“perfect weekend getaway”
Review of Mountain Heritage

Mountain Heritage
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Seeking some solitude and a break from hectic Sydney life, I decided to get some fresh air and a taste of nostalga. Upon the recommendation of a friend I booked The Mountain Heritage in Katoomba. It proved to be an ideal choice.
About 100 kms west of Sydney & perched atop of a hill not far from the Leura cafe strip I felt like I'd stepped back in time. Grand, tasteful, warm pre 1900 architecture and furnishings, manicured gardens and a perfect location. The drive from Sydney took just over an hour was in itself a pleasure and practically a straight run once you hit the M4.
The Mountain Heritage is a rare historical gem. I didnt know places like this still exist. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking some ambience, a romantic weekend or somewhere quite to catch up with work.
Staff were in good spirits and seemed geniunely please to greet me upon my arrival which was a welcome change. My room was a good sized 1 bedroom suite with separate lounge and a workable kitchen not that I was planning to do any cooking. The furnishings were perhaps not fit for a king but nice and consistent in style of the hotel. The bath had a large spa.
The view from my room was good though not as spectacular as the one from the wooden balcony directly outside the main hotel lounge which was simply stunning. There I enjoyed a quite afternoon beer while reading the paper & chatting to French honeymooners who also seemed very happy with their stay.
My steak at dinner was very good but the highlight of my weekend was the cheese platter which was simply superb and included REAL honeycomb that was without doubt the best I have ever tasted.
I found the old world charm and serene ambience a perfect toxin to relax my Sydney stressed nerves and I definately will be back.
Those seeking super modern high tech convenience and dozens of staff at your command should try somewhere else but if you want to relax

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank lukman72

Reviewed January 27, 2010

We stayed at the Mountain Heritage for three nights around new years eve. We had an amazing meal in the restaurant and although the restaurant was busy and service a little slow at times, we were always carefully looked after by the attentive staff. As several other reviews point out the hotel is a little old, but that is why we chose to come here, our room was very clean. Next time we are in the area we will definately be back. Oh and the view..... well one of the days we were there it was covered in a thick blanket of fog, but once that cleared it was spectacular.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank takahae
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We booked this before leaving on our trip. The hotel was probably nice in it's day but we found it to be a bit musty smelling. The room was tired with funky smelling pillows...
Breakfast might be good if you bought a package deal but $28 each for some cereal, fruit and toast??? Our waiter was very nice and helpful though....
Needless to say, we would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LASD
Reviewed January 18, 2010

The rooms are incredibly big & nicely appointed. The staff are very helpful. The view from the lodge is fantastic.

We stayed here for 2 days (Jan., 2010). It was enjoyable except for our dinner on the second night.

Dinner: The service was incredibly slow (approx. 50 mins. to be served after waiting 20 mins. to have our order taken. The portions are very small while the bill is very big. Very expensive for the food that you get. This could be excused if the meal were tasty, but it was not. Stay at the lodge, avoid the restaurant for lunch or dinner. The breakfast, on the other hand, was very good.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank jccarter
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Located top of the hill most rooms offer great visibility over Blue Mountains, really enjoyed! Whole building gives strong impression of old days, lovely atmosphere and still everything modern working.
There is lot of space to discuss and have good time with friends, lovely coaches and chairs. So if not going to Katoomba main street pubs you still have alternative to staying rooms.
At restaurant service was full of mistakes and odd behaviour but kitchen knows what they are doing. This happened both evening meal and breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank ettelbruck
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I recently spent some time in the Blue Mountains, which included a stay at the Mountain Heritage Hotel. I love this hotel! A hundred years old with so much beauty to offer. Old world charm is a fitting analogy inside and out. I could only imagine the stories it could tell! Yes there are spots that look a little worn out and weathered(too few to notice), but who cares if there is a small stain on the carpet(it wouldn't ruin my vacation or get me to write a bad review). Enjoy the hotel for what it is - a piece of history. I spent the better part of an hour just looking at old pictures in hotel hallway, a century of ever-changing nearby landscape, buildings, horse "n" buggy, etc. The new and improved staff were friendly and helpful. I had the pleasure of meeting the new general manager- Justin. He was friendly and knowledgeable about the area. He seemed genuinely interested in helping make our entire Blue Mountain experience the best it could be. Also had the chance to dine in the restaurant. Where the food was Very good and the view second to none. It was completely breath taking and relaxing to watch the sunset with a glass of wine from the front terrace. I definitely would stay again, if not just for dinner and a sunset.
Thank you for a memorable time!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank goaves
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Just got back from Katoomba,Blue mountains where we stayed at the Mountain Heritage.We a family of 2adults n 3 kids for the Yulefest package where we paid Aus$1400 for 2 nights in the Valley view suite 2.

Our main bedroom had single 2 beds joined together to create a double bed !

The air-conditioning unit was clicking n knocking noisily and in the still of the night was even more audible,we had very little sleep the 1st night!
The second night we elected to have it turn off.

The shower taps were leaking and the carpets in the bedroom were stained.

As you can understand we won't be rushing back to the overpriced , tired , old hotel that is the Mountain Heritage.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank zeeu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
The Carrington Hotel
#2 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to Mountain Heritage? Share your experiences!