days in early October and we rented a car and planned a road trip around NSW. We started in Katoomba and on the second day had breakfast at the Savoy restaurant. My friend ordered the roast chicken avocado sandwich and I had an egg dish. Luckily for me, I was not in the mood to try my friend's sandwich when he offered me a bite. The chicken sandwich at Savoy was the only food that my friend consumed, since his arrival, which I did not try.

By the afternoon my friend's stomach was grumbling and upset so we decided that we would return to Sydney for the evening and would drive to Hunter Valley in the morning. By the time we got to Sydney, my friend was vomiting and had explosive diarrhea. It was awful. When we woke up in the morning and my friend's vomiting and diarrhea continued, I called the restaurant. I asked to speak to the manager but the manager was not available until the next day.

I explained the situation to the lady who answered the phone and she handed the phone to a guy who did not identify himself (I assume this was the cook.) This guy was very defensive and said, "The roast chicken was made 3 days ago and that is not long enough for it to go bad." I didn't have the strength to teach him the lesson on the length of bacterial replication cycle, which he missed in his proper handling of food courses. I just told him that my friend had been on the toilet and vomiting for the second day and our vacation was ruined and that I did not want this to happen to anyone else. I asked this guy to throw out the chicken. The guy finally apologized and I hung up the phone believing that the chicken would be thrown out.

As terrible as this review is, I felt a responsibility to share our experience because the incident and my subsequent interaction with the cook(?) showed me that this restaurant has no understanding of proper food handling and hygiene. I hope my review prevents others from a ruined holiday and encourages the Savoy owners to make some major changes.

7  Thank m19782013

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Great food and staff, I came here with my sons and daughter after driving for 4 hours. kids in a car for four hours is hell and especially when you wake them up, food was huge! steak was amazing, kids shnitzel with chips and salad, a sort of Mexican pizza and kids fish and chips, awesome, kids were happy, the waiter bought them over pencils and paper, and my beer! we were happy as Larry. if you have a family this is the place to come, nice staff, nice food and a good family vibe, i will most certainly be back. p.s my son is obsessed with coins and waiter took one off the wall did a little magic trick for my son before we left, and the chef came out and had a chat, first restaurant i have ever gone to where the staff are human. thanks guys i will be back.

john.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Looked a bit rundown but gave it a go & was pleased we did. We ordered a couple of chicken burgers. They were huge with heaps of chips. Yum. We looked around at other orders and they were also huge. Great value for money would return again. Go there if you're really hungry.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

meals was greasy and and bland. Very basic fast food... wouldnt call it restaurant food. Waiter was sarcastic and patronizing. didnt feel welcome... MOVED A BOOK AND A FAMILY OF MOTHS WERE UNDERNEATH. VERY DIRTY. obviously hadnt been cleaned properly in a long time.

4  Thank B0bla
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I have been going to this cafe/restaurant for many years. In our travels, we are yet to find a chef that will cook a rump steak as perfectly, and as consistently, as the owner of savoy does. We recommend ordering the steak cooked Medium Rare, and you will receive a thick piece of quality rump (carefully sourced), trimmed of all fat, which is tender and just amazing. The only place where I truly enjoy a steak (why bother cooking it at home when you can get it here for $19.90), it never disappoints. If you order medium to well, or well done, you will receive a much thinner cut. The reviewer below only has herself to blame for asking for such a great piece of meat to be overcooked! (boggles the mind) The decor is retro (not ultra slick), but who cares when the food is excellent and affordable. The barramundi dish is also fantastic, with heaps of nutritious Asian greens to really give your system a boost. The waiters can be casual in their approach, but they are certainly not rude. One guy does have a quirky sense of humour, but just run with it--don't take life so seriously (addressed to reviewers below). Other good food choices include the: kangaroo dish, pumpkin/fetta/lentil pie, vegetable lasagne, and gourmet chicken pizza. As Katoomba restaurants go, this one is great value for money, and the food is well-prepared. I would highly recommend ordering the rump steak with mushroom sauce. As with anything, order wisely, and you walk out feeling very satisfied.