We stayed at the guest house over the Easter weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay. Evelyn and Ian were wonderful hosts - having assisted us even before our arrival with restaurant recommendations and bookings.
Our room (the Honeysuckle) was located on the ground floor towards the front of the residence. It was a charming, quiet and comfortable room with a four poster bed, and spa in the bathroom. The only drawback was not being able to watch the television anywhere other than from the bed. Other bedrooms have small sitting rooms which, if you want to sit in your room rather than in the communal lounges,might be better suited for this need. We weren't in our room for much as we enjoyed the other areas of the hotel so much.
Breakfast was served from 8am each morning and was very pleasant with every imaginable cereal, tea, breads and condiments offered. No small detail is missed. You can partake of breakfast either in one of the dining areas or take it back to your room. Coming together with other guests provided a nice opportunity to speak with other travellers - with a number of internationals staying at the same time.
The hotel's location is in a quiet suburban street, a few minutes drive from Echo point and within an easy walking distance to several restaurants. We dined at Pins (excellent meal with great service and very reasonable pricing), The Rooster (more expensive and perhaps not quiet as good value for money as Pins) and a local Indian restaurant which wasn't bad. The RSL is just around the block. It was also just a 5 or so minute drive to Leura Falls and to Leura mall. So for us, with a hire car, it was in an ideal position.
Our hosts, Evelyn and Ian were that rare breed - there with advice and assistance, up for chat, and responding to our every need - we had only to ask. We had special dietary requirements which were met and Evelyn even shifted the outdoor furniture for us when we wanted to have a quiet drink in the pretty garden. They were there if you needed them but also allowed guests their privacy if that was their preference.
We couldn't recommend this hotel more highly. It was the perfect venue for a getaway. Coming from Queensland, the climate change was pleasant. We flew to Sydney, then caught the train from the airport with a change at Central then onto Katoomba ($20 ea - 2 hr trip) where we collected a hire car from Hertz (who were also very helpful). Travelling this way we had an enjoyable stress-free ride out of Sydney and avoided the weekend traffic.
If you are thinking about visiting the Blue Mountains, give yourself a treat and enjoy this wonderful historic guest house that comes with old style hospitality.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kurrara Guest House was built in 1902 as one of the first guest houses in Katoomba. In 2012, it was handed over to new owners and has undergone a transformation. Our beautiful Mountains Guest House is centrally heated, and offers 3 spa en suites, with 4-poster beds and period furnishings. 5 Upstairs shower en suites are individually decorated and have been recently refurbished. Our guests enjoy relaxing in our communal lounges around Victorian gas log fires and a large screen TV/DVD & library. Enjoy tea & coffee on arrival, and complimentary Port. We offer a full continental breakfast of homemade muesli, cereals, freshly baked bread, fruit, yogurt, and fresh juice. Free wifi is available in all rooms. Kurrara has its own private carpark and off street parking. Situated on a quiet and peaceful corner, surrounded by rhododendrons and mature trees. We are within walking distance to Katoomba town centre and wonderful restaurants, Echo Point and The Three Sisters and the many bushwalks in the surrounding area. We welcome you to stay with us and become part of an 110 year tradition of visitors to Kurrara. You won't want to leave! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Kurrara Historic Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kurrara Guest House Hotel Katoomba
- Kurrara Historic Guest House Katoomba, Blue Mountains