“Characterless room”

Avonleigh Country House
Ranked #12 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I arrived early (10.30am), as I was visiting the mountains for the Winter Magic festival, and was instantly told I was too early. I asked if I could leave my bag and told the man my name. I wasn't introduced so have no idea who the man was. I was told to leave my bags in the office with the owners son. The man disappeared so we headed off to watch the festival's parade.

I returned at 7.30pm, when the festival had finished, and was 'told off' for checking in late.

My bag had been taken to my room and the heater turned on so it was nice and warm.

First impression was that the room was tired and old. The photos on the website showed that the place was pretty old fashioned but everything about the place was in need of repair or replacement.

When I sat on the bed I almost sunk to the floor! The bathroom was a bit grotty, when I got in the bath I could see a scum mark. I tried to move the TV so I could see it from the bed and the cabinet it was on fell apart.

The TV was about the size of a small laptop and the only channel I could get was SBS2! Not ideal when I had to entertain my 8 year old son until his bedtime. Fortunately the lounge had a large screen TV and a nice log fire. We couldn't find the remote but at least the TV worked and we managed to find a kids film to watch. There was coffee and tea in the lounge but nothing in the bedroom. Not even a glass for water.

The breakfast was nice and had a fairly good choice.

The owner made no effort to chat to us or ask if we had enjoyed our visit.....overall very disappointing.

Room Tip: Choose another guest house.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Halesx68

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have stayed in several B and Bs in the blue Mountains and were disappointed with this one. It looks charming from the outside but lacking on the inside. Smell is an important sense when you walk into somewhere. Scented candles/ oil burners would be an idea. Our room was cold upon arrival and we had to work out how to turn the heater on. The guest lounge room was also cold. It would have been more welcoming if the host had warmed the room before our arrival.Our room was poorly appointed though clean. Only one bedside table. TV was on the bedside table so to watch the news etc, you had to sit on the end of the bed. The lounge was comfortable but you could not see the TV from it! The bathroom had no hanging space for clothes. There was nowhere to put toiletries bag ie no ledge, vanity etc. There was no where to put soap or shampoo in the shower. There was no ventilation so the room steamed up after a shower. Floor of shower was mouldy in edges. Shower hose dripped which may explain mould. We were the only guests that night so at least it was quiet. Only type of egg on offer was scrambled....no poached, fried etc. The host was not rude, but nor was he particularly friendly. Got the impression the hosts had no knowledge of the traditional culture of B and B charm and service. It's the little things that make the difference like a warmed room to make you feel you are expected and welcome. We will not be going back there, especially when there are so many other choices in the Mountains.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mountainvisitor2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Paid 2 nights and had to leave early for an emergency at home. In a way it was a merciful release from the worst (by far) accommodation we've experienced in many stays in the Katoomba area. It was no surprise that the hotel didn't even hint at any consideration. The threat of a $580 charge if you accidentally fall foul of their failure to properly locate smoke sensors is just the beginning. Everything about the place screams "cheap", except the price. The plumbing screams loudest of all. Not only was the common-area TV (the only one bigger than a laptop screen) about 30 years old; they were quite resentful of the idea that they might actually replace the remote that they claim somebody stole. It could be great, given the location, the old house and the garden, but that would require new management and a substantial makeover of just about everything. To be avoided until then...

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ironball
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Forget about a romantic B&B. On the outside it looks promising. Once you walk in the door (at 2pm) you are overwhelmed with the smells of Asian cooking. The room looked OK on the surface but cobwebs around heater indicated less than immaculate cleaning. Notices threatening huge ($300) charges to your credit card if you left the bathroom door open while showering and triggering the fire alrm which is placed in the most ridiculous spot is nothing short of threatening and unwelcoming. Breakfast OK but atmosphere of dining room barren. For a single room at $160 I felt there has to be better value in town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hmc16
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked on line two nights before hand - very easy - they followed up on the arriving evening with helpful instructions for the key location as we arrived late around 10pm. It would have been great to have motion sensor lighting in the driveway toward the veranda as it was dark and difficult to see our way up the steps.

Our room was extremely large and very pleasant. Comfortable bed. Large shower, no bath but very clean and tidy.

Breakfast the following morning was very good and served hot! We only saw one other guest as we were late to rise in the mornings.

The whole place was quiet and charmingly decorated. Tea & Coffee 24/7 available in the lounge which we took back to our room. TV very small but as we were not really interested, this didn't bother us.

The house is conveniently located in Katoomba and close to Leura.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We booked in to stay on the hottest day on record. There was no airconditioning in the room but ,to our surprise,the room(no 7),which was downstairs was pleasantly cool and surrounded by a lovely bushy garden which also helped.
Keeping the bathroom door closed while showering really wasnt a problem.Yes the TV was small but who wants to watch TV anyway when you can walk down to the Three Sisters for the best view of the whole valley or pop into the Chocolate factory/Cafe right next door. Katoomba RSL club was also just up the road from Avonleigh (in same street).
Not suitable for people with mobility issues due to the stairs.
Breakfast was continental and/or a set plate of hot breakfast items: bacon.scrambled eggs,tomato and sausage and different breads to toast in a spacious dining room.
Room was clean and also charming.
Tea/coffee making facilities in communal lounge room as well as cold water dispenser.
We enjoyed our stay and were thoroughly happy with our choice of accommodation! Would stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.Thank you

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor are cooler if the weather is hot.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed at avonleigh house new years eve and day room was small but comfortable and clean. No fridge in room but shared fridge down the stairs. Breakfast was average but adequet. Good spot for some good walks echo point three sisters etc not the best b&b we have stayed at but we had a really good time in katoomba and all in all a comfortable stay at avonleigh house

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple