“Great breakaway”

The Metropole Guesthouse
Ranked #8 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Me and my husband stayed for 6 nights, end of november, we loved the atmosphere and old world charm, staff were extremely helpful & courteous, guesthouse is located across the road from the rail staton, very convenient we had a package with breakfast & dinner, meals and staff were lovely and accommodating, nothing was too much trouble. Included was a hop on hop off bus ticket, valid for the length of our stay, great way to see the sights not to mention the driver was extremely helpful and knowledgeable of the local area.
Great value, will definitely come back and recommend to others

Room Tip: Uprade rooms are available for and extra charge of $10.00 per night
1  Thank avifanti

Reviewed December 16, 2011

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Anyone who is seeking a friendly, professional, welcoming, clean holiday spot with good food should avoid this place.
My partner and I stayed here for two nights in November 2011 as a weekend getaway. Bad idea.

Firstly, despite most of the motel being empty, we were stuck into a room on ground floor with a view of a brick wall, no natural light and backing onto the kitchen, where we could hear every noise. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night, and were obliged to be seated by 6:15 at the latest, which was only a few hours after we'd had lunch, and were in no mood to eat again. Alas, it was that or nothing. The dinner consisted of tinned vegetable soup microwaved to lukewarm temperature, followed by a defrosted chicken breast with rice and two pieces of pumpkin, and finally, packet-mousse in a dish. My 6 year old niece could have done better, and there were only 8 people eating so it was hardly a matter of time or quantity pressure.

The next day topped it off. I had, by accident, left a light stain on one of the sheets. I felt a little embarrassed about it and expected that maybe we'd get a little surcharge for the extra laundry work to get it out (which would have consisted of a 10 minute soak in Napisan). Instead, when we'd left the hotel for the day, my partner got a call from reception demanding the explanation of the stain. when we arrived home that afternoon, there was a small note on the bed demanding a $10 surcharge. I had expected this and it came as no surprise, though I did think it a little stingy. But then, a knock on our door, and a different receptionist, a man, was demanding that we pay the surcharge before checking out (as was stated on the note). As if that weren't rude enough, when my partner went to reception to pay it, he was chastised and reproached by yet another receptionist about the matter. She said "we should have warned her, the cleaner got quite a shock!".

I was furious. The cleaner was obviously traumatised by the sight of a smear of blood, so he or she had gone to management to complain about it, and they had all sat around discussing the revolting guests in room 3. This made me feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome, not to mention furious that these receptionists had the audacity to hunt my partner down to pay this $10 fee and chastise him about it. Overall, we were made to feel like they were doing us a favour by letting us stay, especially surprising considering how awful the rest of the stay had been. There was no concept of professionalism or discretion. A little surcharge on the bill would have been enough. These people have no idea what the hospitality industry entails.

I wrote a letter which I left at reception, outlining how their actions had made us feel. No response or acknowledgement since then.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I have travelled in 1,2, 3 star accommodation all over the world and have never experienced anything like this before.

Room Tip: Don't.
12  Thank hereandplaces
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My husband and I travelled from Queensland in November 2011 and stayed 7 nights at the Metropole Guesthouse in Katoomba. We took a package deal through Easy Holidays, 5 nights with breakfast and 3 coarse dinner plus 2 nighs accomadation free with no meals. This package also included 7 days free hop on and hop off bus with Blue Mountain Explorer Bus.
The Metropole Guesthouse is an old guest house built in 1930. I loved the place. It was like living in the era of "Gone with the Wind" The furniture, the drapes the beautiful stain glass windows. There are guest libraries and private sitting rooms to enjoy a glass of wine, pool room and games rooms.
The guest rooms are small and consist of a bedroom a TV rooom with with coffee making and a onsuite. These rooms are cleaned and beds changed every day. Rooms have plenty of heating.
The staff are friendly and very helpful. The lady in the front office helped us with any questions we had to ask.
The food was very good. Bacon and egg, hash brown, scrambled eggs,sausage, baked beans, tomato and onion gravy. Juice. Tea or coffee and toast for breakfast.
Three coarse meal for dinner..Creamy asparagus soup, roast lamb, roast potato, roast pumpkin and broccoli with white sauce, pavlova and cream. The only complaint I have about the meals. They fed us too well.
There is also a licenced bar.
I myself had no trouble with train noise, as the Metropole is accross from the Katoomba Railway Station, our room was at the back and from the windows I had a view of the magnicifent Blue Mountains.
The location of the Metropole is perfect as it is walking distance from main street, railway station, bus stops and movie theatre.
My only negative comment would be the stairs, but I was told there is to be a lift installed in December.
I would stay there again, as many of the guests I met during my stay told me they have stayed at "The Metropole" on many occasions, and I suspose that speaks for itself.
Maybe next time I may run into Red Butler and Scarlet O' Hara.

Room Tip: I was on the highest floor with no overhead noise and beautiful views of the blue mountains.
2  Thank Marilyn C
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Me and my husband stayed at the metropole for 3 nights in November. Its a little guesthouse close to the main street and raliway station.
We had a package deal which included dinner and breakfast on some nights. The breakfast was ok but nothing special. Dinner was three courses. The food was actually quite nice. Me and my husband found it a little odd though that our waiter gave us a courses and then procedd to sit down at the table beside us and eat his courses and drink wine as if he was a guest, so we were a bit confused on that. He also made a point of looking down at the other waitress and bark orders at her. Bit sad as she was a lovely young girl . The rooms were nice and clean and the reception lady could not have been nicer. I think this place just needs a bit more managemental skills and a bit of an update.

3  Thank kizza58
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Positives: very close to railway station and main street of Katoomba. Breakfast and dinner OK but nothing to get excited about. You eat what is given, no menu choice, if you arrive late you risk not being fed.
Negatives: Rail noise at night can be an issue even though we were in a room the furthest point fromm the rail line. It is very old, dated, run down and smells of mildew. Poor value for money but that seems to be a pattern throughout Katoomba

Room Tip: Get one on the ground floor so as to avoid the stairs
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dodger52
Reviewed May 31, 2011

In the company of 9 others my husband and I spent a weekend last month at The Metropole. It was a gathering of old friends at a town that was accessible for us coming from the ACT, Sydney and the Southern Highlands.
The Guest House is right opposite the railway station on a corner but the noise wasn't too bad. From the outside it looks pretty run down but inside it is lovely. Furnished with the comfort of a bygone era, lots of nooks and crannies to sit with a book,or otherwise have drinks and chat.
The rooms were comfortable and clean with tasteful furnishings, ensuites, adequate heating and room to move around. The beds were comfortable and the room spotlessly clean. The big down turn is there is no lift. Most of the rooms are on the 1st or 2nd floor. One of our party was on crutches and another had a leg injury and as their rooms were on the 2nd floor, they struggled. We all had to lump our lugage up and down the stairs. Perhaps the fact there is no lift should be pointed out in the brochure.
We were on a weekend dinner, bed and breakfast package and with some coming long distances the inflexibility of having to be seated by 6.00pm for dinner. particularly on Friday night, seems a bit antiquated in this day and age. At least there was a bar with a reasonable drinks and wine list but no BY0 and specialty teas and coffees were extra as well. Also having to be seated by 8.00am for breakfast is infleixible too. The food was ok but there was no choice at both meals, 3 set courses at dinner and cereals and fruit laid out for breakfast but small servings of hot meals with no choice there either. It all felt a bit rushed.
Parking was first in first served on an old parking lot at the back or it was the street.
We had a fun weekend, but if I went back I would eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank gemmabel
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We stayed here for one night and had a package for $220 which included a three course dinner and cooked breakfast. The hotel is in a convinent location at the top of the main street, close to the railway, and it has limited free parking. The interior of the hotel - furnishings and decor is 1930s style. The layout appears to have altered little from when the hotel was built. As such the guest rooms are small and compact, and there are large communal lobbys, library, and games rooms. The hotel is 3 storeys high and there is no lift. If you suffered from mobility issues or had heavy luggage I would recommend requesting a lower or middle floor room. Our room on the third floor was clean, comfortable, but small. For a one night stay it was adequate. The rooms only have ceiling fans. We stayed on quite a hot night and found that the ceiling fan struggled to keep the temperature in the room cool. If booking during summer months again i think i would re consider my stay here due to no proper air conditioning.
The meals are all served in an elegant dining room which only serves meals to guests who book the meal packages. Our three course meal was set and there was no menu choise. The wine list was adequate. Our meal consisted of tomato and kumaru soup, chicken stuffed with spinich and feta, vegetables and rice. Dessert was pavalova and fruit. Breakfast which is served at 8.15am is a buffet continental (no fruit) and a small cooked meal of sausage, poached egg, hash brown, and bacon. The meals while small were good quaility and plainly presented.
Overall we enjoyed the meals and the character of the hotel. We did not have the most comfortable sleep due to the temperature of the room. For a short stay i would recomment this hotel - but not maybe in the hottest months.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple