“Small bed”

Ranked #8 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Xi'an, China
“Small bed”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Adequate. A beautiful old building but bed was small and creaky. Everything was clean and tidy but certainly nothing special. Breakfast was again just average and we had to eat early as they wanted to finish by 9!!
Great potential but not quite there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a night at this place and it was really cute and nice. It is very clean with an old fashion vintage feel to it all.

The staff were really nice particularly as we didn't realise reception closed early on public holidays. They phoned us to tell us & left a key out for us with clear instructions on how to find our room.

It has nice little communal living areas & is in an ideal location. I plan to stay here for longer next time

• Stayed March 2013
Bondi, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife, myself and my young child have been travelling around Australia for the last few months. On arriving in Katoomba we had a recommendation to stay at the Metropole. The Metropole is a guesthouse in the heart of Katoomba, it has a warm, inviting atmosphere that we really appreciated after a few months travel. The reception staff had good knowledge of the local area and suggested places to go, that we would enjoy, but would also suit our 4 year old. We had dinner one night in the beautiful restaurant on the premises, the food was generous, homestyle and delicous. All the staff from the were extremely helpful, nothing was any trouble for them. If we come back this way again we will certainly stay at the Metropole

Room Tip: Definitely room 4 with the small veranda
1 Thank Doron M
Brighton
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at the Metropole for a few days over New Year with a friend. The hotel was a stone's throw from the station and the town which was beautful. My friend and I did a lot of the walking trails around the Blue Mountains whilst on our stay, and the staff at the hotel gave us several recomendations about where's best to so and site see. The manager was extremely welcoming to my friend and I and saw him often around the hotel, we even had dinner with him one evening!

The hotel was peaceful and I really couldnt recomend it enough to couples or small familys who want to get awa city and experience the blue mountains.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vicky R
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Let me start by saying I love a place with character, and this guest house is lovely in that respect. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful wooden interiors and the furnishings in the generous games room and library areas. Best to bring your own books to the library, unless you enjoy encyclopaedias and condensed Reader Digest editions. But there are plenty of great books available in town (try Mr Pickwicks - downstairs)

The location is excellent for walking around town and traveling by public transport, it's only a 1-2 minute walk from the station and the same to the main street. I had no problem parking my car in the limited car spaces available mid-week.

We booked a special that included dinner and a cooked breakfast, if we stayed again, we would skip the food. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, but the food was nothing special. I'm not super picky about food, but I would like to see something fresh come out of the kitchen. Lots of the food was canned or frozen produce.

When we booked, we knew dinner was included on our first night, but we were not informed of the dining time. I assumed it would be a flexible 6-8pm window, as I've experienced in other guest houses and BnBs. But this was a strict 6.00pm be seated for 6.15pm service. Unfortunately we arrived at 6.10pm, dropped our bags to our room and rushed in to dinner. It was as though we had burst into a strangers house, unannounced and sat down at their dinner table. Everyone stopped talking, dropped their cutlery and stared at us. Clearly there were some regulars and we broke the strict 6.00pm be seated rule. Would have loved to know this beforehand to avoid the awkwardness.

We had a room on the 2nd floor (top level) which overlooked the incredibly gorgeous Kingsford Smith Park. Unfortunately after dark, we could hear yelling and bottles smashing both nights between about 11pm and 2am (not on the weekend, this was Wednesday and Thursday night) We could hear the trains clearly from our room too. The pillows were like phonebooks, I arose with a bad headache on the first day, a migraine on the second.

If you made it to the end of my essay, I'd suggest bringing earplugs, maybe your own pillow, and don't worry about getting the included meals. Management could invest in some new pillows, an overhaul of the kitchen (staff great, food average) and better communication with guests. They can't control the noise, but perhaps some double glazing would help. I think if these details were taken care of, it could be a wonderful place to stay.

Newport
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the Metropole on a perfect weekend in March. We chose this guesthouse on the internet for the chance to stay in an original 1930s setting with original woodwork. The very reasonable price included hearty homecooked breakfasts and 3 course dinners, as well as a bus pass for the duration of our stay. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. On day 2 we left a bag in the dining room at breakfast and didn't realise until we were on a bus tour. We rang the office and the bag which contained both expensive and treasured possessions had already been handed in by the waiter and was safely hidden away when we picked it up in the afternoon. We hope to stay there again next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at The Metropole on a very, very wet weekend. We were almost housebound it was so wet so it was good to have the games room available where we played pool for quite a few hours over our stay of Friday and Saturday nights. We had room 9 on the corner of two streets. There was little traffic noise however the trains on Friday night were quite loud and I eventually drifted off into a sound sleep sometime after midnight and didn't hear anything after that. There were no trains on Saturday night.
We had purchased a voucher which included 2 breakfasts and a 3 course dinner. The food was edible but nothing fancy - just basic home cooking. Kitchen will prepare you a packed lunch if you are going out walking for the day. Consists of a sandwich, a piece of fruit and a juice for $6.50
It was great to have the carpark so close to the back door considering how wet the weather was. Just a quick dash to the car when we did venture out.
The bed, the room and the ensuite were comfortable with ample space and facilities. No cramped knees sitting on the loo like some other review.
TV reception was very poor and the receptionist told us it was like that when fog and wet weather strike. I wonder if a TV room with better reception capabilities might work - there are plenty of lounge areas around the complex where this could be situated.
Overall a nice place to stay for a quiet time away. I'm sure the place would be a real buzz on a Blue Mountains festival weekend when its fully booked.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Gang Gang St so you don't hear the trains so much - maybe something at the ba...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple